Question about fishing competitions

little duck!

Featured Posts

Hello, last Sunday we went for a days cruise, along the way we cruised through several fishing competitions which slowed us down a little and made me stressed as i worry about them not moving their rods in time ( there were some close encounters!) Other halfs parents have aasked to come out this Sunday so my question is will there be fishing competitions in the same areas again? Are they a weekly event or not?

Thanks!

Edited by little duck!

Hello, last Sunday we went for a days cruise, along the way we cruised through several fishing competitions which slowed us down a little and made me sressed as i worry about them not moving their rods in time ( there were some close encounters!) Other halfs parents have aasked to come ou this Sunday so my question is will there be fishing competitions in the same areas again? Are they a weekly event or not?

Thanks!

Hello, last Sunday we went for a days cruise, along the way we cruised through several fishing competitions which slowed us down a little and made me sressed as i worry about them not moving their rods in time ( there were some close encounters!) Other halfs parents have aasked to come ou this Sunday so my question is will there be fishing competitions in the same areas again? Are they a weekly event or not?

Thanks!

No definite answer to this but there may well be more competitions.Dont worry they will move their rods, they tend to wait for the last second though.Just slow a little as you did there is no rush is there.

Ian.

Just as we enjoy our boating, anglers enjoy their sport too. The clubs tend to arrange matches at weekends because most of the participants are ordinary working blokes but they do take these matches very seriously and often there is a substantial cash prize for the winner.

They know you are there but many will hang on until the last moment in the hope of a bite. The very last thing that they want is you to start thrashing about in reverse and disturbing both the swim and their carefully laid ground bait.

Please always slow down, to tick over if possible when passing through a match area. Stay in the centre and don't worry about the rods, they can be very expensive pieces of kit; the angler will always move them out of danger.

They will even speak to you if you follow this simple advice!

Remember - Canals For All.

• Greenie 1

Concur with all the above. Fishing matches might seem an irritant, but remember, it's just as irritating for some of them to have boats chugging through their competition. Things aren't as bad between the 2 user groups as they have been over the years, there's a great deal of mutual respect that virtually didn't exist some 20 odd years ago.

fishing1.gif

Maybe it's because we both seem to have a common "enemy" now (no offense intended) - cyclists!

friends-bicycle.gif

There is a post somewhere on here that was from a fisherman and his advice was to slow down and stay central. don't think you are doing them a favour by moving to the far bank because you aren't, that's the place their ground bait is and the fish they are in the main trying to catch. Only problem I have ever found is that they like to fish at the mooring point of locks, if I can I try to drop off my crew without mooring then hold station in the middle of the canal.

Definitely stay in the middle, and assume that they will move their rods at the last minute, although if you can see that they have fallen asleep, or are in earnest conversation with their neighbour, a quick toot on the horn may be a good precaution. I also give a quick toot when I am about to pass through a bridge-hole if I can see that there is a rod just beyond it whose owner is not visible.

I have also been told - and I believe it used to be in the code of conduct - that you should travel slowly but not necessarily as slow as tickover because not only might you be blown into them by the wind but also they will have to hold their rods up in the air for longer.

Last week some fisherman beckoned us to come closer to the bank, problem was they didnt all want the same thing! One called us over and thanked us and the next one shook his head at us, it's not posssible to manouevre the boat that quickly. I know that we need to share the canals and thats fine but it seems i cant please everyone! We have been shouted at by some for going to fast/ slow in the same competition area, do i just accept this as a fact of life?

Last Sunday I met an oncoming boat at Alperton (GU Paddington Branch) I moved to the right and carried on. Shortly afterwards I thought I heard a call or a whistle and looked back. In the distance I could see a man on the bank waving. I thought no more of it until a few miles later I looked back and thought I could see an incredibly fast fish swimming behind me. I slowed down to see what it was and, you guessed it, a fishing rod rose to the surface! I had already gone miles so there was no way I could go back. So if you lost your rod last weekend PM me, it is on the roof of my boat!

Yes you have to accept that it is absolutely impossible to please everybody. Also if they are not catching much, they need someone to blame (ie the boats) and if they are bored a good rant gives them something to do.

Also the boat before you may have been particularly rude, or travelled too fast in the wrong place, and you will get the backlash from that. Just do your own thing, as considerately as possible, and gain satisfaction from knowing that at least you tried.

Last Sunday I met an oncoming boat at Alperton (GU Paddington Branch) I moved to the right and carried on. Shortly afterwards I thought I heard a call or a whistle and looked back. In the distance I could see a man on the bank waving. I thought no more of it until a few miles later I looked back and thought I could see an incredibly fast fish swimming behind me. I slowed down to see what it was and, you guessed it, a fishing rod rose to the surface! I had already gone miles so there was no way I could go back. So if you lost your rod last weekend PM me, it is on the roof of my boat!

I hope you had the appropriate rod licence rolleyes.gif

I have also been told by a fisherman that they like a boat to come past every now and again to increase fish activity. Not sure how this works. Maybe when you pass the fish think that you will stir up the silt and there will be something for them to feed on.

I assume that there are dedicated fishermen (or should I say Anglers) on here that can give a better understanding of the whys and reasons.

Unless asked otherwise I keep to the middle on tick over, trying not to stir up the mud and pass the time of day as I go by.

Some anglers are happy with this, some ask me to move towards either bank (which I'm happy to do), some ignore me and some say 'Hello' with a smile.

There is not much else you can do, other than stopping cruising, so you just have to take the rough with the smooth and accept that someone in the line maybe, "Having a bad day" and give you the benefit of how they are feeling - just don't rise to the bait smile.png

Hello, last Sunday we went for a days cruise, along the way we cruised through several fishing competitions which slowed us down a little and made me stressed as i worry about them not moving their rods in time ( there were some close encounters!) Other halfs parents have aasked to come out this Sunday so my question is will there be fishing competitions in the same areas again? Are they a weekly event or not?

Thanks!

Being a fisherman myself(although not a matchman) I can tell you as long as boaters slow down a little that's all you can do. Don't worry, the anglers will move their rods in time(usually long poles for matches) You won't spoil the fishing either, in fact a lot of times the anglers will get bites just after a boat has passed as the boats wake stirs up the food particles the anglers have put in and the fish feed on this. They are definitely not put off, after all they are used to boats.

Edited by paul68

A friend of mine who was a match angler (good enough to be in the England team) told me that anglers who shout at boaters are usually bad ones, looking for an excuse for the fact that they aren't catching any fish.

I think part of the problem was that we were one of about 10 boats moving within a very short space of time, it must be annoying to have to keep moving the rod but like some one else said we are all entitiled to use the canals but some of them make me feel guilty!

The fishing club near bath keeps postin gup signs saying things like

"Fishing competition - sunday the Xth of X - moving boats prohibited between 10am and 3pm"

and other such guff.

They surely can't ban boats - can they?

I think part of the problem was that we were one of about 10 boats moving within a very short space of time, it must be annoying to have to keep moving the rod but like some one else said we are all entitiled to use the canals but some of them make me feel guilty!

No, they can't. But it's not stopped them trying!

Presumably only if CRT agree and there is a stoppage notice posted (like for duck races!).

I normally just slow down a bit and carry on down the middle. In must cases the anglers just ignore you. Never yet had one not get the rod out of the way, but it they don't I think the boat will win.

It may be possible, if the club has a website, to find out competion dates from that. That is how I used to save myself from meltdown walking along the towpath into Brewood on a Sunday - you think they're a nuisance to boaters, try using the towpath.

There is no harm being polite and friendly to them but remember the canal is a navigation, it is not there for their benefit. Their use of it is incidental to its main purpose. They are welcome to enjoy it provide they do not hinder navigation. So my advice would be don't try to please/placate them, just boat as you normally would.

Anyone fishing on locks or lock landings gets treated as if they are not there. They should know the rules.

• Greenie 1

Anyone fishing on locks or lock landings gets treated as if they are not there. They should know the rules.

We came up Wilmcote on Monday, and there were anglers on the vistor moorings there, which seemed unreasonable to me. Much of the South Straford towpath is not suitable to get a boat into the side, but they can fish from anywhere they want. Lock landings and visitor mooring in my opinion should be "no fishing" (rant over).

Team Tawny Owl Top Tips for angling competitions:

• Slow down and stick to the middle - you can't satisfy everyone so at least it's the same for all
  • Trust that they know what they are doing - Sometimes the boat's movement leads to them hooking a fish. This works for kingfishers too. They will raise their expensive rods
  • Ask each angler how they are doing - you can use the information you gather with anglers further down 'Oh really, the bloke back there has caught nothing/one/loads'
  • Say thank you to anglers as you pass - they have stopped what they were doing to let you through, and it confuses the hell out of them
  • Make the most of the experience, there will be a final angler in the competition - eventually

Richard

Team Tawny Owl Top Tips for angling competitions:

• Slow down and stick to the middle - you can't satisfy everyone so at least it's the same for all
  • Trust that they know what they are doing - Sometimes the boat's movement leads to them hooking a fish. This works for kingfishers too. They will raise their expensive rods
  • Ask each angler how they are doing - you can use the information you gather with anglers further down 'Oh really, the bloke back there has caught nothing/one/loads'
  • Say thank you to anglers as you pass - they have stopped what they were doing to let you through, and it confuses the hell out of them
  • Make the most of the experience, there will be a final angler in the competition - eventually

Richard

This seems very reasonable.

Are you sure you are feeling well Richard?

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

We came up Wilmcote on Monday, and there were anglers on the vistor moorings there, which seemed unreasonable to me. Much of the South Straford towpath is not suitable to get a boat into the side, but they can fish from anywhere they want. Lock landings and visitor mooring in my opinion should be "no fishing" (rant over).

Our problem is not so much them being on the actual lock landings but fishing very close to them making the approach a lot more diffiult than it needs to be, it,s a particular problem at Syke house lock on the New Junction canal. Why the maggot drowners can't just move a few yards along completely confounds me.

I had a right shouting out from an angler who was on a one boat long lock landing that wanted. He was determined not to move his keep net thinking I would give up and go somewhere else.

In the end and at the last second he pulled it out, shouting and cursing that I should have gone to the other side, which was nothing but weeds. When I pointed out that he shouldn't fish from a lock mooring he said he'd fished there for xxx years had never heard of such rule.

Bob

I had a right shouting out from an angler who was on a one boat long lock landing that wanted. He was determined not to move his keep net thinking I would give up and go somewhere else.

In the end and at the last second he pulled it out, shouting and cursing that I should have gone to the other side, which was nothing but weeds. When I pointed out that he shouldn't fish from a lock mooring he said he'd fished there for xxx years had never heard of such rule.

Bob

Perhaps he needs to check then, seems to be spelt out quite simply to me http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/guidelines-for-fishing-along-canals-and-rivers