They want shafting with a stick

Darren72

Featured Posts

After passing thru Barnoldswick on the LL, we came to a sudden stop with no power. An 8ft of mattress remnant thrown in the canal from SILENTNIGHT. After spending 15 minutes with my head and arms in ice cold water cutting this off the prop and swearing in a rather loud manner, we were off again. For what seemed like seconds. The rudder was entwined with a length also. Down I go again!!!

After taking precautions not to take on any further floating bed materials we noticed the canal is littered in this stuff.

BE AWARE!!

I nice email is going to be sent to the company SILENTNIGHT. In no way will I be silent till I get a reply from these illegal dumpers of waste. Should I inform CaRT and the local council?

Scuse what may be a stupid question due to lack of local knowledge, but was this near to a Silentnight factory or something? Ie, why do you think it is Silentnight that did it, and not just someone dumping their old mattress or even some other company dumping a load of old mattresses, like might happen if a hotel was being refurbished or something? Seems odd that a company would be dumping their own stock at all, much less into the cut?!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

I nice email is going to be sent to the company SILENTNIGHT. In no way will I be silent till I get a reply from these illegal dumpers of waste. Should I inform CaRT and the local council?

To be charitable to Silentnight, it may not be deliberately dumped but perhaps the product of being blown about in the strong winds of late.

The local plastic barrel factory at Disley (Peak Forest) was always a good source of brand new water barrels floating down the canal after a strong wind. Great ballast for an ex working boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

Scuse what may be a stupid question due to lack of local knowledge, but was this near to a Silentnight factory or something? Ie, why do you think it is Silentnight that did it, and not just someone dumping their old mattress or even some other company dumping a load of old mattresses, like might happen if a hotel was being refurbished or something? Seems odd that a company would be dumping their own stock at all, much less into the cut?!

Agreed A large company like that doesn't need to fly tip :lol: If there is a depot near by, it's probably kids getting hold of damaged stock somehow or just a coincidence.

To be charitable to Silentnight, it may not be deliberately dumped but perhaps the product of being blown about in the strong winds of late.

The local plastic barrel factory at Disley (Peak Forest) was always a good source of brand new water barrels floating down the canal after a strong wind. Great ballast for an ex working boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

Skips do come with lids nowadays. They are 100% liable if its blown from a skip or kids have got in and thrown it about. They have a responsibility for their waste management.

Star! You pass SILENTNIGHT factory who make mattresses, then you come across what seems like a hundred foot of mattress remnants in about 4-6 inch wide strips in varying lengths floating across the canal for the next 1/2 mile.

Not hard to add 2 + 2 to make 4

Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the manufacturers so that would be a waste of effort, they wouldn't be so silly to fly tip on their doorstep.

I would let CRT know though and Richard at Canal Boat Escapes might appreciate a call re specific location in order he can let his customers know.

Edited by The Dog House

Star! You pass SILENTNIGHT factory who make mattresses, then you come across what seems like a hundred foot of mattress remnants in about 4-6 inch wide strips in varying lengths floating across the canal for the next 1/2 mile.

Not hard to add 2 + 2 to make 4

Darren! Explaining in the first post that this was near a Silentnight factory would have negated the need for me to ask if it was near to a Silentnight factory or something! :D

Darren! Explaining in the first post that this was near a Silentnight factory would have negated the need for me to ask if it was near to a Silentnight factory or something! :D

CRT are still the ones that need to take action to get them removed. So they should be the first port of call.

If the trust determine that they are from the factory it's for them to follow it up with Silent Night. I suppose it's possible that they could be in some way held responsible if they have been 'removed by persons unknown' and dumped (a bit like supermarket trolleys) but still for CRT to sort I would say.

I'm not saying I agree or not that it was down to Silentnight, just trying to establish why Darren thought it was something to do with them, other than the label on the mattress, as I could not tell from the first post that it was near to a Silentnight factory.

I'm not saying I agree or not that it was down to Silentnight, just trying to establish why Darren thought it was something to do with them, other than the label on the mattress, as I could not tell from the first post that it was near to a Silentnight factory.

Cheers yes I sussed that, it wasn't specifically in response to you, so not sure why I quoted.

:cheers:

Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the manufacturers so that would be a waste of effort, they wouldn't be so silly to fly tip on their doorstep.

I would let CRT know though and Richard at Canal Boat Escapes might appreciate a call re specific location in order he can let his customers know.

Well here's one customer who now knows - thanks . But is this going East or West ?

Well here's one customer who now knows - thanks . But is this going East or West ?

Just got an email notification you responded -

So - the factory and therefore presumably the mattresses are in the direction of Skipton from lower park marina and canal boat escapes - I'm sure it'll be sorted by the time you come though, as slow as CRT can sometimes appear to be.

Ed the op refers to 'after, passing through Barnoldswick' which implies they are not actually that near the factory site'.

Edited by The Dog House