Earwigs...

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

I watered the plant pot earlier and two earwigs came running out. I didn't think much of this. I was just doing some diy in the kitchen and I found one. I am slightly concerned that at least one is inside. I was under the impression they are found wherever it is dark damp and rotting.

Should I be worried?

I watered the plant pot earlier and two earwigs came running out. I didn't think much of this. I was just doing some diy in the kitchen and I found one. I am slightly concerned that at least one is inside. I was under the impression they are found wherever it is dark damp and rotting.

Should I be worried?

Yes. Check your ears.

No it's a sign that you have compost in your plant pot.

They're not that bothered about rot (I rarely encountered them in my rotten wooden boat) and I expect to shake out half a dozen from my caravan awning, when I arrive at the campsite in a few weeks time.

They are pretty harmless so I wouldn't worry about them anyway.

I should have expected that! Seriously though, is it a sign that I have wood rotting somewhere?

We had a fair few in the Gite we were in in France a couple of weeks ago. But there was no sign of any rotting wood. It was all stone floors and walls and the kitchen units didn't have any plinths on so I could see right underneath.

I don't think the two go 'hand in hand' so to speak.

If you've got shaky hands or St Vitusses dance and have to suck tea, soup and drinks up through drinking straws always hold them up to the light and peer up em first cos they are favorite places for Earwigs to make a little home in. If you can't see daylight up it blow through it first before sucking on it to evict em all. Court order, bailiffs and police attendance not necessary. They might threaten you with a Wig though smile.png

I haven't seen earwigs for years. I remember as a kid, I had a scooter (one foot on one foot off type) and I dropped it on the floor and thousands (or what seemed like that many)of earwigs came running out the handle. I never ever went on that scooter again.

So why would one have been in the kitchen? Did it just want somewhere to shade from the heat? - As long as theres no need to worry!

Maybe the poor thing had got lost and was looking for his/her two mates...................................

and, come to think about it, don't they like to hide in top-boxes

Edited by Chop!

So why would one have been in the kitchen? Did it just want somewhere to shade from the heat? - As long as theres no need to worry!

Because you left the door open?

Same thing as why there is a fly in my office right now. No need to think beyond that. They don't do any harm and their presence doesn't mean your boat is sinking or your floor is rotten.

i would rather have 5 earwigs and five spiders in my kitchen rather than 1 fly.

I'd be fascinated to see the research leading up to that conclusion.

Did you gradually introduce the spiders and earwigs until you finally broke and said "Enough! I can't take any more! Send them away and bring me a fly!"

Also did you vary the ratios with, say, 6 earwigs and 4 spiders or 3 earwigs and 7 spiders or did you keep equal numbers throughout the experiment?

What plants did I you have in your pots? Earwigs love certain plants including fuschsias, roses and dahlias to name just a few!

Exactly, they just gnaw on foliage, can make a right mess of plants but have no interest in wood so stop fretting and accept the fact that during the summer with doors and windows open all sort of bugs will find their way into your boat.

Phil

Hah....I used my childhood word for wood lice.

Missus calls them "slaters" in a Sunderland accent which I can't do.

Just as well they are benign, could imagine dodgy punters getting inside a boat for sale, shaking their foot to release a bag full of em stuffed up their trouserlegs and declaring "clearly the boat's full of rot" wink.png of course I'm talking earwigs now ... not slaters.... hang on..... I'll get me coat.

Edited by mark99

I'd be fascinated to see the research leading up to that conclusion.

Did you gradually introduce the spiders and earwigs until you finally broke and said "Enough! I can't take any more! Send them away and bring me a fly!"

Also did you vary the ratios with, say, 6 earwigs and 4 spiders or 3 earwigs and 7 spiders or did you keep equal numbers throughout the experiment?

its a well known fact that 10 is the optimum number of insects that a person should keep in their kitchen.any more and things get cramped.any less and its just not worth your while.never vary the ratios.it upsets the balance and the natural order.

• 2 weeks later...

They are harmless little, creepy bugs. They like to get into places that are dark like under rocks, in cracks, under plant pots, etc. They feed on decaying plant and animal matter and I think they eat other small bugs as well. Take your plants outside and submerge them in a bucket of water. That should take care of them. Good luck with them bugs.