Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

I woke up this morning on a VM, which was empty except for me.

I phoned CRT and asked if I could stay put, as there is plenty of space at the moment.

I was told the reason I cant stay on the VM (even though it's currently empty), is because YOU LOT WILL COMPLAIN I'VE EXCEEDED THE 48HRS.

So it seems that the real culprits causing all the hassles, is not CRT, who are more than willing to say...heyyy there's plenty of space at the moment....feel free to stay and enjoy until it gets to 75% full...........but BOATERS.....who have put the fear into CRT, that the balance has now swung too far the other way. I managed to extend my stay by 1 day, but if the VMs are still empty tomorrow, I guess I'll have to go moor on the river....not because I'm causing any problems where I am, but because boaters.....complain to CRT if I dont follow the signage to the letter. I could phone CRT again and say...it's still empty...can I stay another day.....but ..they are so worried someone's going to complain, that they'd rather I dont push it.

SO THE PROBLEM IS NOT CRT. IT'S BOATERS. :)

as seen by so many posts on this forum complaining about boats moored where they really aren't affecting anyone else. (15days on the towpath in the same place..).............but...ya know....rules are rules and all that. ;-0

It's no ones fault really....it's what happens when some boaters forget to be considerate to other boaters (obviously I would move the moment I saw the VM start filling up as that would be the right thing to do), so BigBrother have to enforce signage instead, costing us all a fortune I imagine.

I am most grateful I have been told I can stay an extra day and not have to pay the £25 daily mooring rental fee. If I was a little wealthier, I'd just pay it and stay without having to beg.

• Greenie 1

But what happens if boats turn up later?

They may be empty now but that is not to say boats may not be headed your way and one may not be able to get a space because you stayed the extra day.

ed. - Just to add though Dean my personal view is that the 48 hour limit so often seen around these parts is often not generous enough given overall boat movements and numbers - they could in my view stretch some to 72 hour or even longer with the possible exception of Clarence Dock because there are stupidly few places on the VM pontoon there.

Edited by The Dog House

CRT being scared of a few boaters , lol

people really need to get a grip, DeanS is not psychic, he wouldn't know if any boats or no boats are actually coming.

Edited by Dar Kuma

But what happens if boats turn up later?

They may be empty now but that is not to say boats may not be headed your way and one may not be able to get a space because you stayed the extra day.

I'll leave before the last space is filled.....because I really am considerate :)

people really need to get a grip, DeanS is not psychic, he wouldn't know if any boats or no boats are actually coming.

So, best to shift, before the position may be forced on You.

It shouldn't be too difficult for CRT to check VM's during the summer peak system and then say adjust some of the durations from 48 hrs to 5 days but i somehow doubt that will happen. In the recent SE consultation a key aim of CRT was to reduce stay times but as many have said VM's have been rarely full recently.

I'll leave before the last space is filled.....because I really am considerate smile.png

Sadly not all would I suspect take that view, some would just say 'well CRT told me I could stay so I'm staying'.

Whilst i totally agree with your point Dean, surely if other boaters start to 'notice' you've overstayed it will just encourage them to do the same and before you know it the VM will be full of piss takers and CRT will have to step in and carry out enforcement ofthe rules. Are there no other VM's you could move on to for the sake of playing by the rules?

I understand you personally don't have to worry about the distance 'guidelines', at least do the spirited thing and follow the 'time allowed' rules eh?

Boaters who just can't accept time limits.

Not true. I have moored on the river, off the VMs, and am quite happy to do it again...and will tomorrow....I travelled 100 locks to get here, and need to wait for my kids to return by train next Sunday. The real issue, is that in Leeds, they have space for about 10 more visiting boats, but have decided not to use them, providing only 4 spaces at any one time. But we're going off topic ;-) Like I say...I'll move off the VMs as soon as I see more boats arriving.

Sadly not all would I suspect take that view, some would just say 'well CRT told me I could stay so I'm staying'.

Yes I know. It is sad. Also, if someone had money, they wouldnt have to beg CRT to stay another day, they would just wait for the bill. It's cheaper than a Travel Lodge daily rate.

You're doing it wrong Dean - If you want to stay an extra day, you dont phone CaRT and tell them; you open your engine hatch and scatter some tools around and then if the mooring warden comes round you tell them you've nearly fixed the problem & will be off as soon as possible. ;)ninja.gif

That is precisely my point,I didn't say I expected him or CRT to know this that is why though they have limits (though as I said in my edit they are often too low at certain spots in my view)

Whilst i totally agree with your point Dean, surely if other boaters start to 'notice' you've overstayed it will just encourage them to do the same and before you know it the VM will be full of piss takers and CRT will have to step in and carry out enforcement ofthe rules. Are there no other VM's you could move on to for the sake of playing by the rules?

I understand you personally don't have to worry about the distance 'guidelines', at least do the spirited thing and follow the 'time allowed' rules eh?

They have barricaded the other 10 VMs off, so no one can use them. The VMs further up, are £6 per day.

Can you move off the VM but not go that far? For example, about 6' beyond the last ring, and use pins to moor on?

If he is still in Leeds I doubt it.

I'll leave before the last space is filled.....because I really am considerate smile.png

Say for example you looked out the window and there was still 1 space left on the VM at 6pm this evening and settled down to The One Show and a few cans of Stella. Then 2 boats turn up at 7pm who have been travelling together and had a really hard day. Either one of them doesn't get a mooring which would technically be unfair if you'd already overstayed, or you'd have to untie and set off in search of another mooring in the middle of the evening.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here. I actually agree with you that it is a shame common sense cannot prevail sometimes.

They have barricaded the other 10 VMs off, so no one can use them. The VMs further up, are £6 per day.

If you mean Granary Wharf I believe that charge has been found to be invalid when discussed on here.

You're doing it wrong Dean - If you want to stay an extra day, you dont phone CaRT and tell them; you open your engine hatch and scatter some tools around and then if the mooring warden comes round you tell them you've nearly fixed the problem & will be off as soon as possible. wink.pngninja.gif

You mean that works outside London aswell?

So it seems that the real culprits causing all the hassles, is not CRT, who are more than willing to say...heyyy there's plenty of space at the moment....feel free to stay and enjoy until it gets to 75% full...........but BOATERS.....who have put the fear into CRT, that the balance has now swung too far the other way. I managed to extend my stay by 1 day, but if the VMs are still empty tomorrow, I guess I'll have to go moor on the river....not because I'm causing any problems where I am, but because boaters.....complain to CRT if I dont follow the signage to the letter. I could phone CRT again and say...it's still empty...can I stay another day.....but ..they are so worried someone's going to complain, that they'd rather I dont push it.

For the third time in two days I see people mixing up this forum with real life. Where exactly do you get the paranoia from Dean?

No-one gives a toss whether you stay there as long as you're not abusing someone else's desire to use those facilities.

Except.... the mass whingers of CWDF.

As you demonstrated CRT don't care. The law on Visitor Moorings is obscure anyway (cue 15 pages of 'discussion' on the meaning of the words 'service' and 'restriction'.

You are simply setting yourself up by bringing this real world non-problem into this hate filled cesspit. Perhaps counselling could get to the root cause of that?

• Greenie 2

Can you move off the VM but not go that far? For example, about 6' beyond the last ring, and use pins to moor on?

I would if I could...lol.

Cmon...be honest....if you were on a VM (asking everyone, not you specifically), and it was completely empty..............and your time was up.....would you move because the sign said so, or would you perhaps ask if you can use one of the berths......while it's so empty (midweek.....I imagine it will fill up again from Fri?)

If you mean Granary Wharf I believe that charge has been found to be invalid when discussed on here.

If it's the ones that the security come to collect, i believe there is a whole thread on here somewhere which concluded that they had no right to charge.

If it's the ones that the security come to collect, i believe there is a whole thread on here somewhere which concluded that they had no right to charge.

That's the one.