Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering 2013

Featured Posts

Have you actually tried it?

If you try and seal a metal boat with it, it quickly falls off in my experience!

no, I can't say I've had the pleasure, but I did look at a (composite) boat that relied on puddle clay to stay mostly afloat, on the bottom and footings... that one was soon off the list of boats to buy!

no, I can't say I've had the pleasure, but I did look at a (composite) boat that relied on puddle clay to stay mostly afloat, on the bottom and footings... that one was soon off the list of boats to buy!

A hole in a metal bottom is best sealed with a piece of old towel, well greased, folded up and weighted down over the hole.

Such a repair on Alton last over 12 months without trouble before I was able to dock.

George ex nb Alton retired

When we were recovering redundant day boats from Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd., Coombeswood in the mid 1970's we plugged numerous holes with a thin piece of rubber sandwiched between a nut and bolt. A little ingenuity is sometimes required in order to get the bolt into the hole but this is a simple and effective temporary repair, and I would not be at all surprised if some of these are still in place captain.gif

When we were recovering redundant day boats from Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd., Coombeswood in the mid 1970's we plugged numerous holes with a thin piece of rubber sandwiched between a nut and bolt.

Guess where we are moored right now!..............

Just one solitary Joey tied up by the former tubeworks right now, otherwise the length is completely devoid of boats.

Out of interest, what year would that have been, please Pete?

When we were recovering redundant day boats from Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd., Coombeswood in the mid 1970's we plugged numerous holes with a thin piece of rubber sandwiched between a nut and bolt. A little ingenuity is sometimes required in order to get the bolt into the hole but this is a simple and effective temporary repair, and I would not be at all surprised if some of these are still in place captain.gif[/quote

BCN 1645 has just had several of these removed with the footings!

Dan

Just arrived at Alvecote with "Chalice", although there is now enough of a crush of boats moored online that we are a little way away from it.

We note that "Sickle" has currently been moved to a location part projecting across the marina entrance - if this is her spot for the weekend things might get "interesting".....

Some significant camera issues today, and still trying to salvage some pictures from a lot that need discarding.

But I thought even if the boat pictures were a bit disappointing, I'd show a few CWDF members, or members boats....

Who (or which of their boats) can you spot?

CIMG8796_zpsf6416ff7.jpg

IMG_7716_zpsfdb06e5b.jpg

IMG_7800_zpsb3520b9e.jpg

CIMG8818_zpsb8964718.jpg

CIMG8825_zps2a4dded6.jpg

CIMG8949_zps8e5b0920.jpg

CIMG9013_zpsa3c2bdda.jpg

CIMG9020_zpsd9f4a545.jpg

CIMG9051_zps272aace7.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm aware that not everybody can see public Facebook albums any more, but I can't find another way of putting up a lot of photos quickly on a slightly dodgy connection.

For those who can see them here is a selection from today's (i.ee. Sunday's) parade......

Link to Public Album in Facebook Canal And Rivers UK

Thanks for the great pics Cheshire Rose.

But it's also time to say a huge thank-you to Malcolm Burge for hosting this wonderfully enjoyable weekend, Lawrence Williams for organizing, commentator Norman Mitchell, Paul and all at The Samuel Barlow and everyone involved in making this weekend.

Thank you on behalf of all of us

James

Thanks for the great pics Cheshire Rose.

But it's also time to say a huge thank-you to Malcolm Burge for hosting this wonderfully enjoyable weekend, Lawrence Williams for organizing, commentator Norman Mitchell, Paul and all at The Samuel Barlow and everyone involved in making this weekend.

Thank you on behalf of all of us

James

wot he said clapping.gifclapping.gif

Yup James said all the right words above and put them into an order that I was incapable of doing when I was so tired last night.

People might notice that my photo's have a focus on people - well for Dave and I the weekend was all about the people. Having listened to Python's bilge pump working all night long it was time for action on the Sunday morning as soon as the hour was reasonable enough not to disturb all the people slumbering in back cabins and under cloths in close proximity to us. Over one of Paul's excellent boaters breakfasts I asked Paddy if he had a pair of overall I could borrow (All the clothes I had with me were for "public facing" duties)

Moments after breakfast was finished he materialised with a rather fetching pair of bright orange overalls for me but was wearing a matching pair himself and carrying an LED lantern. He said he had heard enough and was off down in our engine hole to look for himself. As bits of greasy ballast that have been down there since BW converted Python in the 80's were passed out Paddy shouts "I have found it!" and in a blink of an eye people who know far more than us were arriving with suggestions about how to stem the flow. and explaining to us where the hole was and what was likely to have caused it. (It would seem it is a common Josher weakness and she is likely to have worn the corner of her shoe plate) We had planned to drop her in to Paul Barber Boatbuilders on the way back from the festival so he could slip her and attend to the problem but it seems the problem had just got worse. (we probably washed the last of the Grand Union mud out of the hole that had been filling it so nicely for a few months)

Paddy in his fetching orange overalls was replaced by Jim Macdonald in a much more tasteful pair of red overalls who had brought various items he hoped may be of use to stem the flow. The hole was in a channel and so it was impossible to get anything remotely permanent in there but Jim's car wash sponge was pressed into place and the lots of boaters checked their kindling stock to try and find the exact size piece of wood to hold it in place.

The flow had been reduced considerably but we still needed to get her to safety and Jim had suggested that what he had put in place might vibrate loose easily - even with the vibration of the engine. With a 2-3 day trip to Paul Barbers place on The Erewash (including a river section) it was foolhardy to try and get up there. Steve Miles from The Friends of Raymond had offered a tow and Malcolm Burge dropped what he was doing to arrange for people to be down at Grendon dry dock when Python got there. Alan Fincher gave us a tow out of the marina (Sickle is so much eaiser to manouvre than trying to get Nutfield in, turned and then tow us back out again) Then Nick Scarcliffe towed her to Grendon with Nutfield.

During the entire process there was a constant stream of people offering assistance, comforting words and advice. A mug of coffee was pressed into my hand, someone slese dissapeared off to take our rubbish to the skip for us. Rod & Tracy with Biddie & Olive offered us a bed 'ole so we could stay for Sunday night. Ade & Matthew gave up the opportunity to be enjoying the festival to ensure Python was secured in the dock for us.

When we got back from delivering Python we were very tired and felt a little dispossessed and had just agreed that we would get in the car and go home. No - suddenly friends appeared and we were encouraged to share a drink with them and a set of keys for Biddie's back cabin were pressed into my hand. Before we knew it we were relaxed and feeling much happier and I don't know where the rest of the evening went but there was some great beer and some great music and a dancefloor involved! Unable to join in with the boat parade on our own boat we were welcomed onto Sickle which is where I managed to get some of the best photo's

Thanks to everyone who helped to make sure that a weekend that was heading towards being disasterous for us was actually turned into one which is memorable for all the right reasons. Everyone knows what a fantastic community boaters are. The guys at the festival this weekend enforced that for us. Practical help and assistance, advice, comfort and ensuring we had an enjoyable weekend despite what had happened.

Angels come in many guises

• Greenie 1