Featured Posts

Only starts cold in a heat wave and then a bit reluctantly. Otherwise it needs starting with burning starting papers.

In the video it was started only a few hours after it had previously been running and was still warm.

Rob

Great job and nice engine. Will it fit my motorcycle?

IMG_4106.jpg

Its the one at Ellesmere Port museum. Reversible two stroke.

It would have been great to have got hold of one to 'refit', as so much of the rest of the boat is original, I did seriously consider trying, it would have made a lovely museum piece/toy but limited usefulness.

Tim

That's tiny! You want one like this:

P1010722r.jpg

Its in the warehouse of things that are too big to show in the Science Museum in Birmingham

Not that much in it, 3J5 is 112 3/4" overall, 8L3 including 2UC direct drive gearbox (3J5 has no gearbox) 133 1/2", weight is about the same. The later 8L3B is rated at 200 to 260 bhp, depending upon duty, compared with the mere 54 bhp of the 3J5.

I did some work on an 8L3B some years ago, including new cylinder liners and head overhaul, when collecting the new joint set from the then Gardner agents they handed it over with the comment that 'a fresh roll of toilet paper is supplied with every set'!

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Is that a twin cylinder version of the Gardners that went into the C&C boats?

Very nice, good Job ;0)

Does anyone have a home for this one below? Got offered it today, slight catch it is currently in Argentina. 1922 Gardner VT twin cylinder marine semi-diesel

gardnervt.jpg

Is that a twin cylinder version of the Gardners that went into the C&C boats?

I think so.

They were certainly 'VT' engines, but not sure about the size designations. I think the C&C engines were 4VT, although single cylinder engines.

Tim