livaboard mooring but would be traveling 9 months of year

wullie

Featured Posts

I am looking at getting a narrowboat on retirement, one thing i cant get my head arround is mooring. I want to do a lot of traveling on my boat, after all this is the main purpose for spending a great deal of money on it.Now i may be wrong but why would i have to pay for a liveaboard mooring when i would be traveling 9 months prob more, is there no way around this, i do know i could go down the constant cruser route but do not want to be classed as an outcast with other boaters, just looking on various sites i have read that other boaters look on this as a cop out. I want to be happy on my boat and to be able to hold my head up not shy away from others, this has been a dream for me for many years, and now with it being a reality i want to try to start getting everything in place over next few years.icecream.gif

I am looking at getting a narrowboat on retirement, one thing i cant get my head arround is mooring. I want to do a lot of traveling on my boat, after all this is the main purpose for spending a great deal of money on it.Now i may be wrong but why would i have to pay for a liveaboard mooring when i would be traveling 9 months prob more, is there no way around this, i do know i could go down the constant cruser route but do not want to be classed as an outcast with other boaters, just looking on various sites i have read that other boaters look on this as a cop out. I want to be happy on my boat and to be able to hold my head up not shy away from others, this has been a dream for me for many years, and now with it being a reality i want to try to start getting everything in place over next few years.icecream.gif

That comment alone will class you as an outcast ! You are obviously new to all this , being a bone fide CCer does not mean you are an outcast from society , the vast majority have jobs , own property , and are not on welfare as those other boaters it seems would like you to believe . As Tuscan said , cruise and get a winter mooring , and welcome to the community , be proud of being a CCer , its what the canals are here for , to be used !

If I was you I would suggest you stay in your house

• Greenie 1

We aspire to be CC'ers one day! In fact so many of our friends happen to have this wonderful lifestyle that it is us that feels like the outcasts.

Winter moorings is the way forward for what you need I think. I cannot imagine why you might imagine CC'ing would make you an outcast. Genuine CC'ers form a wonderful community and they have friends all over the network. I suspect because you are currently on the outside looking in (as we are) it can make the community feel a little distant from you. Once you get your boat and enjoy the lifestyle I am sure you will look back on your words and laugh at the choice you made by calling them outcasts.

Welcome to the forum

To be fair, if the OP was unlucky enough to stumble on a few of the worst threads about CC'ers (or CM'ers) on this forum. And this is a genuine question. I feel it diserves a more genuine answer than to stay off the canals.

OP, if you comply by the rules you will be an asset to the boating community. Look up winter moorings on C&RT's mooring site. Good luck and have fun!

I suspect you're under a few misapprehensions, Wullie.

Constant Cruisers are not outcasts, and, there's no good reason why boater would look down on you (as long as you follow the cc rules of course)

Many boaters are cc'ers, and quite a few cruise during the sunny months and simply get winter moorings (either canalside or in a marina) for the winter. If that's what you wish to do - - do it, enjoy it, and welcome

I don't feel CC'ers are seen as outcasts! CC, on a CC licence, and get a winter mooring!

sorry i did not want to offend anybody,just reading other forums and it said that they looked apon cc as trying too get a free ride, i most say i DID not want to offend any body but just going with what i have read, i want to be part of the comunity and looking forward to it,any way i can only say sorry for the way it came accross and hope to meet up with some or all of you on my travells

Constant Cruisers are not outcasts, and, there's no good reason why boater would look down on you (as long as you follow the cc rules of course)

Many boaters are cc'ers, and quite a few cruise during the sunny months and simply get winter moorings (either canalside or in a marina) for the winter. If that's what you wish to do - - do it, enjoy it, and welcome

yes seems so sorry did not mean to upset anybody just going with what i have seen on other forums,will have to get as much info to all rules and regs, this is the reason i am looking into it all now to give me time to understand it all.SORRY.

If I was you I would suggest you stay in your hous

i did not mean to upset anybody i am sorry if this is how it came out, just saw on other forums this sort of report, i want to be part of the comunity, just trying to feel my way through a minefield at the moment, I am trying to get as much info as i can on this at moment comes i am well clued up so SORRY did not mean to offend.

sorry i did not want to offend anybody,just reading other forums and it said that they looked apon cc as trying too get a free ride, i most say i DID not want to offend any body but just going with what i have read, i want to be part of the comunity and looking forward to it,any way i can only say sorry for the way it came accross and hope to meet up with some or all of you on my travells

yes seems so sorry did not mean to upset anybody just going with what i have seen on other forums,will have to get as much info to all rules and regs, this is the reason i am looking into it all now to give me time to understand it all.SORRY.

Don't be sorry, you are going out of your way to try to do things right.

That comment alone will class you as an outcast ! You are obviously new to all this , being a bone fide CCer does not mean you are an outcast from society , the vast majority have jobs , own property , and are not on welfare as those other boaters it seems would like you to believe . As Tuscan said , cruise and get a winter mooring , and welcome to the community , be proud of being a CCer , its what the canals are here for , to be used !

sorry did not mean as it says just trying to find out the best way to go about it all and reading other forums, that is where i got it.

I assume this is a wind up but if not cruise away no need for mooring get a winter or marina mooring for 3 months

thanks and sorry did not mean to offend

sorry i did not want to offend anybody,just reading other forums and it said that they looked apon cc as trying too get a free ride,

Nobody (well hardly anybody) regards genuine Continuous Cruisers as getting a free ride. The free riders who attract such opprobrium are those who claim to be CCers, but stay put in one place or just shuffle between a few closely spaced locations only.

When you are out boating other boaters won't know if you are a CCer anyway unless you tell them or they look very closely at your licence. And half of those who do know will be envious of your lifestyle.

No need to issue any more apologies - most of the people on here are pretty forgiving and you have just discovered how the written word can be missunderstood so easily on a forum. It is not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last.

This place is a great resource for anyone just starting out with a boat. Ask your questions and sit back and you will get a multitude of different answers. You can then select the answer which feels like it suits your needs the best.

To give a slightly different slant - If you decide you do want a mooring after all, it doesn't need to be a liveaboard mooring since you will only be on it for around 3 months a year. Get a leisure mooring and save some dosh.

In a related question - does anyone know the official maximum amount of time (per week or per year) that you can officially stay living on a leisure mooring? Does it vary between local authorities and their interpretation of residential? Suggestions I've been given include 4 nights a week, 5 nights a week and 11 months a year.

I suspect it may be up to the local authority and /or planning permission. Looking at local holiday accommodation one local council area says unoccupied end of Oct to Easter and another says no more than 13 weeks with the same people in residence.

Somebody will surely know what the correct answer is.

I suspect it may be up to the local authority and /or planning permission. Looking at local holiday accommodation one local council area says unoccupied end of Oct to Easter and another says no more than 13 weeks with the same people in residence.

Somebody will surely know what the correct answer is.

I'm aware of static caravan sites which close completely for one month in January and this seems to ensure that they don't need residential planning permission. Would that be relevant to boats?

I'm aware of static caravan sites which close completely for one month in January and this seems to ensure that they don't need residential planning permission. Would that be relevant to boats?

I'm fairly certain that there is not an 'official" figure/time limit, and that it's totally dependent upon the local management

I think it all depends on what the rules of the marina are. I know there are no live aboard mooring at our marina but there are people who spend 4-5 nights a week staying there as that is allowed by the rules. I think many tend to say so many days in a week or month though rather than so many months or weeks in a year.

It is easy to overcome during a 3 month winter period though - simple move your boat out of the marina once a week or month. If the canal freezes and you cannot move then it can become a problem depending how strictly the marina manager looks at the situation

Nobody (well hardly anybody) regards genuine Continuous Cruisers as getting a free ride. The free riders who attract such opprobrium are those who claim to be CCers, but stay put in one place or just shuffle between a few closely spaced locations only.

When you are out boating other boaters won't know if you are a CCer anyway unless you tell them or they look very closely at your licence. And half of those who do know will be envious of your lifestyle.

How can you tell it is a CC license?

to the OP i suspect that you will be getting a shiney boat so no one will suspect you are a CC'r unless you tell them :lol: but enjoy your boat cruising for 9 months and as said previous get a 3 month mooring for when you want to rest. most of all enjoy whatever you decide to do.

How can you tell it is a CC license?

Licenses have a coding on them to represent your home mooring (or not). There's a code for CCers, I can't remember it. Its the little letters, about 12pt, so you'd really need to look closely (or photograph a high resolution picture, then zoom in on it) to see them - not the kind of thing possible simply by going past eg in a boat and looking at it.

There's a thread on the forum about it somewhere, but no idea what search terms would find it.

Hi all rather than reply to all regarding my initial post, i just want to say sorry, i just want to say i did not want to offend anyone, just trying to find a few answers to many questions i have, it is all very hard to take in, just wanted to find out best way to continue my search for answers to a lot of questions, anyway i am sorry for any remarks i made. I am just so excited abought the prospect of living my dream after waiting many years to get to this point, i may have some time to go yet, but at last i can start planing my dream, thanks for all comments good and bad maybe i had it coming to me but no intention to upset people living this lifestyle was ment. regards to all.

Wullie - - hey - there's no need for apologies.

Welcome to the forum, please read up all the information that's on here, and join in the chat.

IF you get a chance, and are anywhere near any of the (almost spontaneous) 'Banters' (where members get together for a chat, exchange stories, information - and, sometimes drink) you'll be made most welcome