Boris bites boaters?

jenlyn

Featured Posts

If you actually check what was said, (and I think the words actually came from someone else?), you will find that murder was not mentioned.

Might as well beef the story up a bit though, hey?

Ok i checked, Caroline lucas said in interveiw ( 1.25 in the youtube) " flying is the same as knifing someone in the street, people are dying of climate change"

Ms Jones will be taking a walk from Angel vm to the Rosemary Branch in order to carry out a site visit. The idea is to get some face time with intetested parties and glean some understanding of the 'problems'.

Ms Jones will be taking a walk from Angel vm to the Rosemary Branch in order to carry out a site visit. The idea is to get some face time with intetested parties and glean some understanding of the 'problems'.

Has anyone told the cyclists !!

Highly selective walk then.

Highly selective walk then.

Of course. What do you expect? As a forum you prevaricate and ponder, but do not achieve anything in the way of moving forward. Many inquiries are a sham and usually place blame on the wrong side. Wont Jenny Jones be investigating the hundreds of unlicensed boaters who at the weekend littered the Regent's Canal with thousands of bottles and other rubbish, absconded from and abandoned many boats, pe-ed, crapped and dumped litter in people's backyards and made noises until the early hours of Sunday morning??? 100% of these so-called boaters were people from the land, and no doubt quite a few were wealthy do-gooders who work perhaps in the City and must be quite a number who live in flats alongside the canal - the very type who want to screw boaters. In comparison real boaters are a quiet and generally tidy lot.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

An FoI request was made for the correspondence etc which led to this "investigation":

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/information_help_on_london_assem#incoming-398506

Some of the correspondence is quite enlightening - did you know that Islington encourages people to have barbecues; and yet

the elected representatives of the council have not been sent to prison for allowing this barbecue apocolypse!! Oh the horror!!

Emailed yesterday –

“There will be a meeting - held in public - on Friday 12 July at 9.30am in Committee Room 3 at City Hall.

The meeting will be used to consider some of the findings from the recent call for evidence. Guests at the meeting are still to be finalised but are likely to include representatives from the Canal and River Trust, the London Borough of Islington, resident associations, boater groups and the Environment Agency.

The meeting will be webcast live here: http://www.london.gov.uk/who-runs-london/the-london-assembly/webcasts and a recording will also available on the Committee’s web page after the meeting.”

Of course. What do you expect? As a forum you prevaricate and ponder, but do not achieve anything in the way of moving forward.

As a discussion forum we (including you) discuss.

This isn't a political movement or pressure group but just a website for like-minded people to prevaricate and ponder to their heart's content.

Discussion on this forum has led to action and involvement by some members but it is not compulsory.

• Greenie 1

Fender. You are totally correct in your appraisal's .. As I stated in post 8.. Be afraid, be very afraid.. Etc..

It was inevitable.

What those who choose creative interpretations of the 1995 Act, or who push the boundaries of what BW/CRT are able to enforce refused to see was that ultimately their communities of local ccers (yes, that IS and oxymoron) would start to annoy people other than their fellow boaters.

Those who believed themselves above the rules have given the nimbys something to complain about, and I have little doubt that those who do play by the rules will suffer as a result.

I hate to say it but as long ago as five years ago, I predicted this happening. Now CRT have even got a full time member of staff to deal with this. I had a meeting with him last week and he seemed to be taking plenty of calls from disgruntled residents.

Quite often it seems that they have no grounds for complaint. As London fills up, they get angry complaints from residents who never used to have boats moored outside their houses - they phone to complain, 'why have you made new moorings here without my permission?', not realising that our licenses permit us to tie up almost anywhere.

But I'm with Fender - I think the days of being able to moor, for free, without restriction, in town are numbered.

Yes, infact, I think it was longer. We didn't have one up here for absolutely ages, he resigned and it took them a very long time to find a replacement. The one we had before was happy for you to move two locks in either direction, not that it mattered, there weren't many boats about at all - it's increased by ten times since we bought ours.

Our mooring warden was on the sick for ages too (partner died, very sad).

Edited by Lady Muck

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, the webcast of this morning's London Assembly meeting is now viewable -

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/webcasts

Thank you for the link.

Some of the bits I have listened to are very scary eg the suggestion that the canals should become a residential facility (at about 15:20).

There is one bit where a resident has a husband with breathing difficulties who had windows open front and back in winter and the smoke from the boats was intrusive. If I heard it right (I had it on in the background) She complained to CRT who removed the mooring rings and the boats don't moor there now so one less visitor mooring rather than speak to the alleged offending boater.