Looking to buy my first boat... All advice welcome

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

Hello all my name is Jamie and I am looking to buy my first boat to live on. I have grown up around the grand union canal, and spent countless hours fishing and on my friends little cruiser. I know for fact it will be a perfect way of life for me and I'm looking forward to moving out of my flat and onto a boat emensely.

My main question s narrow or wide? I'm sure this has been flogged to death and I appreciate that for my budget I will get a lot more narrow boat. However I have two young daughters age 8 & 6 who stay with me 3 nights a week and I'm concerned that there won't be enough room to play on board.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I would love to hear them.

Thanks

In the summer they can play outside and in the winter you'll all be sat round the fire watching CBBC (or not) so it matters not if you buy a WB or not? I've seen a few 55ft ish boats for sale recently that have a seperate area in the boat with 2 singles, giving them their own little room. That is as well as the permenant double for dad. It would have been a waste of space for me but i did think at the time if i had childeren it was a neat little set up.

Another thing to think of is that as they get older they MAY come and visit dad a little bit less. You could then be faced with a big WB and the extra cost's involved just for them to visit for the odd weekend and school holidays.

Those thoughts are based on absolutely no experiences whatsoever.

Welcome to the forum smile.png

I have owned a narrowboat and now a widebeam.

I have wife+3 kids (8,13,17) +cat.

We live aboard 7 days a week, 365days per year.

A narrow boat will be fine for your immediate needs, and you always upgrade to widebeam as your girls get older perhaps?

A narrow boat means you can travel north and south, whereas a widebeam is north OR south only (in your case...south).

To live on a boat, life has to be an enjoyable routine, not a burden. We've managed to adapt and enjoy the routine, and fitted loads of solar panels so we dont sit with flat batteries, or a loud engine running while you're trying to watch tv etc. Your girls will initially enjoy "going to the boat" each week, but this will very soon deminish into bringing their game consoles, DVDs etc with them, and you will need to give them their own space to sit and do their thing. Kids (my kids) need constant entertaining, and find great joy in getting that entertainment from watching drunk day-hire boaters coming past, or feeding ducks n geese etc, but mostly it's some sort of electricity chewing gadget. Have a Huge selection of DVDs. That will help. Buy a sea magnet and teach them to fish for metal objects round locks etc (wearing flotation devices).

If you have any specific question, I'm happy to answer them foryou. Living on a boat is AWESOME, but not for everyone. Also...think about getting a pet on board. It will give the girls someone to play with....our kids are forever messing with the cat...and it tends to pick a new bed each night. Pets add a lot.

ps....edited to add....make sure you keep yourself looking handsome and smelling nice. Boat life does tend to allow a person to get a little bedraggled....it's hard to look great when you're filling water, emptying toilets, connecting gas bottles, checking diesel, oil, doing clothes washing.... whenever we have visitors around, I suddenly realise that stuffing the bags of charity clothes to offload in the next town, on the bottom of the book case, might not have been the best "look".

Edited by DeanS

Hi Jamie, I do not know where on the GU you live, start off by viewing boats for sale at various marinas to get an idea of what will suit your budget and do your homework on the costs of mooring in marinas etc in your area. The costs will vary greatly on the length/width of the boat and so will the licencing/insurance costs and when you have narrowed down the search eventually daft as it may seem, a boat will find you!. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for advice and comments, I have heard about boats finding owners before! I have looked at a few in Harefield Marina and have seen loads on the net. I think DeanS advice about a narrowboat being fine for now is probably about right. So as to keep costs down to start with, I have already decided I'm getting a cat!

Everyone has painted a rosy picture so far, but a few things to consider:

Have you actually spent time on a narrow boat, especially in the middle of winter? It might not appear so rosy when you are iced up, with a full toilet tank and no water.

Have you considered where you are going to moor?

Or are you going to keep moving around the system?

Are you working or retired? If working will continuous cruising suit your needs?

Do you actually know how much running a boat will cost you? Many think that it is a cheap way of living, but it can easily be as expensive as running a flat.

I know for fact it will be a perfect way of life for me...

Hurray for you, and more strength to your elbow. Apologies for the lack of advice, but that attitude is probably most of what you need. You probably don't need telling to ignore "advice" like this;

blah blah blah.

Procrastinate, procrastinate.

blah blah blah.

Give vast amounts of cash to people to confirm what you already know.

blah blah blah.

Are there any stats out there for the number of people who thought about a boat, hired one, and then went "nah"? I like someone who knows their own mind and can make a decision. Sitting about pontificating never answered any questions satisfactorily to my mind (eh, Seneca?).

I have already decided I'm getting a cat!

Is that two narrowboats strapped together with boat poles?

Well my advice is if you need to live in a certain area is don't do it unless you have a mooring when you get the boat.

Enforcement on the Southern GU against NCCC has been stepped up by CRT making it all but impossible to hang around in one area.

If you intend to go off round the system then carry on.

Are there any stats out there for the number of people who thought about a boat, hired one, and then went "nah"? I like someone who knows their own mind and can make a decision. Sitting about pontificating never answered any questions satisfactorily to my mind...

I have no stats but I've personally known a few people who rushed in and bought a boat and later realised it wasn't for them. One lost a fair bit of money in the process. The "fools rush in" approach may suit some people, but while it's true that you'll never really know what it's like until you actually do something, personally I think it's a good idea to ask questions and weigh up the options first - which is exactly what the OP is doing here.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for all your comments and advice, just to clarify I have only spent a few weeks at a time on a small cruiser on the canal, it had very basic facilities and no heating at all. I have worked in some harsh environments (down to -15) so I'm pretty used to dealing with the cold. I'm 40 years old and physically fit and being of quite sound mind I'm still positive I can handle and no doubt enjoy the challenges living on a boat may throw my way. The only thing I'm not so sure about is how my children who have only known living in a house will take to it.

That's a good idea and I gave thought about it, but if I know my kids they will love it for a "holiday". It's the lack of space that I think may be the problem and that will only come to light over time. I was curious as to how other people with young children on a boat get by. It is only for three days a week and I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

That's a good idea and I gave thought about it, but if I know my kids they will love it for a "holiday". It's the lack of space that I think may be the problem and that will only come to light over time. I was curious as to how other people with young children on a boat get by. It is only for three days a week and I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

Welcome to the forum :)

I have owned a narrowboat and now a widebeam.

I have wife+3 kids (8,13,17) +cat.

We live aboard 7 days a week, 365days per year.

A narrow boat will be fine for your immediate needs, and you always upgrade to widebeam as your girls get older perhaps?

A narrow boat means you can travel north and south, whereas a widebeam is north OR south only (in your case...south).

To live on a boat, life has to be an enjoyable routine, not a burden. We've managed to adapt and enjoy the routine, and fitted loads of solar panels so we dont sit with flat batteries, or a loud engine running while you're trying to watch tv etc. Your girls will initially enjoy "going to the boat" each week, but this will very soon deminish into bringing their game consoles, DVDs etc with them, and you will need to give them their own space to sit and do their thing. Kids (my kids) need constant entertaining, and find great joy in getting that entertainment from watching drunk day-hire boaters coming past, or feeding ducks n geese etc, but mostly it's some sort of electricity chewing gadget. Have a Huge selection of DVDs. That will help. Buy a sea magnet and teach them to fish for metal objects round locks etc (wearing flotation devices).

If you have any specific question, I'm happy to answer them foryou. Living on a boat is AWESOME, but not for everyone. Also...think about getting a pet on board. It will give the girls someone to play with....our kids are forever messing with the cat...and it tends to pick a new bed each night. Pets add a lot.

ps....edited to add....make sure you keep yourself looking handsome and smelling nice. Boat life does tend to allow a person to get a little bedraggled....it's hard to look great when you're filling water, emptying toilets, connecting gas bottles, checking diesel, oil, doing clothes washing.... whenever we have visitors around, I suddenly realise that stuffing the bags of charity clothes to offload in the next town, on the bottom of the book case, might not have been the best "look".

Any advice on what to look for when buying a boat? I'm looking for something with an open plan layout but that's all I know at the moment. As you've had lots of experience with kids on bats you may be able to give me some pointers on what's needed and what's not?

Any advice on what to look for when buying a boat? I'm looking for something with an open plan layout but that's all I know at the moment. As you've had lots of experience with kids on bats you may be able to give me some pointers on what's needed and what's not?

I'm sure Dean never bats his kids!

Not a boat but restricted space. When fostering It was't unusual to have 1/2 dozen kids on board a Bedrord horsebox with limited living space since the back was workshop/shower/lav. Each kid had tasks & responsiblities appropriate to their skills, their own storage space, all be it just a big plastic box, but mostly we were were Team Bedford TK. fit to take on anything.

There were fallouts but 'the crew' were difficult/damaged kids. I found that, as Dean seemed to suggest, if you set a fast enough pace the crew will be to buisy keeping up to cause bother.

I'm sure Dean never bats his kids!

Not a boat but restricted space. When fostering It was't unusual to have 1/2 dozen kids on board a Bedrord horsebox with limited living space since the back was workshop/shower/lav. Each kid had tasks & responsiblities appropriate to their skills, their own storage space, all be it just a big plastic box, but mostly we were were Team Bedford TK. fit to take on anything.

There were fallouts but 'the crew' were difficult/damaged kids. I found that, as Dean seemed to suggest, if you set a fast enough pace the crew will be to buisy keeping up to cause bother.

Sometimes a bat is the only option!!

I know what you mean, its down to me to keep them interested. Its not uncommon for the kids to say "I'm bored" when they are at their mums house surrounded by electronic toys, tv, ipods etc.

In the flat where I currently live I have no tv or internet provider so all we have is dvds however the kids rarely ask to watch them as they are usually playing "old skool" games or reading/colouring etc.

I think they will love it and far from being bored it will open up their imaginations as it will be completely new to them.

If you have your children onboard for 3 nights a week have you thought of the problems of getting them to school.

CCing will be almost impossible (to comply with the 'rules'), so you will need a residential mooring, start looking for hens teeth and when/if you fiind one check out the cost.

I am not saying it is impossible but think very carefully before you go ahead.

Good luck.

My other half's children have been visiting their dad on a boat for weekends since they were toddlers...they are now 14 & 16.

It has always been a narrowboat, but they have always had a little bedroom space for their visits. Summers and better winter days see them outside being proper kids, getting muddy, climbing trees, playing pirates etc etc. Bad weather sees them on the boat doing stuff from cooking to crafts, and nowadays, playing on phones and laptops more. They always had boxes of toys/craft items on board, along with fishing nets etc, and have always enjoyed it onboard. Space restrictions were just adapted to, and did encourage them to be more outdoor children.

As they grow older they have lives of their own more and more, and so we see less of them. They now tend to come individually. Kids are usually good at adjusting to new environments, just make sure they have things to do!

I'd say go for it but have a contingency plan. If it doesn't work out, make sure you haven't ploughed every last penny into the project so that if it really really doesn't work, you can get at least most of your money back so you can find an apartment or house instead. Boats don't seem to depreciate as much as new cars or campervans or whatever, if you choose carefully and get a proper survey done.

You're a fit and healthy 40 year old, with plenty of time to 'have a go' and plenty of time to have another go if you find it isn't for you. Your children are young enough to be able to adapt to new and exciting living arrangements, I'd be more nervous if they were moody teenagers who couldn't exist without a mobile phone and Facebook.

I really hope you find a great boat and have lots of happy years on it with your little family.

Z x

Go and look at alot of boats. Your ideas / expectations will change as you view. Think of how you will live on the boat. Does it have several options for electricity (generator, engine, solar), heating (solid fuel stove, gas or diesel heating), hot water (engine, Paloma gas heater, immersion heater, back boiler), etc.. I looked at about 50-60 boats before I found mine. Its a really well thought out boat, so if one thing fails, there is at least another way of heating, getting electric, hot water etc.. It was also built by one of the best boat builders, which makes a huge difference - the design is very good, rain water doesnt get in anywhere, doors fit really well so minimal draughts, rain doesnt pool anywhere, etc. I also really like the quality wood used on the interior - makes it feels really homely and solid.

Dont rush in, look at LOADS, have an open mind, and wait for that feeling you've walked into your home. And buy as big a boat as you can (IMHO)..

Been onboard 18 months now (though part time - 4 days/wk), and love it. I've had the gas heater and generator break, but no probs as there were other ways to do things. Now installed solar, and have an online mooring, which I love. Though marina moorings have also been perfectly good. Just need to get the genny fixed, and it'll be perfect (dont want to use the washing machine through the inverter - probably pushing the inverter a bit close to its limit)..

Note points about finding a mooring. In some places it can be difficult to get a mooring where you want. Go and investigate that before you buy a boat.

and wait for that feeling you've walked into your home

This, without a doubt.

I don't live aboard (yet) but if I could, I would. Maybe ours isn't the one we would like to retire on, but it certainly ticks all the boxes for now, and it SMELLED right when we viewed it. Bizarre, but even though it was a shell compared to what it is now, I just knew the moment I went inside that this was The One.

cloud9.gif

Go and look at alot of boats. Your ideas / expectations will change as you view. Think of how you will live on the boat. Does it have several options for electricity (generator, engine, solar), heating (solid fuel stove, gas or diesel heating), hot water (engine, Paloma gas heater, immersion heater, back boiler), etc.. I looked at about 50-60 boats before I found mine. Its a really well thought out boat, so if one thing fails, there is at least another way of heating, getting electric, hot water etc.. It was also built by one of the best boat builders, which makes a huge difference - the design is very good, rain water doesnt get in anywhere, doors fit really well so minimal draughts, rain doesnt pool anywhere, etc. I also really like the quality wood used on the interior - makes it feels really homely and solid.

Dont rush in, look at LOADS, have an open mind, and wait for that feeling you've walked into your home. And buy as big a boat as you can (IMHO)..

Been onboard 18 months now (though part time - 4 days/wk), and love it. I've had the gas heater and generator break, but no probs as there were other ways to do things. Now installed solar, and have an online mooring, which I love. Though marina moorings have also been perfectly good. Just need to get the genny fixed, and it'll be perfect (dont want to use the washing machine through the inverter - probably pushing the inverter a bit close to its limit)..

Note points about finding a mooring. In some places it can be difficult to get a mooring where you want. Go and investigate that before you buy a boat.

Thanks very much for this advice, it's very much appreciated......I do have a few questions though! How do I know who is a good boat builder and what is an online mooring?

Sorry to pick your brains like this..!