Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

Dean - can you see Meadow Pipit moored on the river? Ian and Polly quite often moor on that stretch. If you have any concerns about the water level go and speak to them. If you are on twitter they are @meadowpipit2 and @yorkshireboat. Ian's contact no can be found on his website www.yorkshireboatservices.com he is really nice guy and will be happy to give you advice.

Many Thanks.

I'm quite content at the moment...live is wonderful, the river is quiet (except for the roar of the nearby weir...gulp.).

Although things can get a little animated on the forum, in real life, I'm just sitting ere on me boot, waiting fir me tea!

I have made mental notes of level markers opposite the boat to look at during the night.

I havent looked :)

About the "emergency moorings" below the bottom lock, they have taped it all up with orange plastic tape stuff and put a sign saying...pontoon out of order (it's a but wonky). If you look at my pic....if I pull the boat right forward, there is a wall that sticks out...which would protect me from any trees and gunk that might come flowing down...and as long as the boat can rise with the levels, it should be ok I imagine? The huge thunderstorms we had last week created a bit of a current, but nothing too disastrous.......I think it would take a few days of solid rain to really make it dangerous, and I'd move myself back onto the VMs probably...or a piece of spare wall in Clarence Dock :)

Dean - it's not so much the going up it's the coming back down that presents the real risk.

In the unlikely event that the Aire rose enough to lift and float your boat over the wall you are moored against you would risk being stranded or capsizing as it slips from being partly caught on the wall top.

Extreme? Yes. Likely given current conditions? No.

make shift fenders till I can afford dem smart wuns wat people got.

baked potatoes, salad, gammon steaks :)

No TV tonight though unless you sort that aerial out.

Like many others you seem more concerned with other's doings than your own.

If you're healthy enough to walk half a mile why should it be any concern of yours whether the boats on the visitor moorings have been there half an hour or 10 days?

Or are you happier when you're whinging? Gives you something to do perhaps while you walk that whole half a mile.

This post is called 'Empty visitors moorings - overstaying' I merely raised the case that this weekend one of the 4 VMs at Aynho was blocked by a boat that had been there 14 days - according to people who live there. In terms of verifiable facts I know he was there for over 48 hours at least, as we stayed that long and he was there when we arrived and there when we left and the boat was locked up and empty.

Why shouldn't it be my concern? Especially if it makes me have to go way past where I want to be? Why do you Mr Pink always have to take such a rude and offensive tone?

• Greenie 1

This post is called 'Empty visitors moorings - overstaying' I merely raised the case that this weekend one of the 4 VMs at Aynho was blocked by a boat that had been there 14 days - according to people who live there. In terms of verifiable facts I know he was there for over 48 hours at least, as we stayed that long and he was there when we arrived and there when we left and the boat was locked up and empty.

Why shouldn't it be my concern? Especially if it makes me have to go way past where I want to be? Why do you Mr Pink always have to take such a rude and offensive tone?

He/she may have permission from CRT to leave the boat there for a while. You never know.

Love the fenders, they transit tyres?

Darren

I've found that tyres (alone) are almost useless as fenders, even when vertical. It doesn't take a massive force to compress them greatly. We are moored on the SU and have the Shroppie shelf to deal with. Previously we had 2x vertical tyres tied together, but they compress too much when a boat passes and a bang on the shelf occurs. So we went to horizontal wheel & tyre (which floats) and the problem no longer exists. Maybe its different for a makeshift front fender, but its a worthwhile general consideration.

He/she may have permission from CRT to leave the boat there for a while. You never know.

Fair point but there was nothing on the boat to say so and as I said there is a boat yard 100 yds away with plenty of space and bearing in mind the OPs request to stay just one day more being turned down I not sure it would be likely anyway.

Fair point but there was nothing on the boat to say so and as I said there is a boat yard 100 yds away with plenty of space and bearing in mind the OPs request to stay just one day more being turned down I not sure it would be likely anyway.

There is no requirement to display a 'CRT' aware notice on a boat when you have secured agreement from them to overstay.

If Dean had (falsely) claimed to CRT he had a problem I would wager his over stay would have been granted.

Exactly. The thread was about Dean's concern about staying on an empty visitor mooring for longer than the signed time.

I predicted that the usual whingers would be along with their favourite bit of finger pointing and you don't disappoint. I simply point out that if you were concerned with yourself rather than the perceived wrongdoing of others you may ultimately feel better.

I am sorry if you find that offensive but there you go.

It makes absolutely no difference how long Boat X has been on Aynho visitor mooring either to Dean's conundrum or your mooring well being. If the moorings had been full with boats that had been there 20 minutes you'd still have had to moor in the same place but you would have had to forego your boring and predictable moan.

I've just been on a long cruise in the height of the season. In every single case I have gone beyond the visitor moorings, usually by half a mile sometimes further, sometimes I've turned and gone the other way. I haven't felt the need to moan or to take particular notice of boats overstaying or not. I've found myself a nice spot and enjoyed it. I suggest you do the same. You'll feel much better.

I think the problem may be that you had the temerity to stick your toe into Chris's "hate filled cesspit" make sure you extract it safely.

Edited to add I'm currently moored well away from Visitor Moorings

Edited by Tuscan
  • Greenie 1

Ah did you like that Mark?

I thought it a bit hyperbolic but nicely poetic so I let it go.

And your contribution to this thread is.... what exactly?

Edited to add I'm currently moored well away from Visitor Moorings

eta: ah, I see, are you starting a poll? I'm not either.

Edited by Chris Pink

That's fine Mr Pink - I've asked the Moderator to take a view on how you write on here.

I would the same as he has done for years expressing his views straight to the point.

I am now having my 3rd night on the 24 hour mooring still no more boats than when I arrived.

I would the same as he has done for years expressing his views straight to the point.

I am now having my 3rd night on the 24 hour mooring still no more boats than when I arrived.

You will have your IWA membership revoked !!

I think I'll say this before leaving this forum for good. I've chatted and still chat on many forums, both to do with boats and other topics. In general this one has been informative helpful and often quite funny.

However there is a cadre of people on here who seem to think they can talk to others in any way they see fit. I'm not talking about the content of their posts because a good debate is good fun. But one sometimes feels one is walking on eggshells because if one has the temerity to express a view it results - not in a debate - but vitriolic put downs. Sorry life's too short.

• Greenie 3

You will have your IWA membership revoked !!

I will be moving tomorrow and leaving the moorings empty. I shall then report into IWA put my hands up to my terrible sin and then I might get a reply to my email.

I think I'll say this before leaving this forum for good. I've chatted and still chat on many forums, both to do with boats and other topics. In general this one has been informative helpful and often quite funny.

However there is a cadre of people on here who seem to think they can talk to others in any way they see fit. I'm not talking about the content of their posts because a good debate is good fun. But one sometimes feels one is walking on eggshells because if one has the temerity to express a view it results - not in a debate - but vitriolic put downs. Sorry life's too short.

Fair enough. A few years ago I was on the Llangollen a guy was moaning about a boat that had been on a 48 hour mooring for over 1 week now I happened to know that the lady on the boat had had a heart attack and died in hospital 3 days later while a ll this had been going on her husband had somehow completely forgotten to move his boat off the 48 hour mooring. Another boater had informed BW. The boater that was complaining soon learnt a lesson in not judging what other boats do without knowing the facts.

The only member who has given you any real jip is Chris Pink and most of us now just park his posts and move on, unless it's an occasion where he adds some value which is often.

So you are going to leave the forum on the basis of one members posts...

Silly boy.

Edited by The Dog House