Wasps Nest - Northwich Wall, River Weaver

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Just a heads up for anyone planning a trip on the Weaver. There are 2 mooring spots in Northwich one of which is the river wall BEFORE Town Bridge. At the lower end that does not have mooring bollards but is easier to get off a boat there is a wasps nest near the steps. Found this out this morning as we tried to moor there- the only way to rope boat is to pin in between stones but the hammering disturbed the hive and they attacked the mooring pin with a vengeance! Had to wait a fair while before it could be retrieved with the pole hook.

Has been reported to CRT at Anderton as its their remit. They will endeavour to get someone out beginning of the working week to attend to it.

Has been reported to CRT at Anderton as its their remit. They will endeavour to get someone out beginning of the working week to attend to it.

Isn't this a bit beyond the call of duty? We have wasps nests all over the place every year - in the roof, in the caravan, in the shed and greenhouse. I have never even thought of calling anyone out to deal with them.

Isn't this a bit beyond the call of duty? We have wasps nests all over the place every year - in the roof, in the caravan, in the shed and greenhouse. I have never even thought of calling anyone out to deal with them.

This is in a public area............anyway the CRT people were happy for it to be reported. They have dealt with several over the past weeks I was told.

Usually a bit of rag soaked in diesel, or creosote gets rid of them.

No doubt someone from the wasp protection league will soon be along to call me a cruel waspist b'stard.

Yes you are.

This is in a public area............anyway the CRT people were happy for it to be reported. They have dealt with several over the past weeks I was told.

So you are happy to support and encourage CRT in the murder of the wasps?

I was talking to one of the grass cutting contractors the other day and we noticed a wasp nest by the towpath. He told me that their brief from the Trust was to report them in order for the Trust to deal with them.

Look, it's not the wasp's fault. They had an underpriveliged upbringing, in a broken home. None of them even know who their father is. You should engage with them, even ask them to join in your boating experience. They are simply misunderstood.

Looks like wasps and the UK human population are one and the same then.

I bet you didn't know wasps are built to order, when I was watching a load of wasps which were dead

more wasps came and took the dead ones apart, they were salvaging parts to rebuild.

We moored the other evening just south of Congleton in rain. Attached chains to the piling etc, wondered if the hole in the bank by the path was a vole or a mouse etc. Next morning was sunny and looking out of the window the vole hole was alive with wasps flying in and out. I hate them, but stayed quite a while admiring g their very precise flying in and out of the hole. Far more accurate than my partner going through narrow bridges!!