CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

8582531198_1f4d51a3af_b.jpg

NB Castellan out of Glascote Basin

I have tried to think of an excuse for this boater, and can't.

It was moored here Thursday when I arrived and is still moored here now.

There was 1 boat on the VM opposite when I arrived, and 1 grp on the new pontoon - so probably a good 700feet plus of available mooring.

The Services and water point mooring at Fradley are about 120 feet long - I really struggled to get in on Thursday evening with a severe gale blowing me away from this side when I went for water. Other services that boaters need to use are the elsan, rubbish, showers, toilet blocks etc.

Of course the IWA wants rid of those ugly, scruffy pikey boats that block Visitor Moorings and lock landings.

Of course there are daily checks done by CaRT to enforce things.

This is the kind of boat that Nicknorman would not dream of blaming if he arrived at Fradley in midsummer and couldn't get a mooring.

Of course there are not many boats moving due to the weather - but is hat the point?

Just a snapshot example of everything that is wrong with Vaughan Welch, Sally Ash and the Hire boat companies views on the moorings "problems"

Tin hat and popcorn ready.

• Greenie 1

Once again some ill-informed idiot has probably gone jumping to wrong conclusions. :rolleyes:

How does OP not know that the owner of this boat did not suffer a major heart attack only seconds after mooring it here, (or more accurately after they managed to get the TV antenna erected, afer they had moored it here!), and is now possibly fighting for their life in some local hospital.

Cut these shiny boat people some slack, please!

[All very firmly tongue in cheek for the avoidance of any doubt, although I will feel pretty stupid if it turns out that the owner is fighting for their life in a local hospital, of course!....]

There was 1 boat on the VM opposite when I arrived, and 1 grp on the new pontoon - so probably a good 700feet plus of available mooring.

The Services and water point mooring at Fradley are about 120 feet long - I really struggled to get in on Thursday evening with a severe gale blowing me away from this side when I went for water. Other services that boaters need to use are the elsan, rubbish, showers, toilet blocks etc.

Of course the IWA wants rid of those ugly, scruffy pikey boats that block Visitor Moorings and lock landings.

This is the kind of boat that Nicknorman would not dream of blaming if he arrived at Fradley in midsummer and couldn't get a mooring.

Of course there are not many boats moving due to the weather - but is hat the point?

Just a snapshot example of everything that is wrong with Vaughan Welch, Sally Ash and the Hire boat companies views on the moorings "problems"

Matty don't you realise it's all part of the plan, poor sucker is paying £25 a day for the privilege of mooring there.

Looking at the photo carefully, I can't help thinking that Mr. Hudson does not build his splendid boats with one side of the bows several inches higher than the other.

Is this a "Photo Shop" creation?

Once again some ill-informed idiot has probably gone jumping to wrong conclusions. :rolleyes:

How does OP not know that the owner of this boat did not suffer a major heart attack only seconds after mooring it here, (or more accurately after they managed to get the TV antenna erected, afer they had moored it here!), and is now possibly fighting for their life in some local hospital.

Perhaps the only decent TV signal is from this location?

Personally I've always found that things like people mooring on service points attracts the whole spectrum of different boats, from the scruffy livaboards through to hire boats and shiny boats. The only people I really think can be forgiven for this are the hire boats, based on some of the conversations I've had with hire boaters over the years certain hire companies seem to send hirers out with virtually no training (I even met one once who had been told "you can moor anywhere there's a space") and chances are if you see a hire boat moored like this they have absolutely no idea they shouldn't be doing that. What goes through other peoples minds I have no idea, the other day I was passing through Dundas aquaduct, there was only just space for Phoebe (55ft) on the waterpoint because 70ft(ish) boat was also moored there with a guy on it doing some sort of work with an angle grinder. I can see absolutely no reason for this, there were spaces on the visitor moorings on just the other side of the basin (not that a lack of space would excuse mooring on a water point to do work on your boat, imho), and I'd say that if you're well enough to use an angle grinder you're just about well enough to move a boat 100 feet, no?

In this case it was a liveaboard looking boat, but I think anyone that spends much time out and about on the cut knows that this type of thing takes all kinds, and in fact affects all kinds, it doesn't matter if you've got a scruffy 30 year old Springer or a brand new RW Davies boat with a beautiful paintjob and a shiny vintage engine, if you need water on a windy day and someone's blocking your way, that's a pain in the ass. The thing that I wonder is what goes through their heads? How do they justify it to themselves? I'd love to know but i really can't be bothered to get into an argument with a stranger to find out.

edit: I'd like to add that if I was, for some reason (mechanical failure, say?) moored on a service point when I shouldn't be, I would be waiting outside my boat to explain my situation to passing boats and to invite them to moor alongside/ask them for a tow to somewhere more suitable. It's not rocket science.

Edited by Doug Scullery

8582672092_23026696ae.jpg

It does look like that from the high angle - it is almost a Stowe Hill narrowboats curve

8582673046_e9bc610618.jpg

Mr Hudson has designed this boat specially for heart attack victims - it not only runs your generator for you when in hospital - it also empties your ash bucket.

Of course, they are likely to come out on a Saturday. However, I suppose a complaint would suit CaRT when they formulate the Midlands Moorings Proposals consultation.

It was not put up to complain - it was put up to highlight the fact that the "moorings issues" are not always caused by scruffy pikey boats, to highlight how darned selfish some folks are, and to highlight the fact that CaRT will not enforce existing rules , so why waste money on introducing new ones.

Big greenie from me. There is no way CRT don't know the boat is there , and you are quite right lack of common sense and consideration is not exclusive to any specific type of boater. Getting older and lazier so staying put and warm for the next few days.

Looking at the photo carefully, I can't help thinking that Mr. Hudson does not build his splendid boats with one side of the bows several inches higher than the other.

Is this a "Photo Shop" creation?

Having being an owner of a 70 footer built by messers Hudson and clan I would like to state that I NEVER moored on any water point, rubbish area winding hole etc etc. Its the boater not the boat that always is the problem. A bit like kids realy, there arnt any bad kids just pad parents !!

Tim

:clapping:

Good one, Matty

Mr Hudson has designed this boat specially for heart attack victims - it not only runs your generator for you when in hospital - it also empties your ash bucket.

Ha! :lol: I wonder if that boat rents a mooring somewhere... If so we now know it's vacant until they can be arsed to move off the service point, so any CCers in the area who are tired of being harassed by IWA spies and illinformed CaRT volunteers might want to pop over and moor up for free for a few days.

:P

Cut these shiny boat people some slack, please!

[All very firmly tongue in cheek for the avoidance of any doubt, although I will feel pretty stupid if it turns out that the owner is fighting for their life in a local hospital, of course!....]

And how often is that question considered on this forum when it's a scruffy boat moored longer than it should be somewhere? :rolleyes:

This isn't a jibe at you, Alan, but a point about those resentful boaters who hate anyone who doesn't pay what they have chosen to pay for, and express it through encouraging sanctions on other boaters. CaRT will have to ensure financial penalties are served on their beloved moorers as well as CCers if they don't want a huge and possibly colective discrimination law suit thrown at them. And CaRT will have to ensure those financial penalties are followed through even if their beloved grumbling moorers might threaten to leave their mooring and stop paying rent.

CaRT is going to be watched like a hawk... Just like they're encouraging people to do to other boaters

edit: I'd like to add that if I was, for some reason (mechanical failure, say?) moored on a service point when I shouldn't be, I would be waiting outside my boat to explain my situation to passing boats and to invite them to moor alongside/ask them for a tow to somewhere more suitable. It's not rocket science.

The prevailing wind would blow them across the cut to the Visitor Moorings in a couple of minutes.

If fact, they already have their fenders down ready...

Edited by matty40s

Alas, though, Matty, as much as I'm with you on outing the reality that no-one is safe and all types are offenders, you've inadvertently fallen into CaRT's Big Brother Society trap of self policing and grassing up another boater. :(

Slippery slope.

I will delete this thread at 8.59 am on Monday so no-one from CaRT sees it. :cheers:

I did wonder about mooring on a longterm mooring recently as the person paying for it was moored on the opposite side, near the water point. He had been there since before Christmas I was told

Edited by sueb