Boris bites boaters?

jenlyn

Featured Posts

As a boat owner who has her boat on the London waterways I think Jenny Jones ought to declare a conflict of interest. How can a boater 'investigate' this or have I i) missed the point or ii) not moved with the times.

Edited for typos

Edited by Leo No2

As a boat owner who has her boat on the London waterways I think Jenny Jones ought to declare a conflict of interest. How can a boater 'investigate' this or have I i) missed the point or ii) not moved with the times.

Edited for typos

As she has knowledge of the situation I'd imagine that makes it more appropriate to conduct the investigation rather than someone with no knowledge of the situation... she is only reporting back to the main council.

I don't understand why someone with a vested interest should be excluded from something anyway - if that was the case anyone that stood for election on a particular issue would have to disqualify themselves from discussing or voting on that issue which would make the whole election process even more of a joke than it currently is.

Edited for typos

I'm just worried about the implications it could have on us all as a result of the eventual findings.

Mike - She stood against Boris in the London Mayoralty contest and is she leader of the Greens on the London Assembly and that's why I can see a conflict of interest. Not that she should be barred from doing the job but her interest should be declared in my view

I'm not expecting anything sensible if the green party is involved, their leader said flying on holiday was equal to murder ! they are as mad as a box of frogs.

If you actually check what was said, (and I think the words actually came from someone else?), you will find that murder was not mentioned.

Might as well beef the story up a bit though, hey?

I don't think Ms Jones needs to declare a conflict of interest if 1) it was stated from the outset that her knowledge of the situation comes from the fact that she has a boat on the London waterways, and 2) the fact she has a boat does not necessrily lead to a conflict of interest.

I'm just worried about the implications it could have on us all as a result of the eventual findings.

Yes, you lot have had it. Your only chance is to delare yourselves an oppressed minority/vulnerable group who are facing a programme of social cleansing. Then they may back off for a while.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Hopefully it's an opportunity for them to get a sensible view on the issues involved on residential and CC boats in the London area away from the hysteria of some of the press. I think the fact she is a boater and has previously joined campaigns against BW is a good thing.

Quote "Committee Member Jenny Jones AM has proposed an investigation into moorings on London’s waterways that she would lead with Members invited to participate in meetings and other activity. If agreed by the Health & Environment Committee, approval for the rapporteurship from the GLA Oversight Committee will be sought"

Firstly I don't know Jenny Jones personally so I can not say that my next is based on anything she is thinking or not, but from past experience of committees, and I've served on a few in my time, I submit the following.

1. Committee members propose something because they have an opinion and an agenda.

2. Investigations of this nature should be carried out by independent persons calling on the expertise of the likes of Jenny and others to submit

3. The findings of an investigation not carried out by independent persons will always attract cries of bias and render them not fit for purpose.

Has I said I don't know Jenny, but I hope she does not have a hidden agenda for the proposition of the investigation. I would like to know why she felt it necessary to propose the investigation?

Looking at the footnotes, this whole thing seems to be founded on the ravings of the IWA and some rabid nimby residents at Angel VM. So glad my council tax is no longer being used to pay for this guff now I don't live in town.

I'm not expecting anything sensible if the green party is involved, their leader said flying on holiday was equal to murder ! they are as mad as a box of frogs.

As a resident of Brighton, I can confirm that you are correct. Some of the stuff they are doing down here is staggering,

Once again I am amazed at some of the posts. Focusing on Ms Jones rather than the issue. I would suggest that all boaters who light a fire in the winter or run an engine for charging batteries should show some concern. CRT can just sit back now and let London Assembly push for new legislation. What could happen here is not about boaters that have made the London Area their home but about the fact that people like to live by the canal but just hate the fact that for some weird reason those bloody boats want to float around on the Canals. These people want the canals cleared of boats. There is already talk of making boats visiting London subject to the same rules and laws concerning engine and noise pollution. On the engine pollution not many boat engines will pass this test and on the noise pollution most of the Cement Mixer type engines would fail.

As a resident of Brighton, I can confirm that you are correct. Some of the stuff they are doing down here is staggering,

Sorry this is very off topic but I could not resist.

How so? are they any worse than any other group or party. The Mears mafia and the Blairites have both 'done good' in the past have they not? very not.Without fail all of them see Brighton/Hove Council as a means to get their candidtes elected to the three marginal parliamentary seats.

Think John is right. Being politicians there will have to be recommendations and an agreed fudge at the end. Overcrowding ,movement of boats etc will be too big an issue which they will not understand so this will get thrown back at CRT but environmental pollution whether from fires of noise that's something they could handle , makes good press and harder to argue against so my bet would be they would go for some rules on smokeless coal only.

Think John is right. Being politicians there will have to be recommendations and an agreed fudge at the end. Overcrowding ,movement of boats etc will be too big an issue which they will not understand so this will get thrown back at CRT but environmental pollution whether from fires of noise that's something they could handle , makes good press and harder to argue against so my bet would be they would go for some rules on smokeless coal only.

They already have the rules on Noise and Engine Pollution just that at present Boats are Exempted it would take very little to change that, and include boats within the existing laws for London

Jenny Jones is one of the more elite participants in the goings on of the canals. She is not a liveaboard or a CC'er, merely a moorer at SPCC. This concerns me as it is quite likely she will abide by the wishes of residents rather then liveaboards. Its concerneing because one wouldnt want liveaboards to end up being treated like Romanians.

There is a whole world of difference in living on the waterways and that of plonking down communities uninvited in the centres of London's posh squares. People always forget the waterways came first, built well away from London's houses (mainly because the land was cheaper) then people started building up and down the canals - "ooh posh Blomfield Road, look at those pretty boats, let's buy a house there" etc. When the canal was built there were no feckin houses!

Many parts of London's canal network have now become parts of richer communities. They have money and they have influence that liveaboards dont have. In many places the boats are not wanted. Interesting point, if people dont want boats then clearly they do not want canals, and do not deserve to buy flats/housesby the canals. Take a 'famous' Camden flat - they looove their view of the canal but did not like the boats that moored there blocking this view. This kind of game is only destined to go one way, and the involvement of Jenny Jones, despite being a green, a politician, rich, whatever, should be a major concern because it is predicting a certain outcome presidented by a partisan landlubber.

• Greenie 1

Who doesnt have a knowledge of boating?? Even the most distant natives on this planet use boats!

PS - not long ago the Greens were saying look what a massively underused resource is the canals in London. Improve this bit, that bit, encourage more trade, reopen the Bow Back Rivers etc. An increased number of boaters must be servicing London's economy somehow so the greens should be happy. They should be happy with the overcrowded cycle towpaths and unceasingly high speed cyclists. Unless for some reason they do not equate such kinds of Spectrum with being green?? In that case why bother to report on an 'issue' when their objectives appear to have been made?

Edited by fender

I know an awful lot of people who have no concept of boating and what the joys/trials and tribulations are about.

But should it be someone so readily at hand? I know of many boaters who 'love' boating but are prepared to foresake those who live on boats. We have one example in London where one such major person loves boats, defends them to the death, and is regularly featured in newspapers because of their protectionist views, but then tries to use the law to stick a hot poker up the arses of certain boaters. It's certainly not an isolated incidence.

Forgot to add - The surprise is this person and the greens are buddies. How easily things are overlooked/forgotten/not known about!

Wont be discussing this matter any further, clearly CWF members are more knowledgeable than I!

Edited by fender