CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

It's been mooted (previously) that one should talk to them, point out the inconvenience and their lack of consideration, and if they are reasonable they should move off.

Unless their engines have (all) broken down, of course

On the day I was there, three of the four boats may have only arrived that day, though three days later they are still there (when I went to look for my camera lens which I left by the guillotine lock when taking the picture). The one that has been there since (at least) December is really taking the piss. I'm not naming and shaming, I'm not even complaining. It was awkward but I managed. I don't think an inexperienced boatman would but there is very little moving at present, only us truly hardy northeners. As for talking, no one was aboard.

there is the Cd'ers. They move when it suits and continuously dump their boat where it feels best. I see 2 types as i go, some leave in the middle of no where and some 2 ft off the facilities, they dont come back for 3 or 4 weeks!!! A crininal 5 sometimes! 5!! honestly 5!!

I'm talking 5 real earth human weeks not those interstellar copies!!!

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Can't most issues like this be sorted on the towpath? I'd guess, and hope, most are.

It's too easy to damn someone on a forum and from the comfort of home.

(But then we wouldn't have the entertainment of this thread)

Where has the term 'enforcement officer' come from? Is it really a job title used by CRT? Or a term adopted by others. Sounds very American.

Glenn

Nobody actually been up to them and said that they're famous? I'm sure you won't get grief for letting them know.

If we don't know that they know, we also don't know if they have been in touch with CRT. If they have and it's fine (for some reason), then there should be some official sign you have to place on the window, with relevant reference number for enquiries.

Can't most issues like this be sorted on the towpath? I'd guess, and hope, most are.

Glenn

The working boaters did sort this kind of thing on the towpath, of course – with fists and windlasses if shouting didn't work. A more robust era, my masters.

Where has the term 'enforcement officer' come from? Is it really a job title used by CRT? Or a term adopted by others. Sounds very American.

Glenn

Why should it need somebody to speak to them? They are either there with the knowledge and blessing of the Trust or they are blatant piss takers. If it's the latter they will already know this and it will hardly need somebody else to point this out.

Why should it need somebody to speak to them? They are either there with the knowledge and blessing of the Trust or they are blatant piss takers. If it's the latter they will already know this and it will hardly need somebody else to point this out.

Fair enough.

But the first thing I do if someone is in my way, I ask them to move. That's not an unreasonable thing to do. And most people respond positively.

If they're not in my way, then it's probably no business of mine.

Glenn

Of course. We only need to stroll up and have a polite word with these people and they'll say "oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise I wasn't meant to moor on this clearly signed service mooring for 3 weeks." Then they'll untie their ropes and move off immediately.

We mustn't complain on the forum until we've made said complaint to fellow boaters who are probably utterly reasonable people.

Utter bollocks. If I came across someone moored on services I will have a whinge on the forum and have every right to. I'm not an enforcement officer and will not risk an earful of abuse that may arise from approaching people who are obviously inconsiderate and are therefore more likely to give me an earful of abuse.

It's been said before, what's wrong with merely putting an anonymous but friendly note under their door? Or just say a general hello to them or acknowledge them when you tie up?

How much sympathy do you want if you're not willing to at least try and actually do something in some small risk-free way?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

You think you had trouble at Fradley sani station, you should try Todmorden.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/uploads/gallery_1530_1_135943.jpg

Though it is also the 24 hour visitor mooring and only one of the boats has been there since December.

That's me at the far end just managing to get the backend in to use the services.

Last time we were there, most of the space was taken by BW boats waiting for the winter stoppages. We just moored alongside rather than block the waterpoint.

Regards

Pete

I find that walking up and asking how long they recon they'll be, usually shifts them. If not, I moor alongside.

Alternatively, if I find myself blocking a lock landing or waterpoint, usually because I'm waiting for a coal delivery or such, I stay on the boat, and assist any boat that needs it.

Btw, if you think that Fradley is busy, or a nuisance, come and have a look in Bradford on Avon... A lock, a water point, a pump out, an elsan, a winding hole, and 12 hireboats. In one basin, the size of a hockeyfield... Ohh, I nearly forgot the Trust tripboat. A widebeam.

Pandemonium, especially on turnaround days, when the Sally Boats and Hilperton boats also come down.

Priceless entertainment.

OK fair enough, but why complain (or winge :)) on the forum? Do you feel better if people share your feelings and concern?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yes - I find it always helps to share.

I haven't whinged or complained at all by the way - merely expressed an opinion.

there is the Cd'ers. They move when it suits and continuously dump their boat where it feels best. I see 2 types as i go, some leave in the middle of no where and some 2 ft off the facilities, they dont come back for 3 or 4 weeks!!! A crininal 5 sometimes! 5!! honestly 5!!

I'm talking 5 real earth human weeks not those interstellar copies!!!

so they are staying 5 weeks!! humm how do you know? are you overstaying as well??

I know of quite a few boats who have moved very little, or not at all. I know this, because I travel up aand down this stretch on a weekly basis, some parts every couple of days. Some boats are out in the sticks, some are on visitor moorings. Some have legit reasons, and CART approval. Some don't. Some are taking the piss, royaly.

Nobody actually been up to them and said that they're famous? I'm sure you won't get grief for letting them know.

If we don't know that they know, we also don't know if they have been in touch with CRT. If they have and it's fine (for some reason), then there should be some official sign you have to place on the window, with relevant reference number for enquiries.

Try getting any kind of reply from CaRT when you do notify them of breaking down or similar. :rolleyes: