Water Pump Problem?

TheCrowsNest

Featured Posts

Firstly, I have to admit I have no clue about water pumps / water pressure / plumbing :help:

But I would really appreciate some pointers of what I should look for/do with the following problem..

Basically when I open the taps (or turn on the shower) it works for about 2-3minutes and then the water stops flowing and I can hear the water pump has turned off. When the water stops I close the taps (opening and closing does nothing) and usually within 5-15minutes I can hear the pump starting again and when I open the taps the water starts flowing again. On a side note, when I initially open the taps, the pressure is great and then it lessens after 1-2seconds but I imagine this is due to the initial pressure in the pipe?

Obviously this problem is very annoying when trying to shower :banghead:

I have located the water pump and accumulator. They are:

SHURflo 2095-343 Diaphragm Pump:

WP_20130322_006.jpg

SHURflo 101-203 Accumulator:

WP_20130322_002.jpg

I would really appreciate any advice / pointers of what I should look for, replace, clean etc?

I've also had this problem.

I found that a sharp not heavy knock with a stick of firewood seemed to kick the accumulator pump into action. I presume it was due to a worn part sticking. I also found the problem annoying when showering, but the solution was to turn the shower tap on, knock the pump into action and then it would stay on for as long as a tap was open.

Hi,I have a morris 1000 ,this has a petrol pump which used to stop and needed a thump,I took the top off and found a piece of brass ,u shape, they are refered to as points ,cleaned with emery paper they then worked for 2 years no trouble ,damp is often the cause,cheers,Brian

Yes it does sound a bit like pump motor trouble, bearings seizing or brushes worn or sticking perhaps.

I would go with this.However yer could try putting a little man,with a little hammer at the side of the pump and shout to him when you need some water. :rolleyes:

Edited by bowten

Thanks both for your quick responses!!

Any advice to find out if it is the accumulator or the pump?

Also would it be best for me to attempt to service clean the broken item or just replace it? :cheers:

If you feel competent enough to overhaul the pump, you can get to the motor spindle to check its resistance ect ect, it is not difficult especially if you have the instructions still which should have an exploded view of the pump.

Thanks both for your quick responses!!

Any advice to find out if it is the accumulator or the pump?

Also would it be best for me to attempt to service clean the broken item or just replace it? :cheers:

I would say the pump and I an guessing the little hole between the pump and the pressure is well bunged up so it responds very slowly.

I would say the pump and I an guessing the little hole between the pump and the pressure is well bunged up so it responds very slowly.

That was my initial thought as well, but 2 to 3 minutes showering, with 5 minute recovery time points to something more. (unless there's a HUGE accumulator :wub: )

Iain

Thanks everyone.

It went off again earlier and I gave both the pump and the accumulator a little thump - nothing.

Sure enough, 10minutes later I heard the pump going again, turned the taps on and it was working.

I will try taking them both apart tomorrow to see if there is anything obviously wrong. If I can't find anything and the problem persists, what do you think of me buying the following: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370641609275

Apparently this model doesn't require an accumulator so will take up less space and give me more storage space.

Thanks everyone.

It went off again earlier and I gave both the pump and the accumulator a little thump - nothing.

Sure enough, 10minutes later I heard the pump going again, turned the taps on and it was working.

When it cuts out try bypassing the pressure switch connections, if it kicks into life that's where the problem is.

If it IS the pressure switch it's either the bleed hole has blocked up with goo as mentioned, or the micro switch it uses has worn out, probably the first especially if there's no strainer or the strainer isn't fine enough or the water tank has gunge in it.

The pressure switch is held on the end by four screws with a central screw for pressure adjustment, there's a couple of screws to one side that'll help you get to the micro switch. Standard microswitches can be had from Ebay, Maplins or maybe scrap household appliances.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Ok, So I opened the water pump and cleaned the inside and installed it back up without the accumulator.

Turned the shower on and within 1-2mins.. off.

10 mins later the pump starts back up.

I have a feeling smpt is right. I'm going to order the new pump and fit it, for £90 I dont think its worth the effort to fix :banghead:

Ok, So I opened the water pump and cleaned the inside and installed it back up without the accumulator.

Turned the shower on and within 1-2mins.. off.

10 mins later the pump starts back up.

I have a feeling smpt is right. I'm going to order the new pump and fit it, for £90 I dont think its worth the effort to fix :banghead:

Did you try bypassing the pressure switch to confirm it was that - otherwise it could be a loose connection elsewhere and nothing to do with the pump. Also which bit did you take apart?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Did you try bypassing the pressure switch to confirm it was that - otherwise it could be a loose connection elsewhere and nothing to do with the pump. Also which bit did you take apart?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks.

I took apart the diaphragm bit and cleaned all the parts. I haven't tried bypassing the switch but I have removed that panel now so I can test it. I noticed the storage area where the pumps stay was a little rustyin parts so I decided to vactan and paint it while the pump was out. When that drys I'll hook it all back up and see if it is the pressure switch.

If not, the pump is quite old and the new pump I have ordered has a higher flowrate and should take up less room so probably worth the upgrade anyway. If I can fix the current pump this week though I can always sell it on eBay :)

Thanks.

I took apart the diaphragm bit and cleaned all the parts. I haven't tried bypassing the switch but I have removed that panel now so I can test it. I noticed the storage area where the pumps stay was a little rustyin parts so I decided to vactan and paint it while the pump was out. When that drys I'll hook it all back up and see if it is the pressure switch.

If not, the pump is quite old and the new pump I have ordered has a higher flowrate and should take up less room so probably worth the upgrade anyway. If I can fix the current pump this week though I can always sell it on eBay :)

As smileypete suggests the symptoms point to a pressure switch problem. The fact that the pump runs eventually and presumably provides good pressure when it does, suggests there isn't a problem with it specifically.

Many electric motors are not 'continuously rated', meaning they are not intended to be run continuously for more than a specified period, often 15 mins. Some will turn OFF after a period of use, I suspect they have an automatic overheat cutout in them. Maybe your motor is overheating too soon and being turned off by the safety device, or the safety device has lost it's calibration and turns OFF at too low a temperature.

MtB

Thanks.

I would say keep the accumulator and also keep the pump as a spare, You could well be in the middle of nowhere when the other fails.

I would say keep the accumulator and also keep the pump as a spare, You could well be in the middle of nowhere when the other fails.

Agreed on both counts.

The pumps that say theye don't need an accumulator, will sort-of work without one but you're much much better with one.

If possible, always have a serviceable spare, arranged so that the swap-over is as quick and easy as possible.