Historic Working Boat books/Autobiographies? ?

junior

Featured Posts

Ive just been reading the article in the most recent Waterways World mag written by David Bolton about George Smith. It recounts some stories from 'the old days'. I fojnd it fascinating and was disappointed it was only a double page spread.

Can anyone recomend a book I'd be able to purchase that will satisfy my want to read more stories about working boatmen from the first half of last centuary? I'd prefer it to be non-fiction, i.e. real stories.

"The Working Waterways" series are very good - there are 7 books in the series.

While it could be classed as fiction Ramlin Rose, A Boatwaman's Story is actually a story woven together from the accounts of boatwomen about their lives by the author. It remains one of my all time favourite books

If you really want to hear from someone who worked the waterways intensively for a number of years from BCN Joey boating with horses, through to being a narrow boat "number one", and also working on larger barge traffic, then I personally think the Tom Foxon trilogy in that series is by far the best.

Not wishing to knock some of the other authors, but by comparison some only dabbled in comparison to Foxon's involvement.

I did find with the Foxon books though, that unless you know the bit of the network he is currently on intimately, a map was necessary alongside reading his words, to really understand just how hard he worked. Never more so that with his extensive travels on the BCN!

Personally I think Susan Wolfitt's book is the best of the Idle Women series. Despite Kit Gayford's role as a trainer, I found her book by far the least interesting read, and I found the Margaret Cornish one rather too depressing, although it offers a counterpoise to the more "Jolly Hockey Sticks" line taken by Wolfitt!

"The Working Waterways" series are very good - there are 7 books in the series.

More than that - about 10 I would say, and that is what Fade to Scarlet's link says.

I couldn't get on with the David Blagrove ones, (sorry David!), but maybe that's just me!

This is fairly brief, and the shadow authoring isn't that great, but gives a good idea of life on the boats....

Linky 1

Personally I quite like this too...

Linky 2

It can sometimes be found "remaindered".

Edited by alan_fincher

Of those books on the link, the only one I seem to have missed is the last Foxon one. All a good read if you're interested in waterways. Still have a soft spot for "Hold on a Minute". I think it's a great thing that these books are still available, even if I prefer my older copies with more original covers.

I found the articles written in Canal and river boat magazine about the whitlocks and Laura carter published a few years ago extremely interesting and enjoyable. It's a shame Tim coghlan hasn't published these articles and others into book form.

Darren

I had forgotten to mention "Upgate Downgate" which is about working boats on The Chesterfield Canal. It is a very interesting read but sadly out of print.

.....Although I do happen to have a copy available over on the virtual bric-a-brac table ;)

There are several for proper canals, such as:

A Life on the Humber, Harry Fletcher, 1975, ISBN 0571107230

The Ramblings of a Boatman, A L Hill, 1996, publisher privately

The Weaver Watermen, T S Lightfoot, published by Cheshire Libraries, ISBN 0904532070

Working Life on Severn & Canal, compiled by Hugh Conway-Jones, 1990, ISBN 0862997453

The Last of the Sailing Coasters, Edmund Eglinton, 1982, ISBN 0112903363 (He worked up the Severn on occasion)

Not canals, but one of my favourites is:

From Tree to Sea, Ted Frost, 1985, ISBN 0861380339, about building wooden steam drifters at Lowestoft.