BBC2 YESTERDAY LANCASTER CANAL

swift1894

Featured Posts

Thanks for that.

Bit disappointing I thought - they could have devoted a whole program to the 'Lancky'

Does anybody know upon which bit they were cruising? it looks like they came to a blanked off section but it wasn't Tewitfield which is now a basin with boats moored in it and where the canal meets and is cut off by the M6/A6076

Tewitfield_zps33b895ce.jpg

Is there a bit further north 'in water' and still navigable? as I understood it was dry and/or none navigable all the way to Kendal.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks for that.

Bit disappointing I thought - they could have devoted a whole program to the 'Lancky'

Does anybody know upon which bit they were cruising? it looks like they came to a blanked off section but it wasn't Tewitfield which is now a basin with boats moored in it and where the canal meets and is cut off by the M6/A6076

Tewitfield_zps33b895ce.jpg

Is there a bit further north 'in water' and still navigable? as I understood it was dry and/or none navigable all the way to Kendal.

It was the bit of canal at Crooklands where Waterwich operates. We attended an IWA trail boat rally there several years ago and launched the boats at a temporary slip near the M6.

haggis

Yes some is navigable if you could get to it

Interesting - I guess the volunteers must have a boat on the navigable section -

ah cross post with Haggis - cheers.

I spy a moored boat!!

Crooklands_zpscbdbfb49.jpg

I honestly hadn't appreciated any of it was still navigable - the M6 makes a right obstacle I see just further south from there.... :(

This must the slipway too I guess...

Slipway_zps43f2f323.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

"quote name='The Dog House' timestamp='1362052022' post='1034849']

Interesting - I guess the volunteers must have a boat on the navigable section -

ah cross post with Haggis - cheers.

I spy a moored boat!!

Crooklands_zpscbdbfb49.jpg

I honestly hadn't appreciated any of it was still navigable - the M6 makes a right obstacle I see just further south from there.... :(

This must the slipway too I guess...

Slipway_zps43f2f323.jpg

Yes, Martin that is WaterWich moored beside Crooklands which is a big sort of park where lots of events are held throughout the year.

I am surprisd that the slip is still visible as it was built specially for the event we went to (but wasn't built to a standrd suitable for Sea Otters) and we were told that it was going to filled in after the event to prevent it being used. I think that at that time there may have been concerns from local householders that they would have boats tying up outside their gardens and as it was important that all local support was kept on the side of reopening the upper reaches, the decision was taken to fill the slip in afterwards.

We didn't take gamebird to the event but we took our canal society trip boat, Roseann. We all stayed in caravans and had a great time!

When we are going up and down the M6 we look out for all the places where it cuts across the Lancaster and you get a really good view of the locks at Tewitfield as they are alongside the road.

haggis

Hi There.

Just to add after the trailboat festival there was a change of heart and the slipway was left in,I have used it each year to launch "Helterskelter" for a trip up there when i have been helping out on "Waterwitch" for a Bank Holiday weekend etc, I figured if someone was using it more likely it would be kept. Also since the programme was made the trust and WRG have been digging out from Stainton where the water ended, to the next bridge and hope to extend further in the future, The main aim is to get the canal back to Kendal which would be great.

Yes some is navigable if you could get to it

Brilliant John thank you

The second mini film of the Lancaster really shows off the beauty of the area and it would be fantastic to see it restored throughout its full length.

The film of the kingfisher is amazing, knowing the subject matter, had you glued it's feet to the perch!

David