Double glazed replacement windows

riverqueen

Featured Posts

Hello - as a newcomer to the Canalworld I would like to ask if anyone has any thoughts on replacement windows. The windows on my narrowboat are double glazed and have started to mist up between the panes and I'm thinking of replacing them with new units as these windows have probably been on the boat for some considerable time (20 years? maybe - I have lived aboard for 12).

I have had conflicting advice and wondered if anyone out there could put me out of my misery!!!

Many thanks

Hi there, what condition are the frames in and what material are they e.t.c ? You may just be able to replace the glass without too many problems as long as it's done well but it's not such a difficult job. I've just done 7 windows in 14mm toughened glass, the units were around 240.00. These are square edged windows though so no rounded edges to consider.

Ed

Hello - as a newcomer to the Canalworld I would like to ask if anyone has any thoughts on replacement windows. The windows on my narrowboat are double glazed and have started to mist up between the panes and I'm thinking of replacing them with new units as these windows have probably been on the boat for some considerable time (20 years? maybe - I have lived aboard for 12).

I have had conflicting advice and wondered if anyone out there could put me out of my misery!!!

Many thanks

Caldwell's manufacture double glazed boat windows Linky

Many thanks

The seals on double glazed units are not perfect. The edge bars contain a dessicant which absorbs moisture which gets in, but eventually this can absorb no more and you get misting. 20 years is about par for the course.

You should be able to remove the DG units and replace them with new (assuming the frames are in reasonable condition). A decent glass merchant or double glazing firm should be able to make up new units, and there are some online suppliers.

Having misted up patio doors at home I keep meaning to do this myself, but other things just seem to intervene...