Retrofit Dual Steering.

Jamesb4uk

Featured Posts

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I changed from my 42ft narrowboat to a Bourne 35ft centre cockpit Broads cruiser.

Although I'm getting comfortable controlling the boat, I've only taken her out with the cockpit slid back & friends to help out.

I could happily self hand the NB, but this I'm not too sure unless the roof is slid back - not a good plan with standard UK weather!

question I suppose is - would it be possible to retrofit a second steering position on the rear exterior bulkhead and steer from the rear gunwale?

cable throttle seems straight forward, but there is already a chain from the cockpit wheel, attaching to a steering shaft down one side which then connects to the rudder - this I'm not sure off (I haven't had a look to see this working yet).

James

We had a centre cockpit cruiser years ago, with a fixed roof and side doors/hatches which gave good cover but allowed easy exit to moor up etc. You might find that modifying the steering gives you something that's very heavy to use from the back end or requires the forward position to be disconnected as all the mechanical advantage is at the wheel end.

Is it possible to modify the slide to allow a side door/hatch?

That would be my next idea to somehow modify the wooden superstructure to enable me to crawl out a window/hatch.

cruisers around me here have dual systems but they are all electronic so not much help.

my boat being a 1967 isn't that advanced :D which is fine by me!

James

For the cost of one rowlock and one oar you could steer it from the back. Just mount the rowlock at a laid back angle on the back of your afterdecks centre line, plonk the oar in the rowlock and off yer go. To make it even cheaper just lash the oar at the right angle to something on the transom with a bit of old rope. closedeyes.gif

well that's my thinking too - though i'm not after remote controlled.

just an easier self handed steering location.

If I can run a chain down to the aft end of the shaft already in place, then just add a linkage through the bulkhead with a removable wheel assembly.

then all I need is a 2nd throttle linkage to the engine bay.

James