Looking to buy my first boat... All advice welcome

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

The kids will share the bed and I'll have a sofa bed. I was originally looking for a boat with bunk beds but don't really want permanent bedrooms as during the day and when the kids aren't there it's wasted space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys I'm back again with some more questions! After looking at quite a few boats I have decided I would like a wide beam.

Problem is I'm not sure where I can use it. I have a map which shows the canals as narrow or broad over 7 foot. For example does anyone know how wide the canal is in greenford? Can anyone show me a better map?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Thanks for all your comments and advice, just to clarify I have only spent a few weeks at a time on a small cruiser on the canal, it had very basic facilities and no heating at all. I have worked in some harsh environments (down to -15) so I'm pretty used to dealing with the cold. I'm 40 years old and physically fit and being of quite sound mind I'm still positive I can handle and no doubt enjoy the challenges living on a boat may throw my way. The only thing I'm not so sure about is how my children who have only known living in a house will take to it.

I moved onto a boat when my lad was four. I was a bit worried but I didn't have to be, he loved it! The same can be said for all the kids I know on boats. Go for it imo.

The kids will share the bed and I'll have a sofa bed. I was originally looking for a boat with bunk beds but don't really want permanent bedrooms as during the day and when the kids aren't there it's wasted space.

It doesn't have to be a very big bedroom but I'd advise you to get one as the kids will have somewhere to call theirs and keep their things. My lad's room was 6 foot long and 4 feet wide and plenty big enough. I know people who have bunkbeds in the same sized space.

This was the layout we used:

315685_9.jpg?1373530842

Hello guys I'm back again with some more questions! After looking at quite a few boats I have decided I would like a wide beam.

Problem is I'm not sure where I can use it. I have a map which shows the canals as narrow or broad over 7 foot. For example does anyone know how wide the canal is in greenford? Can anyone show me a better map?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Is this any use? http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm