boaters target boaters

Trix

Featured Posts

Whilst cycling along the tow path yesterday I noticed a line of ten plus boats with tickets , one chap was standing on his boat so I enquired why all these boats had tickets , his reply was that because they were opposite a Marina and those in said Marina had complained about those on the tow path. I asked if all were over stayers and he said all moved but some were a few days over , he then showed me his ticket , now I cycle down this bit every day , so was a little surprised at what I read , over staying , yes he admits he had been there two days longer than he should but added it was because he was away at a funeral , then rubbish on the tow path , now I know that's not true , uncontrollable dog ummm I've passed his dog several times perfectly behaved , running a generator non stop , I didn't even know he had one . I think it's a little off of another boater to report these people for things that are not true , yes he over stayed and I can't argue with that but the rest as far as I have seen is fabricated and that is poor .

:( such is life I suppose , and yet very sad. We are supposed to look out for each other. Ok !! if someone is being a lickle cheeky and bending the rules, but it cost nowt to just go over and talk to other boaters if you have any concerns,

lf there is fabrication, it needs to be vigorously challenged!! Any form of penalty must follow strict rules of evidence, and if, as you say, this is vindictive for whatever reason, the ticket issuer must produce verifiable evidence to support the allegations. There are enough problems with 'real' offenders without alienating the rest.

sad.png such is life I suppose , and yet very sad. We are supposed to look out for each other. Ok !! if someone is being a lickle cheeky and bending the rules, but it cost nowt to just go over and talk to other boaters if you have any concerns,

What is equally sad is that there are boaters whom have such little respect for their fellow boaters, that they feel it unnecessary to follow the behaviour expected of, and recognised by, the majority - and yet remonstrate when brought to book

• Greenie 2

I'm with Arphamoe on this one. The facts need drawn to the attention of CRT. There have been a number of cases in various threads were CRT appear to have "jumped the gun" tickets for overstaying before the boat has actually overstayed etc.

Each and every "mistake" needs drawn to their attention before it becomes entrenched practice.

I would suspect the marina rather than boaters. Certainly around our area, there appears to be pressure on c&rt from marinas, to get people with no apparent mooring, or who aren't using their moorings, off the cut, or heftily chased. To the extent that even with a home mooring, if you choose to be out most of the time, it starts to feel like harassment.

To the extent that even with a home mooring, if you choose to be out most of the time, it starts to feel like harassment.

So true..I find myself adding "we have a mooring just above Picadilly Gardens" quite often into conversations with other boaters...just in case they think we're "one of those naughty boaters" . I must learn to stop doing that.....

Whilst cycling along the tow path yesterday I noticed a line of ten plus boats with tickets , one chap was standing on his boat so I enquired why all these boats had tickets , his reply was that because they were opposite a Marina and those in said Marina had complained about those on the tow path. I asked if all were over stayers and he said all moved but some were a few days over , he then showed me his ticket , now I cycle down this bit every day , so was a little surprised at what I read , over staying , yes he admits he had been there two days longer than he should but added it was because he was away at a funeral , then rubbish on the tow path , now I know that's not true , uncontrollable dog ummm I've passed his dog several times perfectly behaved , running a generator non stop , I didn't even know he had one . I think it's a little off of another boater to report these people for things that are not true , yes he over stayed and I can't argue with that but the rest as far as I have seen is fabricated and that is poor .

I am confused (nothing new) I doubt you will be able to answer this as it was not you who was ticketed, but what was the ticket? Was it a CC1, CC2 or are they not CCers? Unfortunately boaters reporting other boaters is becoming the normal why people can not talk to each other baffles me.

I am confused (nothing new) I doubt you will be able to answer this as it was not you who was ticketed, but what was the ticket? Was it a CC1, CC2 or are they not CCers? Unfortunately boaters reporting other boaters is becoming the normal why people can not talk to each other baffles me.

To be honest its the first time Ive even seen a ticket , it was more like a long letter , they are ccers , im told that one boat that was being pulled by another had a section 8 put on it ( i think that is what he called it ) , can not say what the circumstances are behind that as it is only what I was told .

To be honest its the first time Ive even seen a ticket , it was more like a long letter , they are ccers , im told that one boat that was being pulled by another had a section 8 put on it ( i think that is what he called it ) , can not say what the circumstances are behind that as it is only what I was told .

Ok thanks sound like a mixture of tickets guess this was in the South

What you don't say is who issued the tickets, the reason I ask this is that locally one marina owner has in the past issued official looking tickets in an attemp to clear the area opposite his entrance. Nothing to do with the boaters moored in the marina and nothing to do with BW (as it was then)

What is equally sad is that there are boaters whom have such little respect for their fellow boaters, that they feel it unnecessary to follow the behaviour expected of, and recognised by, the majority - and yet remonstrate when brought to book

Couldnt agree more.

Surely if the ticketed boaters in question were doing nothing wrong then they wouldnt have been ticketed in the first instance. I have no sympathy for those who try to bend the rules and then get arsey when they are pulled up about it.

• Greenie 1

Boaters talking to Boaters? Yeh that would so work. IMO if the CM'er is set on doing what he likes, no amount of talking to by another boater is going to change his ways. Only official action will rectify ( by that I mean result in a small shuffle with someone on another warning) the situation.

I would however speak to someone with unreasonable engine/generator running.

Edited by Biggles

Boaters talking to Boaters? Yeh that would so work. IMO if the CM'er is set on doing what he likes, no amount of talking to by another boater is going to change his ways. Only official action will rectify ( by that I mean result in a small shuffle with someone on another warning) the situation.

I would however speak to someone with unreasonable engine/generator running.

I thought Vaughan Welch had gone a bit quite recently is this the 2,000 boats doing "the midnight shuffle"?

• Greenie 1

Couldnt agree more.

Surely if the ticketed boaters in question were doing nothing wrong then they wouldnt have been ticketed in the first instance. I have no sympathy for those who try to bend the rules and then get arsey when they are pulled up about it.

Particularly when it is often reported on here that if you have some sort of emergency or urgent issue all you need to do is speak to CRT who prove to be perfectly reasonable about it.

No doubt these comments will agitate the 'People's revolutionary organisation for the free occupation of the waterways' contingent on here.

I'm not sure though that I would go to the lengths of 'reporting' another boat I suspected of overstaying (if that is indeed what has happened) because for all I know they may have had that conversation with the Trust - enforcement is for the Trust to engage in not for boaters - in my opinion of course.

Because, by and large, those who are breaking the rules know that they are breaking the rules.

Do you think it likely that somebody who is overstaying will, upon being told "Excuse me, but you've actually be here for 15 days now" by a fellow boater will say "Oh, golly, how the time flies, I'll be off then!"

Is it not FAR more likely that the response will be "Mind your own business!" (at the very least).

If there is a genuine reason, how does it help to have assorted local boaters demanding to know your reason for overstaying.

If somebody is overstaying, then it is entirely appropriate to draw CRT's attention to the fact. If they are already aware of a good reason and/or permission has been granted, they need take no action, and can advise the reporter that appropriate action (quite possibly none) is being taken, without the private business of the overstaying boater being broadcast.

If somebody has been over-egging the pudding in their complaints, I condemn that without reservation. However, the fact that somebody has accused him incorrectly of certain things doesn't alter the fact that they have also accused him correctly of overstaying. Had he told CRT that he needed to overstay in advance, I am sure that more sympathy would have been extended.

Because, by and large, those who are breaking the rules know that they are breaking the rules.

Do you think it likely that somebody who is overstaying will, upon being told "Excuse me, but you've actually be here for 15 days now" by a fellow boater will say "Oh, golly, how the time flies, I'll be off then!"

Is it not FAR more likely that the response will be "Mind your own business!" (at the very least).

If there is a genuine reason, how does it help to have assorted local boaters demanding to know your reason for overstaying.

If somebody is overstaying, then it is entirely appropriate to draw CRT's attention to the fact. If they are already aware of a good reason and/or permission has been granted, they need take no action, and can advise the reporter that appropriate action (quite possibly none) is being taken, without the private business of the overstaying boater being broadcast.

If somebody has been over-egging the pudding in their complaints, I condemn that without reservation. However, the fact that somebody has accused him incorrectly of certain things doesn't alter the fact that they have also accused him correctly of overstaying. Had he told CRT that he needed to overstay in advance, I am sure that more sympathy would have been extended.

Thanks david now I fully understand

Treat people like reasonable human beings and they act like reasonable human beings.

Reasonable people accept that, for the good of all, there are rules, and accept that it is not reasonable for people to simply decide that they don't like that rule and opt out of it (or arbitrarily award themselves an exemption from it).

Where you have rules, you must have a way of dealing with those who fail to abide by the rules.

Do you contend that writing to people to advise that they appear to have broken the rules, and pointing out the consequences is not treating them as reasonable human beings?

You are fond of telling us that your licencing status is a matter between you and the relevant authority. Does this not also apply to mooring status?

Surely you would applaud the situation where those who have concerns about overstaying contact CRT, and leave it to CRT to decide if there is or is not an issue.

We moor in a reasonably small marina where access to the pontoon style moorings is difficult for longer boats under normal circumstances and impossible when boats are moored against the towpath opposite. There are also a few in-line moorings (that don't suffer that problem).

It is far from unusual for boats to suddenly appear opposite the moorings and the (presumed) owners disappear into thin air until they re-appear when they decide that it is time to move their boat again. From time to time the visitors moor up opposite the in-line moorings and run generators & engines at all sorts of times. Unfortunately the marina operator is not always present when the visiting boaters themselves are around. That said, I am aware that there have been threats made to people questioning the presence and position of the visiting boats.

The problem is often worse in the winter months when boats appear and stay for several weeks at a stretch. It is also amazing how many of the visitors say they can't move because their boat is defective in some way or other and yet, despite there being a resident engineer at the boatyard, the said visitors seldom approach him to look at or fix their boat(s).

With due respect to the OP we don't know all the facts e.g. are there any houses nearby whose owners may have reported the "offending" boats? Did the OP (or the person he spoke to) actually see & read all the various notices? I don't doubt that the situation was reported in good faith but I think facts need to be confirmed before there's too much tarring with the same brush.