New book on historic narrow boats

Hastings

Featured Posts

Our new book was published a few weeks ago, and should interest most readers of this section of CanalWorld.

"Historic Working Narrow Boats Today" is a pictorial book of 465 historic boats in nearly 600 colour photos, all taken within the last few years. It's the only book of its kind, and we regard it as an important historic record. There are quite a few books about working boat history, but until now none has looked at how they are today. We have discovered a fair few boats that were not on the HNBC list, but are now. That list has around 840 known boats, so this book contains around 55%.

The photos are accompanied by brief notes on each boat, and are divided into sections, each covering (in most cases) the company for whom the boats were built. Nearly all the photos were taken by David Williams, a volunteer lock keeper at Audlem on the Shroppie, and the text is by Peter Silvester of Audlem Mill, who was lucky enough to see quite a lot of of the boats when working in the 1960s.

The book is A4 softback, full colour, 110 pages. The price is £19.95 (plus postage), and it is available from www.canalbookshop.co.uk . Being self published and short run, the book is not intended to make a profit - simply covering the costs of the photography, research and production.

Enquiries to Audlem Mill 01270 811059.

Peter

Mine neither!! Or my mum and dads! I have to say though it was a great looking book, being pushed well by the HNBC at Braunston, and had I the money I would have purchased.

I think there are some errors though as, I heard a couple of comments at the stand that the information was incorrect.

Are there plans for a vol.2?

Dan

I'd buy it, but my boat's not in it. sad.png

Sorry, but if we had waited until we had photos of every one of the 840+ boats, I'd be too old to produce the book! But seriously, we hope to produce a Volume 2 at some point in the future, with many more boats, and we'll try to ensure that your Severner is in. At least there are several in the current book.

Peter

Mine neither!! Or my mum and dads! I have to say though it was a great looking book, being pushed well by the HNBC at Braunston, and had I the money I would have purchased.

I think there are some errors though as, I heard a couple of comments at the stand that the information was incorrect.

Are there plans for a vol.2?

Dan

Dan - see above re a Volume 2. And if you hear of any errors, please contact us. Because the book is printed in short runs, we can correct things for the next reprint. To be fair in any non-fiction book, the odd error is inevitable. We have tried to minimise errors, but some may have slipped through.

Peter

I think that this is an excellent project, and am happy to help provide photos to Vol 2!

Thank you.

We have thoroughly enjoyed producing the book, which has already sold out its initial print run and is currently being reprinted. We think that the book fills a big gap, and would be pleased to receive a photo or three of Willow (or any other boat not included in our book) for the next volume. Please email images to info@audlemmill.co.uk, with details of the date of the photo and location (we will not publish photos without this information). We will of course acknowledge your photo and copyright in the book. Realistically, it may be a couple of years before we have enough photos to put the next volume together!

Peter

I can't imagine the big nasty being in it,we don't get out much and we don't do photogenic . Hopefully somebody will bring a copy to the BCM do so I get a chance to look at it.

Good luck with volume 2

You're right, Halsall isn't in the book, but it could be in Vol. 2. Please see my response above to Black Ibis.

Many thanks

Peter

Hastings I do wish you well with book 2 but there are loads of big Northwiches about and most are much more photogenic and better ambassadors for the canals and historic boats. With this in mind I would prefer not to be included. If I sell the boat maybe it could be in book 3 or 4.

I do think the book is a good idea though, it deserves to be popular and sell well.

Should blatant advertising, not be in the advertising forum?

<And before you rip my head off, profit making or not, this book uses images of other peoples private property for financial gain. Are all the published boats's owners aware, and have they given their consent for their property to be used in this way? >

Hastings I do wish you well with book 2 but there are loads of big Northwiches about and most are much more photogenic and better ambassadors for the canals and historic boats. With this in mind I would prefer not to be included. If I sell the boat maybe it could be in book 3 or 4.

I do think the book is a good idea though, it deserves to be popular and sell well.

Point taken, but thank you for your comments.

Luctor et emergo said:

<And before you rip my head off, profit making or not, this book uses images of other peoples private property for financial gain. Are all the published boats's owners aware, and have they given their consent for their property to be used in this way? >

As publisher, I asked the site owner's permission to include a piece about the book before posting it, and consent was given.

As to the photographs, the law is perfectly clear. If the photo is taken from a public place, or even one concessionarily accessible to the public, then no consent is needed. Otherwise, how would newspapers, television etc. ever publish anything? There is no requirement to consult boat owners. Think about Waterways World, Canal Boat, Towpath Talk etc. There are lots of photos of boats in them.

And Winja asks "when will further copies of volume 1 be ready ?" We expect the printers to deliver them on or about Thursday 18 July, possibly slightly earlier. Sorry about running out - the demand was far higher than expected.

Peter

This is the exact reason I have not published the multitude of reference books I have produced, not because of legal implications but of moral ones. I have spoken with hundreds of 'historic' boat owners during the past 40 years or so, both previous and current and they have all supplied me with information without charge. It would therefore be wrong for me to sell this information whether it be for profit, perceived profit or no profit. I am however always happy to answer specific questions and I spend hours constructing boat histories for owners (but never to prospective purchasers) and I always decline any payment. I know that some people may consider my standards to be imperious but that is just the way it is.

My 'historic' narrow boat photograph collection stands somewhere in the region of 5000, and they are all taken by me. This collection includes all extant G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats from 1990 onwards, most extant F.M.C. Ltd. narrow boats as well as countless others.

• Greenie 1

Thank you.

We have thoroughly enjoyed producing the book, which has already sold out its initial print run and is currently being reprinted. We think that the book fills a big gap, and would be pleased to receive a photo or three of Willow (or any other boat not included in our book) for the next volume. Please email images to info@audlemmill.co.uk, with details of the date of the photo and location (we will not publish photos without this information). We will of course acknowledge your photo and copyright in the book. Realistically, it may be a couple of years before we have enough photos to put the next volume together!

Many thanks

Peter

Will send you some. Can also advertise that you're looking for more via the HNBC channels (newsletter, mailing list etc) if you like?

Will send you some. Can also advertise that you're looking for more via the HNBC channels (newsletter, mailing list etc) if you like?

Thank you.

In general, however, we are trying to keep mainly to our own photographs, largely so that we don't lose track of who owns the copyright. It would be quite difficult to manage a project like this with photos from a multitude of sources. But thank you for the offer. As HNBC members ourselves, we will of course use the newsletter when appropriate if we need specific information or photos.

Peter

Point taken, but thank you for your comments.

Luctor et emergo said:

As publisher, I asked the site owner's permission to include a piece about the book before posting it, and consent was given.

I won't argue with that, good luck.

As to the photographs, the law is perfectly clear. If the photo is taken from a public place, or even one concessionarily accessible to the public, then no consent is needed. Otherwise, how would newspapers, television etc. ever publish anything? There is no requirement to consult boat owners. Think about Waterways World, Canal Boat, Towpath Talk etc. There are lots of photos of boats in them.

That is a different kettle of fish. You can not take a picture of private property, or a person, and use that for financial gain, without consent. A single picture of my boat, taken (or published) as an image of my private property, for you to make financial gain, without my consent is in breach of copyright laws.

Just to ask, do you think it is fair that you make money on the back of somebody elses property?

Would you mind if somebody else copied pages of your book?

And Winja asks "when will further copies of volume 1 be ready ?" We expect the printers to deliver them on or about Thursday 18 July, possibly slightly earlier. Sorry about running out - the demand was far higher than expected.

Peter

Come on Queenie Baby and Charlie boy lets sue all the History Books publishers ... putting all your ancesters in their books AND SELLING them... and watchout Google I never give anyone permission to photograph my house...... there seem to be some "Touchy " boat owners... Best of luck with the books however many volumes you produce, and I would just love to see you make a fortune out of them, I worked on the boats in the mid to late 50,s and as a pensioner I can't afford a boat or to travel widely enough to see all the survivors so your books will be a godsend,..... why would anybody lucky enough to own an ex working boat not want people to see and enjoy them ? It was nice to see "Monarch" on You Tube and they sure looked happy enough to show their boat off....... come on lets see a picture of "Heart of Gold" so we can all see what your problem isninja.gif

Never mind.

I glad your generousity goes as far as letting other people make money with your property. It's like going to work, but not getting paid for it.

But what does one expect. We are slowly replacing paid jobs with volunteers. Oh how worthy. But how do people pay their bills, when they don't get paid?

Hmmmm?