Uninvited Guest

Captain Zim

Featured Posts

So about 45 minutes ago me and the misses are bathing the baby when she hears a noise. She says it's someone knocking, I'm not so sure. We go back to the bath. Next thing she hears a noise and gets up to open an internal door the other side of which is a man. Six foot inside our boat, apparently about to knock on internal door. Understandably misses is confused. I, meanwhile, am holding son in bath so unable to journey to door and ask chap politely what exactly is going on. Man introduces himself. I'm so and so, he says. I'm terribly sorry, I knocked but got no answer and then I saw this door and thought I should knock on that. I'm often out walking my dogs and at at half one in the morning some kids were trying to nick your bike. This is a shortened version of conversation, interspersed with misses basically still shocked and me listening. He leaves very apologetic and saying he's on a boat up the way, no boat name given, but described as an old frigate. We must keep vigilant, he says. By the time I finished bathing boy I went and had a look for him and not a sight of blue shirted man on any boat nearby.

Questions please:

Would anyone ever, unless life in danger, go inside someone elses boat like this?

Where were his dogs?

Why did I not hear kids trying to steal bike when bike is directly over my bed?

Why did he not simply shout or knock louder?

Mostly, has anyone ever had similar?

Thanks

I'd tend to agree. Opportunist (or planned) theft attempt. Always knock first if you are breaking in/gaining illegal access on the assumption the place is empty, surely you'd be mad no to!!

What area did this happen in? If he really is a boater, other boaters might know him or his boat.

As you say though, coming aboard and inside is totally illogical, especially with what he then said. The only thing I could think of that someone could say and be even slightly credible in that situation would be "I saw the door open and knocked, when you didn't answer I was concerned someone was hurt or that an intruder had been in and came to check."

Mind maybe that's just me; like in some areas of the UK I believe that it is normal to knock and then try the door and if it's open, wander in calling "hello?"

Edited by Starcoaster

Well see me with a suspicious mind was tending towards these same thoughts so that's why I thought I'd ask. But seems odd to show your face if you are on the rob, surely? Or so I thought but now the old knock first trick makes sense. Our outer door is usually wide open most of the time so it must have been obvious someone was on board. I suppose I was really wondering if any other boater would go aboard like this. I would never dream of doing this.

He might have got aboard thinking no one is there. He then realises when he's already inside that you are, and has to choose between trying to retreat and get off really gently so as not to alert you to the fact he was inside and retreating (which would obviously look totally guilty) or deciding to face you plainly with some made up tale to explain his presence, and leave openly, assuming you will think everything is normal. He then knows, of course, that he cannot possibly hit your boat at a later point, because it will be obvious (ish) that it was him who did it, or is at least worthy of a description to the police.

I also consider that it may be exactly as he said and totally innocent, but no, if I knock for someone I don't even glance in their windows or doorways to see if they are in, much less get on board and walk through a door (open or otherwise) and go roaming about.

Edited by NB Alnwick
Inappropriate reference removed

Had a similar incident last week at Great Haywood. Guy knocked on boat at 10.40pm. We were all in bed including our grandchildren. Got up to check and he claimed to be doing 'night patrol' for 'waterways'!! Thought he may have been seeing if anyone on board before breaking in. Anyway told him to 'move along' !! Reported to police canalwatch.

May I suggest you go out and knock on the other boats nearby and tell them about this?

If you encounter the blue-shirted man you can say 'thank you for your concern earlier, sorry I seemed shocked'. But I bet you don't find him.

MtB

I've just been down serval local boats to earn them off people like this, every one I knocked at didn't aanswerr butc the y gaff all leffe beer out for mee so mudsaffa known iwus comin k. the thrd boate left elfa bottul of Jura 4 me and that's re eeely nice t2ooo know th eery aporeeciwte mi conceern.