Gloss Black High Temperature Paint For Chimneys & Exhasts

Featured Posts

I tried a thread on this before, but it wasn't conclusive, and links provided at the time no longer work, so I'm trying again.

Looking for black paint to put on both stove chimneys and vertical engine exhausts that will be durable, and withstand the highest temperatures involved.

I'm looking for gloss black finish, rather than satin or matt.

High temperature exhaust paints I have bought previously came up matt - not what I want, but this seems far more common, and several of the very high temperature paints don't seem to specify what the finish will be.

So does anybody have a product they have used on stove chimneys and/or vertical exhaust pipes that they know comes up gloss please?

This one looks good on temperature, but is it gloss?

This one says gloss, but is intended primarily for cylinder heads. OK, or not?

Anybody got a definite recommendation please?

I don't mind whether it is aerosol or brush on.

Thats the one I will use in the new exhaust, the next question is primer ?

"

Simoniz Engine Enamel Paint

GLOSS BLACK

Features
  • For use on cylinder heads.
  • Tough, durable and hard wearing.
  • Quick drying, no need to use primer.
  • Resists solvents and additives.
  • Ideal for racing, customising and high performance applications.

It's the line that reads "Ideal for racing, customising and high performance applications" that's amusing me.......

It's the line that reads "Ideal for racing, customising and high performance applications" that's amusing me.......

"Sickle" really is quite fast!..............

Just been pointed at that one on Facebook, and TBH, its one of the few cases where it actually says both "ExhaustPaint" and "Gloss"

I'm surprised it only says good up to 240 degrees C, though, although I'm sure that's enough.

This is another "brush on" that has been suggested, (and is cheaper)....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_175597_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

International do (or used to) a heat resistant black gloss. That's been on my Heron/Squirrel stove flue pipes for some years and it stands the temperatures here OK.

On the detachable bits (stove and Kelvin) I used Dulux Trade Gloss Black and that's surviving well and still shiny.

N

Hi,

I have used Hammerite black gloss on exhaust pipes with good results, not sure about stove pipes as mine is cold wall insulated to avoid tar runs.

Mike.

I've always just used ordinary black gloss.

It used to be said that painting the chimney while it's hot gives it better heat resistance.

May or not be an old wives' or boatman's tale.

Tim

It used to be said that painting the chimney while it's hot gives it better heat resistance.

May or not be an old wives' or boatman's tale.

Tim

or maybe meaningless -- what is allegedly resisting the heat, and why is it an advantage? Chimneys are going to get hot whatever you paint them with!

or maybe meaningless -- what is allegedly resisting the heat, and why is it an advantage? Chimneys are going to get hot whatever you paint them with!

Pedantry groan

frusty.gif

You know exactly what I meant.

Tim