Another broken water pump question...

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

By the way, my original fears were confirmed. There WAS a spider waiting to get me by the water pump. :help:

There usually is. The thing is, you survived being 'got' by it, and I bet it didn't draw blood, so now you don't need ever to worry about a spider EVAR AGAIN. Sorted.

I expect the spider has been fiddling with the pressure screw, come to think about it....

Hope that helps.

MtB

When my Jabsco leaked it was from the side that wasnt pressure sensed, so it leaked out under gravity +a little bit.

That said looking back it did run for longer and longer each time after closing the tap before the pressure switch was satisfyieyeiyied.

I ordered the service kits before even starting the repair, managed t fix it for free but at least i have a spare service kit and I have to say, its very comprehensive, Jabso service kits arent crazy prices either, gold star for jabsco in my book.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

When my Jabsco leaked it was from the side that wasnt pressure sensed, so it leaked out under gravity +a little bit.

That said looking back it did run for longer and longer each time after closing the tap before the pressure switch was satisfyieyeiyied.

I ordered the service kits before even starting the repair, managed t fix it for free but at least i have a spare service kit and I have to say, its very comprehensive, Jabso service kits arent crazy prices either, gold star for jabsco in my book.

Thanks, Funky :)

And that is what happens to you when reply to a post while on the train! :rolleyes:

Thanks smiley. Why do I need to know how much water is in the accumulator?

Dunno. :) Just kidding, 30-60 seconds may be OK to fill a large accumulator, but if there's not much in there it sounds a bit suspect. Would be good to check the voltage on the pump motor when running, as mentioned above.

By the way, my original fears were confirmed. There WAS a spider waiting to get me by the water pump. :help:

Don't worry, probably a big house spider and they're pretty timid.

Coasty's pump started doing that last summer. it isn't right and it sounds awful. I suspect the microswitch in the pressure switch goes high-resistance as the pressure rises and it is on the cusp of switching, leading to reduced current in the pump motor.

The fix was easy. I fitted a new pump purchased on ebay. ;)

Oh Mike! :rolleyes::)

Changing the microswitch should be an easy 15 minute job for someone like you, what hope is there for others on here? Nevertheless fitting a 12V auto relay between pressure switch and motor will ensure the pressure switch never wears out.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I suspect the microswitch in the pressure switch goes high-resistance as the pressure rises and it is on the cusp of switching, leading to reduced current in the pump motor.

Nevertheless fitting a 12V auto relay between pressure switch and motor will ensure the pressure switch never wears out.

Stand back everybody, I've got this.

BSP. Once there was this kitten, right, and it made the water come out of the taps all nice and stuff. But then this gnarly great fuckoff spider burrowed its way up from hell and just smacked the shit out of that pressure switch thing until it went all pressure rises, because it's just a little bitch like that.

The kitten, he stomped along and was all "OMG GTFO NOOB PEWPEWPEW!" **pounce** and the spider ran for its life, and then died horribly, but not before telling all of the other spiders in the WORLD never to go back onto the BSP bote.

So now the kitten is all like, "OMG microswitch pressure switch tomato science hairball!" and tries to fix it up real good.

But see the paws of the kitten, right, they're too wide to poke in the little pokey tiny spiderholes wot the great fuckoff spider did make in the cusp of switching thing to put it right. So all the kitten can do is sit by the water turny on enableater, and guard it from the arrival of the zombies, and occasionally give it a whack to try and make it reduced current in pump motor rainbow ecofan sunshine.

So if you just 12v relay pressure switch Al Quaida to the pressureswitch motor dragon zoom! then the whole thing will be just fine.

Ok?

Edited by Starcoaster

BSP. Once there was this kitten, right, and it made the water come out of the taps all nice and stuff. But then this gnarly great fuckoff spider burrowed its way up from hell and just smacked the shit out of that pressure switch thing until it went all pressure rises, because it's just a little bitch like that.

The kitten, he stomped along and was all "OMG GTFO NOOB PEWPEWPEW!" **pounce** and the spider ran for its life, and then died horribly, but not before telling all of the other spiders in the WORLD never to go back onto the BSP bote.

So now the kitten is all like, "OMG microswitch pressure switch tomato science hairball!" and tries to fix it up real good.

But see the paws of the kitten, right, they're too wide to poke in the little pokey tiny spiderholes wot the great fuckoff spider did make in the cusp of switching thing to put it right. So all the kitten can do is sit by the water turny on enableater, and guard it from the arrival of the zombies, and occasionally give it a whack to try and make it reduced current in pump motor rainbow ecofan sunshine.

So if you just 12v relay pressure switch Al Quaida to the pressureswitch motor dragon zoom! then the whole thing will be just fine.

Ok?

solved!!! :D what she said!! (brilliant btw!).

"OMG microswitch pressure switch tomato science hairball!" - pure GENIUS the next film i see i want to hear that line! I'm thinking a pixar animation? :D

Ok?

Thank goodness you came, star. There was me understanding the fellers' advice. Luckily you've put me straight. I know my place. :D

Not to mention :blink: :blink:

Ok?

Thank goodness you came, star. There was me understanding the fellers' advice. Luckily you've put me straight. I know my place. :D

Ok?

check for leaks basically, kitchen roll (or tissue) is great for finding a slow leak. With mine it was so gradual you hardly noticed it. In the summer the heat dried it out fgaster than it happened. Winter came and It was only when i was using a tank of water in 10 days I got suspect, two weeks later it all reared its ugly head dramatically.

Hmm.... Curiouser and curiouser, said Pud

I'm not sying its leaking but it needs ruling out! :):cheers:

if the pressure builds up slowly enough, around the areas where the switch cuts out blurrs, this simulates voltage drop, a meter on the pump will show this, if it slows but the voltage stays fairly constant then you have my issue. if it slows and the voltage drops accordingly, start checking all the joins in the power feed.

:D my curiouser comment was about my triple posting because I'm on a train. The delay in my curiouser post appearing however, was because I'm on a train! :D

I'm not ruling out a leak in the pump, so thanks for the heads up. The fact that the pump does actually cut out now (before I fixed the header tank leak it didn't cut out) I was hoping that was the end of the leaks. But I'll check for leaks, check what happens if I slightly tweak the pressure screw thingy, and check voltage.

Thanks all. I'll report back in a few days once I'm bantered out.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Skinny cables or a bad connection in the feed will show less htan 10volts

intermittently assuming batteries are good condition and well charged. <- small print phew

If the voltage stays 11v and up then check meticulously for leaks

Since fixing my parmax jabsco pump the run on time for the accumilatorerororUR is 3-4 secs compaired to 10-15 secs before repair. 3ltr accumber aTOR and ive not checked the air side so no idea.

It was my way of saying that I didn't get it (and also I didn't when mine did similar) not impying that you didn't, and also commenting on Pete saying it was all very well for MB to say x-y-z, but in practice, not so easy.

Edited by Starcoaster

It was my way of saying that I didn't get it (and also I didn't when mine did similar) not impying that you didn't, and also commenting on Pete saying it was all very well for MB to say x-y-z, but in practice, not so easy.

:D it made me chuckle, star. Now all I need is a kitten, right?

playing about some more but actually witha REAL stop watch and not my head.

With the engine running the run on time for my 3ltr acccccccc thing is less than 1 second.

With the engine recently run ie voltage high 12.9 region, ru on time is less LESS than 2 seconds.

No slow bit at end.

it was easy 6 secs with a slow bit towards the end before when it was leaking.

Edit: jabsco parmax 4 with 3ltr ......TING

Just got back from a rather lovely weekend of banterage, Boat Museumage and boozage. As I'd turned off the water isolator valve while I was away I decided to take a few snaps of the water pump, ready to play around with it properly tomorrow. Ignore the white kitchen towel everywhere, I've put that in to show up any leaks that might be present. I recognise the pump. I recognise the accumulator. But what's the little doohickey in the top left?

19507ee5857d0ea20001130e02e2f85c_zpsef56f434.jpg

And here's a close up... I can't make out enough of the writing to identify it (is it a filter of some sort? If so it's quite small)

3c724f9f50e9f9df8597b4fd260d2b7f_zps67ba593e.jpg

Incidentally, the area around and under the pump is dry. An old soaky-uppy sock thing that's been in there since I bought the boat was also completely dry and very light, so it doesn't seem to have had any moisture in it for a long time, if ever. Its presence suggests there may have been a time when there was a leak somewhere around this equipment, of course.

Just got back from a rather lovely weekend of banterage, Boat Museumage and boozage. As I'd turned off the water isolator valve while I was away I decided to take a few snaps of the water pump, ready to play around with it properly tomorrow. Ignore the white kitchen towel everywhere, I've put that in to show up any leaks that might be present. I recognise the pump. I recognise the accumulator. But what's the little doohickey in the top left?

19507ee5857d0ea20001130e02e2f85c_zpsef56f434.jpg

And here's a close up... I can't make out enough of the writing to identify it (is it a filter of some sort? If so it's quite small)

3c724f9f50e9f9df8597b4fd260d2b7f_zps67ba593e.jpg

Incidentally, the area around and under the pump is dry. An old soaky-uppy sock thing that's been in there since I bought the boat was also completely dry and very light, so it doesn't seem to have had any moisture in it for a long time, if ever. Its presence suggests there may have been a time when there was a leak somewhere around this equipment, of course.

The white doohickey is an ON/OFF tap. The clear topped doohickey with the red label which says 'Pump Gard In-line strainer' is just that. It will only stop big lumps but from your picky it might benefit from a clean:

•  
  • Run half a bucket full of water
  • Switch off the pump
  • Turn a cold tap on so there is no pressure in the system
  • Turn off the ON/OFF tap
  • Undo the clear plastic ring at the base of the strainer (expect some water to come out)
  • Remove the clear bit and then the strainer gauze widgette.
  • Give the strainer a clean in the half bucket of water.
  • Reassemble
  • Tighten the retaining ring thing
  • Turn the valve on. Check for leaks.
  • Turn the pump on
    Switch the tap off after the air is out of the pipes

The bit on the pump with two orange/red wires and a marking that says 20 PSI is the pressure switch. Any adjustment screw will probably be on the centre line just out of shot.

N

The white doohickey is an ON/OFF tap. The clear topped doohickey with the red label which says 'Pump Gard In-line strainer' is just that. It will only stop big lumps but from your picky it might benefit from a clean:

•  
  • Run half a bucket full of water
  • Switch off the pump
  • Turn a cold tap on so there is no pressure in the system
  • Turn off the ON/OFF tap
  • Undo the clear plastic ring at the base of the strainer (expect some water to come out)
  • Remove the clear bit and then the strainer gauze widgette.
  • Give the strainer a clean in the half bucket of water.
  • Reassemble
  • Tighten the retaining ring thing
  • Turn the valve on. Check for leaks.
  • Turn the pump on
    Switch the tap off after the air is out of the pipes

The bit on the pump with two orange/red wires and a marking that says 20 PSI is the pressure switch. Any adjustment screw will probably be on the centre line just out of shot.

N

I'm glad you've got eyes that can see round a corner! Coz I couldn't read more than "PUMP GA" and "IN LINE S"

(I think you might have the benefit of advanced knowledge of what the label was going to say... I didn't have that knowledge. But thank you)

I do know what the on-off valve is coz that what I used to turn off the way when I went away this weekend. ;)

I'll clean the strainer as you suggest, though, thanks.

Just done one of the easy tests - I ran the pump while the engine is running:

Turned on a tap, eventually the pump kicked in running fast and constant. Turned the tap off and the pump carried on running, slowed slightly (not as slow as what I call the "drone" though) and then it clicked out cleanly after 10 seconds. I tried it twice, same result. It didn't appear to slip into that drone stage for the usual 30+ seconds. Being able to hear the pump without the muffling effect of the locker floor and seating above it makes it much easier to hear the difference between the three pitches of the pump's running sounds. So voltage drop is sounding likely so far.

I'll try again properly tomorrow and see how it fairs if i empty all the water out of the pipes first then turn the pump on, and I'll compare it with and without the engine running and check with a multimeter. (I've not been home long tonight and need to get the place warm and have a bite to eat - tinkering will need to wait till the morning) :P

Well, I've cleaned the strainer (it has some grit in it) and reassembled it.

Trouble is now I don't know how to access the ends of the wires to be able to measure the voltage on the pump itself. I can see the pressure switch housing but its not very accessible because there's a huge lump of OSB in the way. Does the cover come off? If so how? I've searched online and that's not giving me any clues either.

:unsure:

Well, I've cleaned the strainer (it has some grit in it) and reassembled it.

Trouble is now I don't know how to access the ends of the wires to be able to measure the voltage on the pump itself. I can see the pressure switch housing but its not very accessible because there's a huge lump of OSB in the way. Does the cover come off? If so how? I've searched online and that's not giving me any clues either.

:unsure:

Looks like there's a continuous red wire between pressure switch and pump, if you have some terminal block and wire strippers you could cut it and put a terminal block in.

Failing that just leave it and measure between the connection on the other red wire to the pressure switch, and the connection on the black wire from the pump.

Looks like there is a terminal block on the black wire from the pump, probably there is the same on the red wire going to the pressure switch, just push the meter probe in one of the two little tube like holes on top.

Do check the probes are in the right sockets of the meter, usually labelled V and COM.

ETA: Another thing you could try is to unscrew the screw in the middle of the pressure switch 1/4 turn at a time with a short 'chubby' screwdriver, noting the original position. This will make the pressure switch cut out at a lower pressure, but too low and it might take too long to kick in, or it might cycle annoyingly. It'd be good to check the pump is getting enough voltage anyhow.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete