Drinking whilst cruising

geoffwales

Featured Posts

I know this has been spokenabout before, but whats the law about being in charge of a boat. I found this and wondered what the crimes where

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/147651.aspx

Broads bylaw 83.

"A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence

of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking

proper control of the vessel."

Graham

My personal creed is not to drink alcohol if expecting to go through locks that day, otherwise OK in moderation.

My attitude exactly. As a parallel, I would happily go out and chop a few logs for the fire after a couple of drinks, but getting the chainsaw out - absolutely not!

Anyone consuming alcohol when in charge of a vehicle should be prevented from doing so.

But they aren't so is your point just a wish list?

Whether you consume some alcohol is surely not the point, its whether it renders you incompetant. You could equally say that anyone who has slept insufficiently well or is worried about something or has just had a flaming row should be prevented from being in charge of a vehicle - why single out alcohol? And what about cannabis etc?

Surely we all have the responsibility not to drive (boat or vehicle) when unfit for whatever reason?

Not correct. Anyone consuming alcohol in excess of the legal limit should be prevented.

Well not really, they are not prevented (unless someone can get the keys off them), its just unlawful. Mind you, nanny state will probaly invent breath sniffers that don't let the car start if they detect alcohol on your breath! Better not put on too much aftershave!

Well not really, they are not prevented (unless someone can get the keys off them), its just unlawful. Mind you, nanny state will probaly invent breath sniffers that don't let the car start if they detect alcohol on your breath! Better not put on too much aftershave!

My point was more in answer to "anyone consuming alcohol"

And i wrote "should be"

I agree...gps/speed recording/breath sniffers are on the way :P

They've already done that! Cars that won't start if they detect alcohol that is.

Not correct. Anyone consuming alcohol in excess of the legal limit should be prevented.

This is correct. But only because the legal limit in this case is to be drunk enough to be incapable of handling a vessel safely.

That's one of the most sensible rules I've seen in a long time. Yes, it's vague, and contextual. Good - so it should be. Alcohol affects everyone differently, so a more prescriptive rule would be unworkable. It's up to you to judge the situation. If you can't judge it correctly, you shouldn't be trying.

The Owners Manual for my Volvo already contains the details of how one uses such a device- though it doesn't appear to be an available option in UK (yet!).

N

I follow this logic.

alcohol leaves your blood steam at one unit per hour.

the beer that I drink is 2 units a bottle

so a bottle of beer every couple of hours will not raise your B/A level significantly. :)

If I want to drink more then I change beers and reduce the alcohol content.

Can't you wait until your moored up for a drink?

not usually as beer is my only fluid intake since I don't do fizzy drinks, water juice or tea.

espresso first thing in the morning and G&T when moored are also acceptable.

Edited by Loddon

But they aren't so is your point just a wish list?

Whether you consume some alcohol is surely not the point, its whether it renders you incompetant. You could equally say that anyone who has slept insufficiently well or is worried about something or has just had a flaming row should be prevented from being in charge of a vehicle - why single out alcohol? And what about cannabis etc?

Surely we all have the responsibility not to drive (boat or vehicle) when unfit for whatever reason?

cheers.gifclapping.gif

Grow up you lot, most of us are fairly responsible. The biggest hassle you will see were drink is concerned is stag and hen do., particularly on the broads, but as the broads beat coopers are usually on the ball its usually dealt with swiftly.

As for crawling up a ditch sober, not a chance, you need something to dull the pain.

This captain was jailed!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/captain-jailed-for-crashing-ship-into-pier-after-six-pints-6172355.html

As a nipper I often walked down Hythe Pier to go to Tech College in Southampton. When courting we had to use the ferry to get to the cinema but always miised the last 109 minutes of the film as we had to catch the last ferry back to Hythe.

The pier has a very old electric railway running along it.

Regards

Pete

Subtle difference the act regarding alcohol limits for boat skippers applies to him as he is a professional skipper.

Doesn't apply to most of us as we are not professional!

Edited by Loddon