Ordered to Return to Moorings

bowten

Featured Posts

A couple of my boater friends have been told by official letters from CRT to return to their moorings or be classed as CCers.Both these boaters have CRT long term moorings but because of where the moorings are they are they tend not to use them unless they are leaving the boat for any length of time.The moorings are in the centre of town and have been the subject of vandalism occasionally.Both of them move regularly and are never seen on visitor moorings.What is happening?Anybody else had these letters?

Sounds a little high handed to me......surely if these moorings are paid for it should not matter how long your friends choose to spend away from them? There are lots of boaters who leave their moorings for a whole season. Do CRT intend to take this stance with all of them?

You vill obey ze orders..

Just out of curiosity, are the moorings far from where they are currently? And do they move in a small(ish) area?

Whilst there is nothing against that, I knew crt would have a go at it eventually.

Just out of curiosity, are the moorings far from where they are currently? And do they move in a small(ish) area?

Whilst there is nothing against that, I knew crt would have a go at it eventually.

The moorings are indeed close to their cruising range.

I get the impression that these boaters are living on their boats - could this be part of the reason if the moorings are non-residential? That CART think that they should either be CCers or have a residential mooring and so want to flog the moorings off to someone else - if they've had them longterm, presumably CART would whack the auction reserve price up at he same time. I'm not sure how the moving regularly but never onto visitor moorings works, either, if they are recreational rather than liveaboard boaters.

I get the impression that these boaters are living on their boats - could this be part of the reason if the moorings are non-residential? That CART think that they should either be CCers or have a residential mooring and so want to flog the moorings off to someone else - if they've had them longterm, presumably CART would whack the auction reserve price up at he same time. I'm not sure how the moving regularly but never onto visitor moorings works, either, if they are recreational rather than liveaboard boaters.

Arthur,

Is your boat called Lord Byrons Maggot?

Probably being really stupid here. I thought that paying for a mooring or whatever it may be classed as meant just that. You paid for the privilege of "having" that space.

I didn't realise you actually had to use that space for a given amount of time.

Most gripes on here seem to be against CC'ing without sticking to the rules. Why would an Authority actively seek to increase the common cause for complaint?

I rent a garage. Whether I use it or not is immaterial. The same must surely be for moorings?

I'm not sure any of that adds up.

CRT have recently made it very clear several times that they are pretty relaxed about people living on boats on many of their moorings not actually classed as "residential".

If these boat owners have have these moorings a long while, then they will be paying "book" list price for them. If CRT cancelled their mooring agreement, and put them up for auction the normal reserve set is now 90% of "guide", and "guide" is the book price - what they will have been getting for them.

So CRT would risk either not letting them, or only getting 90% of what they currently are, if they went for reserve.

So I'm afraid I don't follow at all!

Probably being really stupid here. I thought that paying for a mooring or whatever it may be classed as meant just that. You paid for the privilege of "having" that space.

I didn't realise you actually had to use that space for a given amount of time.

Most gripes on here seem to be against CC'ing without sticking to the rules. Why would an Authority actively seek to increase the common cause for complaint?

I rent a garage. Whether I use it or not is immaterial. The same must surely be for moorings?

See Paul C's post.

Unless we see exactly what CRT have written officially to these boaters, then I think speculation is entirely pointless.

I one hundred percent guarantee there is more to this than has so far come out.

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm not sure any of that adds up.

CRT have recently made it very clear several times that they are pretty relaxed about people living on boats on many of their moorings not actually classed as "residential".

If these boat owners have have these moorings a long while, then they will be paying "book" list price for them. If CRT cancelled their mooring agreement, and put them up for auction the normal reserve set is now 90% of "guide", and "guide" is the book price - what they will have been getting for them.

So CRT would risk either not letting them, or only getting 90% of what they currently are, if they went for reserve.

So I'm afraid I don't follow at all!

See Paul C's post.

Unless we see exactly what CRT have written officially to these boaters, then I think speculation is entirely pointless.

I one hundred percent guarantee there is more to this than has so far come out.

Sorry. I did see Pauls post. I'm just impatient lol

I agree. I don't think we have all the facts on this one

Sorry again for being impatient. Nothing moves quick enough these days

Unemployed for the first time since school. I'm VERY impatient lol

From the OP it does seem very odd but like several others I would like to know a lot more about the circumstances and context around what the people are doing and the mooring they hold also the contents of the letter and intent of CRT.

I suppose before reacting I would like to know if this is a one-off special case or something more general.

I wager that these boaters use a mooring that they rarely/never visit, to 'legaly' move about (cm' bridgehop etc) in a restricted area.

Good controversial stuff, but if it is, as stated, a CRT long term mooring not that far away, it would be an expensive option wouldn't it?

None has ever been allowed to sell at auction for less than 75% of the "book" or "guide" being paid by other moorers, and as we are told that auction anyway determies the value of a mooring, they are therefore (according to CRT) paying the full commercial worth of a mooring in the area.

Hardly the usually claimed "paper mooring" acquired for peanuts, and which (it is claimed) doesn't necessarily exist, or has been let to multiple boats.

Let's hear the facts, and stop guessng until we are given them.

I wager that these boaters use a mooring that they rarely/never visit, to 'legaly' move about (cm' bridgehop etc) in a restricted area.

I'm terribly sorry , but thats a load of baloney. I have a mooring I pay for, but now that the sunny months are here, I would rather cruise up and down outside my marina entrance, than tie up to a pontoon all year. I do it because it's legal to do so and I dont need shorepower since I bought solar. If the rules changed, I would sooner be a CC-er than a full time marina user....and it would save me a lot of money. I'd also love to see the wording on those letters....is this another "hidden agenda" soon to visit a waterways near you :)

Your impression is correct.I think you are not far wrong.

Can you scan in, or take a photo, of the letter? I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the wording etc.

Will try,but these are private letters remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XuHBS4ZanRM

Will try,but these are private letters remember.

they are only as private as the recipients want them to be, black marker over name and address and we can see what policy our charitable trust is following in the overcrowded and congested NE waterways..