Amazing what you find on the towpath!

Chop!

Featured Posts

I used to go past your boats all the time when they looked almost abandoned in the Chursh Minshull area.

Great to see your giving them a new lease of life.

Best wishes.

Glenda asked me, just after my foot went crashing through well deck on Christina, "Don't you ever feel that maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew?"

Of course my answer was "No!!!" :help:

I used to go past your boats all the time when they looked almost abandoned in the Chursh Minshull area.

Great to see your giving them a new lease of life.

Best wishes.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi DDa pawb! (Happy Saint Dai's Day everyone!) wales-1627.gifwales-1627.gifwales-1627.gif

Glenda asked me, just after my foot went crashing through well deck on Christina, "Don't you ever feel that maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew?"

Of course my answer was "No!!!" :help:

While cycling around to Gas Street Basin for a few sherbets I came upon Roy of NB The Crusty Crow, he shouted "Wanna buy an engine mate?"

The+Crusty+Crow.jpg

Had a good old chinwag. He suggested I try the newly re-opened Craven Arms.......Blog post here

Is that what is meant when people often comment on here "setting up camp on the towpath"? :P

Are you at it again? making judgemental assumptions about people?

in the picture I can see two chairs probably moved out of the way to get access to the engine bay, an engine (on it's way in, out?) and a bike.

so the answer to your question is no.

this is camping on the towpath;

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

And i think it's outrageous (in this instance)

Edited to add;

Mr Junior; as a particularly stupid man has failed to understand my post and I have no wish to offend you, here is my post again with annotations.

Are you at it again? making judgemental assumptions about people? [this is a humorous allusion to your post on another thread and an appreciation of your apology ]

in the picture I can see two chairs probably moved out of the way to get access to the engine bay, an engine (on it's way in, out?) and a bike.

so the answer to your question is no. [again, light hearted]

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

And i think it's outrageous (in this instance) [an intended humorous reference to the fact I seem to remember you said you were in the armed forces]

I am sure you would have recognised these light hearted comments for what they are but they illustrate nicely my preference for language instead of emoticons and I have no wish to offend you.

Unlike the stupid little man who has turned this thread into a quarrel, to him I have every intention of being offensive.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 2

Junior's post was followed by a smiley, this one :P I think it was an example of irony.

Your post seemed a little abrasive and a very good example of a point I made on the forum recently. The forum elders may say what they please, but unless you are one of the chosen any attempt at comedy will be met with hostility.

• Greenie 3

You are quite right Chris, Roy had to change his engine for another BMC, the one pictured is the knackered one he'd just removed, the folding bike is mine.

Edited by Chop!

I don't do smileys so I am sorry but you'll have to engage your brain to find the light hearted side of my posts.

I am also of the opinion that if I called you an prat and then put a smiley after it it would not remove the offensive nature of the words.

Junior's post was followed by a smiley, this one :P I think it was an example of irony.

Your post seemed a little abrasive and a very good example of a point I made on the forum recently. The forum elders may say what they please, but unless you are one of the chosen any attempt at comedy will be met with hostility.

I don't do smileys so I am sorry but you'll have to engage your brain to find the light hearted side of my posts.

I am also of the opinion that if I called you an prat and then put a smiley after it it would not remove the offensive nature of the words.

Perhaps someone on here could show you how to "do" smileys. I find your comment about my engaging my brain offensive but as it is you I will not be too upset as I know that you do not know any better.

Your second sentence does much to support my post. Thank you.

Perhaps someone on here could show you how to "do" smileys. I find your comment about my engaging my brain offensive but as it is you I will not be too upset as I know that you do not know any better.

Your second sentence does much to support my post. Thank you.

Oh I can do smileys, i just think they are lazy and far more ambiguous than the proper use of language.

prat :P

I find your use of cliché offensive but then I know you know no better way of expressing yourself.

Edited by Chris Pink

Oh I can do smileys, i just think they are lazy and far more ambiguous than the proper use of language.

prat :P

Your continuing support is most welcome.

Edited to query the use of the word cliché.

Edited by Rich

The forum elders may say what they please, but unless you are one of the chosen any attempt at comedy will be met with hostility.

It always perplexes me as to why some people use inferior technology to others.

My keyboard allows me to type any words I please and nobody is able to remove those words apart from the moderators (if they feel that I have infringed the forum rules) and I have had this keyboard since I was a newcomer on the forums.

I've been around a long time and have a lot of posts so I assume that makes me a "forum elder" but that doesn't make me immune from hostile posts (in fact I sometimes think I get more than my fair share) but that will never stop me from posting my opinion.

Anyone can post what they please from newbies to "forum elders" and everyone will be met with hostility, at some stage.

• Greenie 2

carefull boys...........lady Muck is on the prowl.................... :unsure:

Tim

I had noticed. I find it somewhat odd that a while back when I referred to a forum member as obnoxious there was a flurry of posts decrying my use of the word and the post was eventually stopped, or whatever.

I have seen far more offensive words used, one such as above (other examples exist), without much more than a mild comment. There does seem to be an element of double standards.

It always perplexes me as to why some people use inferior technology to others.

Inferior technology?

There does seem to be an element of double standards.

Not really.

This is a very busy forum and the mods are volunteers with a pretty thankless job.

They can't possibly read every post so rely on people reporting transgressions.

I've been called far worse than "obnoxious" but hardly ever report it so the post will stand until someone more easily offended spots it.

If somebody reported you for calling someone obnoxious a mod may have removed it to prevent any escalation.

If it was me I can confirm that I can be pretty obnoxious at times so wouldn't have taken offence at all.

Inferior technology?

A keyboard that prevents you from saying what you please.

Edited by carlt

Not really.

This is a very busy forum and the mods are volunteers with a pretty thankless job.

They can't possibly read every post so rely on people reporting transgressions.

I wasn't referring to the mods. It other posters that took exception to my use of the word. The thing became increasingly acrimonious and then a moderator stepped in.

A keyboard that prevents you from saying what you please.

I feel that my keyboard allows me to type in whatever I choose. However, it is generally accepted by many, possibly most, net forum users that if they type something provocative a suitable smiley gives the message another meaning. I think it a little sad that poor Mr. Pink does not understand the principle behind this. An example is the post which prompted this spate of later postings.

I feel that my keyboard allows me to type in whatever I choose.

Why the comment about "the forum elders" then?

As I said, this "forum elder" receives more hostility than many (abusive and threatening posts, pms and emails so far) so surely the difference is how you deal with a bit of hostility, not the fact that it happens.

However, it is generally accepted by many, possibly most, net forum users that if they type something provocative a suitable smiley gives the message another meaning. I think it a little sad that poor Mr. Pink does not understand the principle behind this. An example is the post which prompted this spate of later postings.

I'm afraid that I too am of the opinion that smilies are a lazy form of communication and have just as many misinterpretations as real writing ( :rolleyes: , for example would appear to be a particularly condescending expression to me yet others see it as harmless).

I use smilies when I can't be bothered with intelligent articulation (we're all lazy sometimes) but refuse to change my style to accommodate those who can't be bothered with intelligent interpretation.

You persist in posting stupid and ignorant things, showing a complete lack of understanding of basic English, presumably in some attempt to pick a fight with with me.

I am not sure of your motivation but I refuse to lower my use of language to a level you can cope with.

Perhaps if you found a more educated person to explain the longer words and more difficult concepts you would find it possible to understand what I have written.

I feel that my keyboard allows me to type in whatever I choose. However, it is generally accepted by many, possibly most, net forum users that if they type something provocative a suitable smiley gives the message another meaning. I think it a little sad that poor Mr. Pink does not understand the principle behind this. An example is the post which prompted this spate of later postings.

Why the comment about "the forum elders" then?

As I said, this "forum elder" receives more hostility than many (abusive and threatening posts, pms and emails so far) so surely the difference is how you deal with a bit of hostility, not the fact that it happens.

I'm afraid that I too am of the opinion that smilies are a lazy form of communication and have just as many misinterpretations as real writing ( :rolleyes: , for example would appear to be a particularly condescending expression to me yet others see it as harmless).

I use smilies when I can't be bothered with intelligent articulation (we're all lazy sometimes) but refuse to change my style to accommodate those who can't be bothered with intelligent interpretation.

You persist in posting stupid and ignorant things, showing a complete lack of understanding of basic English, presumably in some attempt to pick a fight with with me.

I am not sure of your motivation but I refuse to lower my use of language to a level you can cope with.

Perhaps if you found a more educated person to explain the longer words and more difficult concepts you would find it possible to understand what I have written.

:rolleyes: and probably :blink:

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

Edited to add;

Mr Junior; as a particularly stupid man has failed to understand my post and I have no wish to offend you, here is my post again with annotations.

Are you at it again? making judgemental assumptions about people? [this is a humorous allusion to your post on another thread and an appreciation of your apology ]

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

I see in the picture, two chairs under the workman's bivvy, they have set up so they can have a cupper out of the elements, they are beavering away under the orange bit, no doubt carrying out essential tow path maintenance.

Due to health and safety they have placed the barrier but in the spirit of communication have put a works notice to appologies for any inconvenience.

Having said all that, the speed that some people work, it could be classed as camping!

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

Edited to add;

TowpathBlockAnon.jpg

And i think it's outrageous (in this instance) [an intended humorous reference to the fact I seem to remember you said you were in the armed forces]

I am sure you would have recognised these light hearted comments for what they are but they illustrate nicely my preference for language instead of emoticons and I have no wish to offend you.

Unlike the stupid little man who has turned this thread into a quarrel, to him I have every intention of being offensive.

Blimey. Erm, i'll have to admit you have lost me.

Whatever way you took it, i can confirm that the original comment was meant as humour and said firmly with tounge in cheek. I thought that adding the 'tounge in cheek' smiley was the done way of showing someone your written word was mean tounge in cheek.

I see in the picture, two chairs under the workman's bivvy, they have set up so they can have a cupper out of the elements, they are beavering away under the orange bit, no doubt carrying out essential tow path maintenance.

Due to health and safety they have placed the barrier but in the spirit of communication have put a works notice to appologies for any inconvenience.

Having said all that, the speed that some people work, it could be classed as camping!

The picture shows the towpath closed for "security reasons" and guarded by the army (so the locals say) to restrict access during the olympics. It's now reopened. Doesn't look too military to me so I guess it was some form of olympic security men in quasi miliyary get up.