Boat Hire

samhol

Featured Posts

My thoughts; having taken a call last about a multiple injury incident on a hire boat, and knowing what the impact in terms of the immediate investigation and the potential longer term consequences may be; I would say a it takes a strong organisation with spot on processes and systems to survive such an incident and keep operating.

For example how would you deal with facing the potential idea that people on your boat have been injured, possibly in the long term, by something that may have gone wrong on your boat.

You may be aware that a different boating activty operator is facing corporate manslaughter charges in regard to a child dying when using his facilities. Whether the parties charged are guilty or not, you have to consider would you be strong enough to deal with such issues.

It is not a light decision to take. Putting aside any dealings with CRT or the BSS about the change of use, what cannot be escaped are the duties of care as a landlord, especially in regard to the 1998 Gas Act. Whether someone hiring their boat makes it official or not, the landlord's duties of care are not escapable and failing to live up these, carry potentially criminal prosecution impacts.

On the other hand people doing things well and not taking short-cuts have much less to be nervous about.

I hope this help crystallize your thoughts

Kind regards

He admitted the charges and was fine £130,000

My thoughts; having taken a call last about a multiple injury incident on a hire boat, and knowing what the impact in terms of the immediate investigation and the potential longer term consequences may be; I would say a it takes a strong organisation with spot on processes and systems to survive such an incident and keep operating.

For example how would you deal with facing the potential idea that people on your boat have been injured, possibly in the long term, by something that may have gone wrong on your boat.

You may be aware that a different boating activty operator is facing corporate manslaughter charges in regard to a child dying when using his facilities. Whether the parties charged are guilty or not, you have to consider would you be strong enough to deal with such issues.

It is not a light decision to take. Putting aside any dealings with CRT or the BSS about the change of use, what cannot be escaped are the duties of care as a landlord, especially in regard to the 1998 Gas Act. Whether someone hiring their boat makes it official or not, the landlord's duties of care are not escapable and failing to live up these, carry potentially criminal prosecution impacts.

On the other hand people doing things well and not taking short-cuts have much less to be nervous about.

I hope this help crystallize your thoughts

Kind regards

Rob - when was the last time someone was seriously injured as a result of equipment failure aboard a UK inland hire boat?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

MMmmm, very interesting thread, this is exactly what I am planning to do and this will be our first purchase primarily intended to rent out.

I am looking at buying a 45 ft boat 3 yrs old so in pretty good condition and getting the relevant licences for holiday hire. Insurance seems ok at £350 fully comp with Mercia, mooring reasonable at £1800 , "hire/business" licence £1665. Additional costs put aside for maintenance each month and general ancillary like shower gel/loo rolls, coal etc and I estimate covering the fees each year should be easy and walk away with a few pound profit for the year.

We won't retire on the income but with the right boat, the right attention to detail and the right marketing we should be able to use the boat ourselves for the odd jolly and be happy with our investment.

Thought I would throw out some positivity ( or naivety ) in a somewhat negative probably realistic thread lol

I think I will post after one year and tell the truth on how it went. It will be interesting to say the least :)

Edited by tutter2

MMmmm, very interesting thread, this is exactly what I am planning to do and this will be our first purchase primarily intended to rent out.

I am looking at buying a 45 ft boat 3 yrs old so in pretty good condition and getting the relevant licences for holiday hire. Insurance seems ok at £350 fully comp with Mercia, mooring reasonable at £1800 , "hire/business" licence £1665. Additional costs put aside for maintenance each month and general ancillary like shower gel/loo rolls, coal etc and I estimate covering the fees each year should be easy and walk away with a few pound profit for the year.

We won't retire on the income but with the right boat, the right attention to detail and the right marketing we should be able to use the boat ourselves for the odd jolly and be happy with our investment.

Thought I would throw out some positivity ( or naivety ) in a somewhat negative probably realistic thread lol

I think I will post after one year and tell the truth on how it went. It will be interesting to say the least :)

If you are going to do it correctly there won't be a problem.

Good luck.

Before you buy the boat ensure that it complies with the BSS requirements of a hire boat (very different to a BSS for a leisure boat) Example - any hull fittings must be 10" + above the water line, the Weed Hatch must be 10" above the water line, etc etc.

Leisure boats have an 'advisory' only, that they should be 6" above the water line - a boat built to leisure specifications will fail the commercial BSS

If having a surveyor ensure you tell him that it will be a hire boat and to view accordingly.

Before you buy the boat ensure that it complies with the BSS requirements of a hire boat (very different to a BSS for a leisure boat) Example - any hull fittings must be 10" + above the water line, the Weed Hatch must be 10" above the water line, etc etc.

Leisure boats have an 'advisory' only, that they should be 6" above the water line - a boat built to leisure specifications will fail the commercial BSS

If having a surveyor ensure you tell him that it will be a hire boat and to view accordingly.

Thanks for advice , I believe the boat had a hire certificate issued 2 years ago which has now lapsed and the local manager for cart has already indicated a reissue would be favourable so boat should already be "legal" regarding build.

It's a steep learning curve but fun :)

• 1 month later...