Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

Yes I do and as I said if you can't get on the VMs then you have to go at least half a mile away if you want to visit the shop/chandlery/pub -

Half a mile?

I trust you are wearing stout walking boots and are carrying enough emergency rations for a couple of days.

Yep a fisherman told us recently that on the far side a boat got stuck in the shallows. ...he was fishing near the GW locks...so one of those outer bends approaching it on the river is shallow

When you travel this river section, it really does seem there are bollards and rings along a lot of the walls...but not all are great for disembarking....

That was probably me boat.gif I got stuck one night but it was because I didn't have my bilge pump on and my boat had took a load of water. As soon as I pumped it all out I was floating again.

Yep a fisherman told us recently that on the far side a boat got stuck in the shallows. ...he was fishing near the GW locks...so one of those outer bends approaching it on the river is shallow

When you travel this river section, it really does seem there are bollards and rings along a lot of the walls...but not all are great for disembarking....

The river has been quite low in recent months, the weir at Crown Point needs seriously repairing as it's about a foot down than usual. Last week they just repaired the weir at knotstrop.

Dean

If you need to move again, I think that there is a floating pontoon just below Leeds Lock No1. turn left out of the lock and it's just below the C&RT offices. You'd need to check, but I'm fairly sure it's a normal mooring. I've never seen a boat on it, but that may be because it isn't obvious.

Bob

YUP.Its beginning to rain. Gulp.

BBC weather shows rain tonight till about 5 am to the west, which is more where you need to be thinking about rather than Leeds itself but then dry tomorrow, Thursday and Friday till tea time.

I can't see it being sustained enough to cause a big problem in Leeds.

(Didn't Michael Fish once famously say something similar and got well bitten on his backside)

Dean

If you need to move again, I think that there is a floating pontoon just below Leeds Lock No1. turn left out of the lock and it's just below the C&RT offices. You'd need to check, but I'm fairly sure it's a normal mooring. I've never seen a boat on it, but that may be because it isn't obvious.

Bob

If things get hairy and I'm not sure they are going to, there is that one and the one further along for the sanitary station which would provide refuge in an emergency.

Dean

Bob

There was a thread on here about that mooring a while ago, it was a '1hr mooring', but BW/CRT confirmed it no longer was. The sign needed to be removed at that time, no idea if it's still up.

There was a thread on here about that mooring a while ago, it was a '1hr mooring', but BW/CRT confirmed it no longer was. The sign needed to be removed at that time, no idea if it's still up.

I havent looked :)

About the "emergency moorings" below the bottom lock, they have taped it all up with orange plastic tape stuff and put a sign saying...pontoon out of order (it's a but wonky). If you look at my pic....if I pull the boat right forward, there is a wall that sticks out...which would protect me from any trees and gunk that might come flowing down...and as long as the boat can rise with the levels, it should be ok I imagine? The huge thunderstorms we had last week created a bit of a current, but nothing too disastrous.......I think it would take a few days of solid rain to really make it dangerous, and I'd move myself back onto the VMs probably...or a piece of spare wall in Clarence Dock :)

I havent looked :)

About the "emergency moorings" below the bottom lock, they have taped it all up with orange plastic tape stuff and put a sign saying...pontoon out of order (it's a but wonky). If you look at my pic....if I pull the boat right forward, there is a wall that sticks out...which would protect me from any trees and gunk that might come flowing down...and as long as the boat can rise with the levels, it should be ok I imagine? The huge thunderstorms we had last week created a bit of a current, but nothing too disastrous.......I think it would take a few days of solid rain to really make it dangerous, and I'd move myself back onto the VMs probably...or a piece of spare wall in Clarence Dock :)

Although I've not heard anything I would be more concerned sbout getting untied than owlt river wise.

Although I've not heard anything I would be more concerned sbout getting untied than owlt river wise.

erm. thx. Now Im more worried...lol.

To be honest, this patch doesnt seem to be on the way to any pubs....and the people who walk by seem to be all the residence of CD area. The folk who aquaint the restaurant seem to be the local after work crowd. Leeds seems quite well mannered :) But yes...it's not the best....I may go and tie a rope on beneath the water line just in case....would hate to float down the weir.

Was great to meet you Robbo :)

Half a mile?

I trust you are wearing stout walking boots and are carrying enough emergency rations for a couple of days.

Sarcasm noted and understood but my point was that this was at the expense of someone hogging a limited 48 hour mooring for over 14 days - or are you condoning this??

Sarcasm noted and understood but my point was that this was at the expense of someone hogging a limited 48 hour mooring for over 14 days - or are you condoning this??

I dont think anyone would condone that.

What about 21 days on a towpath ;-)

Dean you worry to much I have been on the same VM 24h for 2 days now still plenty of space if anyone needs to moor. Should they fill up like you I would move but until that happens I am staying put. I have had this discussion before IMO if VM,s are empty with plenty of spaces no harm done by staying anyway as a CCer it will give people something to moan about.

For some reason, this post made me chuckle. I'm terribly sorry to those who dont think it's funny. I'm falling over in hysterics.

Like many others you seem more concerned with other's doings than your own.

If you're healthy enough to walk half a mile why should it be any concern of yours whether the boats on the visitor moorings have been there half an hour or 10 days?

Or are you happier when you're whinging? Gives you something to do perhaps while you walk that whole half a mile.

No I'm not condoning it.

Being unaware of the circumstances I am not condemning it either.

Clearly not amnesia then!

1. Visitor moorings are there for everyone.

2. Your other points are based on incorrect assumptions.

3. Please define, based on what you know to be facts (not incorrect assumptions) what my selfishness was, and who exactly I've been selfish towards.

To be honest I couldn't give a monkey's toss whether you're on the visitor mooring or not, it won't inconvenience me I almost never use them and then only as brief overnight stops.

What attracted my derision is your assertion that you need more time on the visitor mooring because you're incapable of tying your boat up properly.

Edited by Chris Pink

YUP.Its beginning to rain. Gulp.

Dean - can you see Meadow Pipit moored on the river? Ian and Polly quite often moor on that stretch. If you have any concerns about the water level go and speak to them. If you are on twitter they are @meadowpipit2 and @yorkshireboat. Ian's contact no can be found on his website www.yorkshireboatservices.com he is really nice guy and will be happy to give you advice.