GUCC steamer funnel

fittie

Featured Posts

dscf0029tz.jpg

This was dredged out of the cut on the North Oxford canal near Braunston church by Ernie Kendall.

I think it had 2 brass bands but these had been removed before it was chucked in the cut.

paul

Edited by fittie

Braunston isn't on the Coventry.

Oops trying to do too many things at once - talking to someone in Japan at the same time as talking to my younger daughter. I've stopped now and put it right, sorry!

Not sure if that is a GUCCCo funnel, to my memory they just push fit and have no bolts. Our funnel on Barnet is not a true replica and was designed and made at Bradley yard. Malcolm Braine has one still in BW colours btw.

Wow! I have the idea that different boat builders might have different ideas on the exact pattern of these things - much the same as the boats. Yarwood's a tad different to HW built boats. It's funny how different they are and how much the same. The other thing is that a lot of my stuff has been in the waterways museum at some time or other and until people bring this stuff to the attention of others we might never know what is and what isn't .

Oh, where is the fleet number, 20?

If only they had put the numbers on everything!

dscf0034fj.jpg

dscf0033wp.jpg

This is the funnel that the Waterways museum used to make their drawing and copies over 25 years ago.

dscf0034fj.jpg

dscf0033wp.jpg

"This is the funnel that the Waterways museum used to make their drawing and copies over 25 years ago".

Isnt that just typical BW! Why do that when they have the original drawings in the archives!

We love our funnel on "Barnet" not only does it muffle some exhaust noise its great to warm your hands on in cold days.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Isnt that just typical BW! Why do that when they have the original drawings in the archives!

We love our funnel on "Barnet" not only does it muffle some exhaust noise its great to warm your hands on in cold days.

Tony C ( ex curator Stoke B museum) said (25 years ago) that H&W left no drawings for this - but things might have changed ie. some have since come to light.

Do you have a side on image of that fab funnel?

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a browse through my back copies of NarrowBoat and came across this:

chimney001.jpg

Complete with bolts and holes.

Is that Harland and Wolff built them - out in the open like that?

I always assumed that they had covered docks etc.

Is it a side slip from there - or has it already been 'launched'

Are there any pictures surviving of how they did it?

I always assumed that they had covered docks etc.

Is it a side slip from there - or has it already been 'launched'

Are there any pictures surviving of how they did it?

Here's a launch, I think it's my old boat THEMIS, allegedly the first to be built, being launched

Themis-1_zpsb81e9db9.gif

Cribbed from a book, (Canals of London & SE??) though I hope old enough to avoid copyright issues.

There's a picture in the same book of two being built side by side, in the open.

That previous picture says it's 1970.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

It's how they built their other boats, not having a shed big enough for the Titanic

Richard

I was having a browse through my back copies of NarrowBoat and came across this:

chimney001.jpg

Complete with bolts and holes.

I can't get that image to open

Richard

Here's a launch, I think it's my old boat THEMIS, allegedly the first to be built, being launched

Themis-1_zpsb81e9db9.gif

Cribbed from a book, (Canals of London & SE??) though I hope old enough to avoid copyright issues.

There's a picture in the same book of two being built side by side, in the open.

That previous picture says it's 1970.

Tim

I have a copy of that book - Historic Waterway Scenes London & South-East England by Martyn Denney.

As well as the picture of Themis being launched, it shows pictures of motor sterns being constructed in the open, the stern ends of a motor and two butties having finishing touches applied in a shed, and a completed motor being lifted by a steam crane (crane built by Thomas Smith & Sons of Rodley, Leeds).

For a view of the Harland and Wolff site today: Bing View

That was at Norton Cane having some refit work done

H & W yard was open.will try to find pics when I get in the lockup

beaten

H & W had massive workshops on the site where most boats were built, there are good internal pictures of the works in several books. If you look on historic google earth you will see how the yard is laid out. Its at Gallions point, today only the main entrance gates survive.

Some early trip boats had a small funnel whose main purpose was to disguise a 10lb Butane bottle.

Tim

You are quite correct, one was fitted to Pisces when she operated as the trip boat "Water Srpite" here are a couple of photos before it was removed (for fairly obvious reasons!)

Uxbridge196602.jpg

img068-1.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

• 4 years later...