Finally Removed Pump Out

Glynn

Featured Posts

Well after a year of battling with the pump out toilet smells we have finally removed it and fitted a Thetford C260 with china bowl.

This should be the end of the smelly problems.

Hi

A very wise move.

Tim

I followed the same path last winter - fitted the same Thetford cassette too:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/carpenter-or-contortionist.html

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/its-got-to-be-worst-job-on-world.html

But its not a complete end to the smells....

Boat was borrowed this week and cassette must have overflowed - base of cassette unit flooded with urine etc which pooled in some recesses at the back where the wheels sit. Leave to ferment in the heat for a couple of days and hey presto - smells again!

Cleaning out is easier - but not a nice job!

Moral of the story - if the red light comes on change the cassette immediately! (or don't lend the boat to friends).

How absolutely awful. You must all be pottie installing fancy complicated bogs. If you get just a simple old Porta-pottie 365 or similar you can just pull the slide out and pee-p inside to check the contents as I don't trust the gauge even on these, they seem to get clogged up. If you don't fancy peeping inside you can always make and use a nice dipstick with graduation marks on it, like checking your engines oil take regular dip readings with sort of squinty half closed eyes and a peg on your bugle. If you drill a hole at the handle end of the stick it can be hung up on a nail in a handy position next to your bog whilst awaiting its next turn of duty.

Hope this helps. closedeyes.gif

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/carpenter-or-contortionist.html

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/its-got-to-be-worst-job-on-world.html

Boat was borrowed this week and cassette must have overflowed - base of cassette unit flooded with urine etc which pooled in some recesses at the back where the wheels sit. Leave to ferment in the heat for a couple of days and hey presto - smells again!

Moral of the story - if the red light comes on change the cassette immediately! (or don't lend the boat to friends).

A great example of why cassette toilets favour over pump-outs.

Not!

I'm amazed that it still allows you to flush once the red light has come on. What with that and the fact that it then leaks makes it sound like a poor design.

My vacuflush won't flush once the cassette is full (and it doesn't smell).

U still have to empty cassettes

The pump-out vs. cassette discussion has been done to death. It's just personal preference.

However, whatever system you choose it shouldn't smell, and it certainly shouldn't leak!

Edited by blackrose

I'm amazed that it still allows you to flush once the red light has come on. What with that and the fact that it then leaks makes it sound like a poor design.

The red LED is merely an indicator activated by a float inside the cassette. I rely on 'sight' though to determine how full the tank is as you can get more in after the red light activates.

If you over fill them they don't normally leak - ours never did when we had similar issues when our kids were little but what often happens is people don't spot they have been overfilled and remove the holding tank, thus depositing the contents remaining in the bowl into the area where the holding tank slides into. If this is not cleaned PDQ it will start to pong.

If one is leaking because it is over filled I would venture to suggest that there is a fault as the tank seals to the underneath of the bowl.

Of course to avoid this you have to somehow remove what is remaining in the bowl before you slide the holding tank out......nice job.

Edited by The Dog House

As a new poster, I am sheltering under my table as I type this:

We have a standard pump-out bog. We also have a self-pumpout 'pump' with which we can fill some or all of our 4 20l containers at will, thereby rendering it as a 'casette' bog, whenever we want it to.

Shurely this is the best of all bog worlds?

We have a standard pump-out bog. We also have a self-pumpout 'pump' with which we can fill some or all of our 4 20l containers at will, thereby rendering it as a 'casette' bog, whenever we want it to.

Not really but you are to be commended for not self pumping direct into an Elsan point which can overwhelm and block them.

But if you are going to this it's messier (potentially) than just using a cassette system.

But if you are going to this it's messier (potentially) than just using a cassette system.

But nowhere near as often!

Loafer has the same system as we enjoy on our boat and our self pump-out is only there in case we cannot find a pump-out station/facility, or, we get frozen in during winter months. As yet, it's never been needed but is great as a back up.

Boaters will always have their preferences and that's their choice, but for the life of me having had two boats, one with cassette and our present one with pump-out, it's a no-brainer!

It could be as little as about once a month for us, although I do it more often than that, to avoid swamping the disposal points (Dog House). We haven't had to pay for a pumpout since we bought the pump. You get used to the rather 'hands-on' thing after a few goes.

Not to me, and don't call be Shirley biggrin.png

Whilst we have a cassette, which works fine for us thank you, I would see the advantage of a pumpout as having large capacity, and paying someone else to deal with it. Pumping it yourself in to container (that you carry about with you all the time) and them emptying that into the elsan seem the worst of both worlds to me, but it's you choice, and I have no issue if that is what you enjoy doing.

And welcome to the forum....

Why thank you for your welcome. I aim to be respectable. I don't denigrate cassettes, I just don't want to be forced into dealing with it every 3 days. I don't think there will ever be a settlement between the two main parties. I just couldn't imagine my system as the 'worst' though, since it caters for every cruising eventuality.

Well after a year of battling with the pump out toilet smells we have finally removed it and fitted a Thetford C260 with china bowl.

This should be the end of the smelly problems.

I presume you removed the holding tank. As I am thinking of doing the same I'm wondering if it was a mild steel tank

and if so, knowing how darned heavy they are, how you managed to get it out the boat?

John

I presume you removed the holding tank. As I am thinking of doing the same I'm wondering if it was a mild steel tank

and if so, knowing how darned heavy they are, how you managed to get it out the boat?

John

Invest in a good angle grinder, a pair of goggles and some heavy duty leather gauntlet gloves. Have someone standby with a fire extinguisher in case the sparks ignite something on the boat, then set to in cutting the tank down to sections that are easily manageable.

Failing that, simply have the tank properly cleansed out, re-pipe the whole set-up with solid ABS pipes and sell that Lego Loo on Ebay.

Good luck with whatever you opt to do.

Mike

I don't get this complaint about pump outs smelling.

My pump out never smelt. Decent tubing, decent tank, decent toilet = no smells.

Bollocks to emptying cassettes. Horrible job and far too frequent.

Same here!

Whilst I appreciate that everyone is different and the choice is theirs, I cannot logically see the benefit of trawling a plastic cassette around to an Elsan point every few days when you can enjoy two, three or even our weekly intervals between pump outs. It just doesn't add up unless you're a manufacturer of the imitation loos and you wish to accentuate their 'advantages'.