Prop shaft stuck issue

Robbo

Featured Posts

Has anyone have any ideas or suggestions on a prop shaft that has come away from its coupling (about 2-3 inches) and now won't move or turn. My guess is the stern gland needs to be slackened off a bit, but is there anything else or anything else I should be aware of? I don't know if the prop could be easily turned before as its a neighbours boat.

Cheers,

Robbo

Try putting a boarding plank down the weedhatch so it goes behind the prop, preferably down onto the nut. You can use the plank as a lever to push the propshaft back

The shaft tube and shaft have worn, and you've managed to push two worn bits and some crap together

Richard

Have a poke-about down the weed-hatch.

If its moved backwards by a few inches it could be fouled against the rudder.

Already have, but more a poke as unable to see the prop as too much silt been stirred up by the wind were had. Will be taking another look.

Try putting a boarding plank down the weedhatch so it goes behind the prop, preferably down onto the nut. You can use the plank as a lever to push the propshaft back

There speaks a man with a cruiser sterned boat!

You would struggle to get any plank much bigger than a 2 foot long ruler down our weed hatch!

The shaft tube and shaft have worn, and you've managed to push two worn bits and some crap together

This is what I thought, the weed hatch doesn't have much room above it for easy access unfortunately.

If I use the coupling that attaches to the prop I could use this to lever. Does anyone see any issues with this or should I try loosing the stern gland first / as well as? Should I forget loosing the stern gland?

If I use the coupling that attaches to the prop I could use this to lever. Does anyone see any issues with this or should I try loosing the stern gland first / as well as? Should I forget loosing the stern gland?

I'd suggest that you need to make sure the prop is not lodged behind the rudder (or anything) as if you get a lot of leverage on the coupling you might break / bend a prop blade.

Sound like diving mask and 'speedos' to me. - Enjoy !!!

It's a bit cold, but... Can you grab hold of a couple of prop blades and wriggle the shaft back in?

Richard

They don't even budge doing this, not even a wiggle. We took the chance of cleaning everything around the prop.

I would give it a try without. It's quite possible that you have the shaft stuck in the stern gland 'nut' - the bit that pushes the packing into the stern gland - rather than in the tube itself. Alternatively you have managed to get a bit of packing down the sterntube. Either way, try reversing what you did first

I wouldn't be surprised to find it is only stuck for a few millimetres

Richard

I would give it a try without. It's quite possible that you have the shaft stuck in the stern gland 'nut' - the bit that pushes the packing into the stern gland - rather than in the tube itself. Alternatively you have managed to get a bit of packing down the sterntube. Either way, try reversing what you did first

I wouldn't be surprised to find it is only stuck for a few millimetres

Richard

Good advice, although cant reverse what I've done as I think the shaft has been slipping from the coupling for a while and a good reverse has made it come off!

The shaft probably walked backwards in reverse. If you can leaver or tap the coupling forwards then it may come loose. why did the coupling come loose? has a clamp bolt come off?

I'm not 100% sure yet, I've only had a quick look at the coupling part and made sure I found the key.

Might a couple of G Clamps be put across the gap to draw it back, once the wet end has been proved clear of obstruction?

I might do this with the coupling part taken apart and on the shaft. So can g clamp the coupling and squeeze em back together.

Fully slacken off the stern gland then with a pair of Stilsons rotate and pull the shaft, it is quiet likely that the shaft has a step on it and you have pushed said step into the bearing. As the coupling failed it probably will not have knackered too much.

Slacken off the two nuts that hold the gland packing in the housing, this will help but as the packing is now tightly compressed it won`t be an instant fix, If there are no nuts to loosen / tighten then you have unusual stern gear, I have seen stern glands with a ring tightened by a `c` spanner and I have seen this arrangement seize and shear when it `picked up` on the shaft and wound itself in to destruction. Most likely though is a worn shaft that has wound itself out and jammed in the packing, lots of to and fro manipulation is the probable solution.