Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, James Owen said:

Having spent countless hours working a push tug which had an OM636 as it's soul, I'd have to say they are less than pleasing to listen to (comparable to a three pot H-series☺) but undeniably a good, reliable beast and easy to work on too!!

That's surely the main reason why there are still so many around, I'm in no rush to replace the one I have in a small Tjalk (9m50) I have, as it's still running like a brand new one.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mark99 said:

"Brilliant live aboard"?

That's the last fate this boat deserves! Its a historic built tug not a floating doss house, if my health was better or getting better it would be on my reserved mooring by now. The boat needs an owner with the ability to look after it in the proper way and keep it as original as possible. Wooden boats can seem scary but if maintained well are little more trouble then steel or iron.

:) ..took you guys a few days to find the advert :) 

My family are getting the boating bug which is great news and Im very happy about that, but they feel she is a little small for 3 large kids, dogs and adults :) lol so I lost the family vote and she is being offered for sale to help fund a bigger boat ...

.....although Im preeeety sure no one will buy her :) and I wont loose any sleep over that :) as she is lovely.. :) 

This forum has a reputation for some sharp comments on occasion so play nice guys :) 

1 hour ago, Laurence Hogg said:

That's the last fate this boat deserves! Its a historic built tug not a floating doss house, if my health was better or getting better it would be on my reserved mooring by now. The boat needs an owner with the ability to look after it in the proper way and keep it as original as possible. Wooden boats can seem scary but if maintained well are little more trouble then steel or iron.

I figured you would be the first Laurence :) ...actually wooden boats respond very well to being live don where they can be aired and kept warm and fussed over - it is the lack of those things which causes them issues.. :) 

• Greenie 2

Good reply, Mr Gate! I think that liveaboard = floating doss house is an overly harsh judgement - perhaps owners of other floating doss houses  liveaboard craft would care to comment?

It might be a little harsh, but unfortunately is what many elderly craft have become over the years. It seems to affect wooden historic craft more than metal ones for some reason.

A liveaboard (or anyone else) can only hold back nature if the pockets are deep enough and supplemented by the right skills. Perhaps because of the lower  initial cost of a wooden boat they do not always go to those with deep enough pockets.

Carlt and Laurence both have expressed the view that wooden boats should be no worse than metal ones maintenance wise but there are fewer places where deep maintenance is pracatical and though the skills may be more amenable to DIY there is a  good deal of underlying knowledge which is harder to find.

All that said Progress is a lovely looking boat. I hope she finds a  sympathetic and capable future owner.

N

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

If i hadnt got towy i would love a tug but unless i get told its boat or divorse ill never be aloud another boat now.

:)  :)  :) ....I skirted very close to that with purchasing Progress :  the first time my wife realised it was 'ours' was while on what she thought was a day trip to meet old friends from the canal and the then owners wife congratulated her for buying the boat - it was only her desire to be polite and that we were a fair way from the bank that saved me ! :) 

...its worked out for me as shes enjoyed our boating - just wants a bigger boat now :) 

Edited by rivergate

A Cracking boat Grommit! 

I was walking the dog around Hillmorton day before yesterday and paused to give her a couple of slices of admiration .... until the thumping great wolves a bit further down the bank made it quite clear they'd decided I was a miscreant a ne'er do well.

About nine years ago while Trevor was surveying my current boat he talked non stop about "Progress", now I know why.  Sure is a lot of boat for the money.  Should I be braver about vegetable boats I could be seriously misled here.

I'm easily misled me.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

A Cracking boat Grommit! 

I was walking the dog around Hillmorton day before yesterday and paused to give her a couple of slices of admiration .... until the thumping great wolves a bit further down the bank made it quite clear they'd decided I was a miscreant a ne'er do well.

About nine years ago while Trevor was surveying my current boat he talked non stop about "Progress", now I know why.  Sure is a lot of boat for the money.  Should I be braver about vegetable boats I could be seriously misled here.

I'm easily misled me.

:)  :) ....life is too precious a thing to be wasted being 'sensible' :):) ..it is for living :):) 

You sound like a man who doesn't need a different boat but simply a butty to go with your lovely tug. A lovely family boat to tow along with benefits of exercising children and dogs and acres of space. Do the world a favour buy a butty. The familial complaints can easily be managed by dropping the cross straps and distancing yourself from disharmony with a nice long 90 ft long line....

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, junior said:

I don't know if it's the camera angles, but something doesn't look right with the stern/back cabin.

And previously discussed a few months ago within this very thread, but I can not tell you the post number as they have been deleted :captain:

Not only the back cabin, which does look very "flat" - but although the front cabin extension must give welcome extra Lebensraum, it does nothing for the boat's aesthetic appeal.

22 hours ago, Derek R. said:

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/fern

FMC were absorbed through Nationalisation in 1948.

I am afraid this is not strictly true, although the boats of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Limited were absorbed through Nationalisation on 01 January 1948.

Fellows, Morton and Clayton Limited went into voluntary liquidation in November 1948, with its remaining assets being sold to 'British Waterways' on 01 January 1949. Clearly from this point on these boats did operate as a part of the Nationalised fleet :captain: