Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Does Chris Pink still have an interest in it, or has it at some stage before now changed hands?

Dunno. I'm delighted never to have met him. 

For those who never read his less pleasant posts, they make Tony Dunkley's posts seem like a model of courtesy and good manners. 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Sadly I agree, shades of Dover I feel.

Except Dover was done on a 'money no object' basis ISTR. 

BBC money paid for the Dover 'restoration', wasn't it? 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Dunno. I'm delighted never to have met him. 

For those who never read his less pleasant posts, they make Tony Dunkley's posts seem like a model of courtesy and good manners. 

Yet he is quite pleasant in other places on line

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Except Dover was done on a 'money no object' basis ISTR. 

BBC money paid for the Dover 'restoration', wasn't it? 

You're right.

However I was thinking from the point of view of "Let's pretend it still looks like a working boat"  

When in fact if you get closer than 100' you'll see all the obvious mistakes like ...

top plank too wide to give head room 

pretend sheets

doors in sheets

chimneys emanating where they shouldn't etc etc.

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

You're right.

However I was thinking from the point of view of "Let's pretend it still looks like a working boat"  

When in fact if you get closer than 100' you'll see all the obvious mistakes like ...

top plank too wide to give head room 

pretend sheets

doors in sheets

chimneys emanating where they shouldn't etc etc.

Ah yes I see whatyou mean. 

Also, sheets up implying a load to protect from the elements, but floating high in the water as if unloaded.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are bigger bubbles heavier ?

No but 1 ton of large bubble wrap will be bigger then 1 ton of small bubble wrap so you would fit more of the small bubble wrap into the hold of the boat.

• Greenie 1

I saw her today. She was going past as I was walking to our offside mooring in Chorley. First thing I thought was, bloody he'll that's wide. Second was, wide but old. Would definitely struggle to get past some akward points where other wideboats have moored 8n the past  

The bridge just after our moorings is very skew and I did wonder how they would cope but they did. They seemed to know what they were doing and took it all slowly and steadily. 

It's a "short boat" 60-62ft. Given the width there's not much wriggle room in the locks.

I'm really pleased I didn't get there 5 minutes later and miss her.

11 hours ago, Ianws said:

I saw her today. She was going past as I was walking to our offside mooring in Chorley. First thing I thought was, bloody he'll that's wide. Second was, wide but old. Would definitely struggle to get past some akward points where other wideboats have moored 8n the past  

The bridge just after our moorings is very skew and I did wonder how they would cope but they did. They seemed to know what they were doing and took it all slowly and steadily. 

It's a "short boat" 60-62ft. Given the width there's not much wriggle room in the locks.

I'm really pleased I didn't get there 5 minutes later and miss her.

It could be 57ft 6in long as it was an A&CN short boat, rather than a L&LC short boat. That said, I don't know if the A&CN had boats specifically for the Bradford Canal trade.

Having checked in the A&CN boat records I have, the following are the iron boats which they kept post 1921.

A&CN iron fly boats on company’s books after 1921

1, short, built 1876, coal boat

5, long, built 1879

8, long, built 1877

10, long, built 1877

11, long, built 1877

12, long, built 1877

13, long, built 1878

14, long, built 1879

20, long, built 1877

21, short, built?, coal boat

27, short, built 1869, June

32, long, built 1871

59, barge, built 1875

60, barge, built 1875

61, barge, built 1875

62, barge, built 1875

68, short, built 1876, Pauline

73, long, built 1876

81, barge, built 1877

85, short, built 1878, Fair Maiden

94, long, built 1879

95, long, built 1879

96, long, built 1879

97, long, built 1879

99, long, built 1879, lengthened 1913, Water Wanderer

Edited by Pluto
Fair Maiden was 85, not 81

Its a nice Boat. I wish them all the very best embarking on such a vessel with a small child in tow. 

Great fun. One hopes the entrance and exit from the cabin is sensibly arranged. 

I do hate seeing children on leads!

Both of my daughters lived on a barge from before they could walk until a couple of yars ago (now 12 and 14). We never used leads. 

I suppose its a bit of a personal thing and never criticise other peoples parenting !

If that is tiller steered it must be a bit of an adventure getting around. A good workout. 

Hopefully not a Boat bought with the cheap housing solution as a motivator ! 

CRT about to tighten up their enforcement I think. 

A bit dangerous to walk about on the back with the cabin there !  I can't see a ram on it. 

Edited by magnetman

29 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its a nice Boat. I wish them all the very best embarking on such a vessel with a small child in tow. 

Great fun. One hopes the entrance and exit from the cabin is sensibly arranged. 

I do hate seeing children on leads!

Both of my daughters lived on a barge from before they could walk until a couple of yars ago (now 12 and 14). We never used leads. 

I suppose its a bit of a personal thing and never criticise other peoples parenting !

If that is tiller steered it must be a bit of an adventure getting around. A good workout. 

Hopefully not a Boat bought with the cheap housing solution as a motivator ! 

CRT about to tighten up their enforcement I think. 

A bit dangerous to walk about on the back with the cabin there !  I can't see a ram on it. 

Theres a huge sliding hatch giving access to very wide stairs, which leads down into the galley.

The new owner has owned I think 5 boats previously, more recent ones being wide and is currently in the process of selling the latest one to replace with Pauline, who freely admitted he's been wanting Pauline for the past 10 years and is the 6th and final boat as he has got to where he wants to be now.

I'm not sure you can see it in any of the pictures but the blue steel rail on the main cabin top slides into place for safety on top of the back cabin, and it's the same rail which was used when they crossed the lumpy stuff to Europe.

The owner isn't new to boats, that's his job as well as hobby. Pauline is currently on her to way Harkers yard for any required work to be carried out 🙂

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Liam said:

The new owner has owned I think 5 boats previously, more recent ones being wide and is currently in the process of selling the latest one to replace with Pauline, who freely admitted he's been wanting Pauline for the past 10 years and is the 6th and final boat as he has got to where he wants to be now.

The owner isn't new to boats, that's his job as well as hobby. Pauline is currently on her to way Harkers yard for any required work to be carried out 🙂

Glad to see Pauline appears to have gone to someone who knows what they are taking on, and knows that's what they want. I must admit, if my career had ended up with me needing a base in the NW or Yorkshire I would have been sorely tempted, but it looks like I am stuck where I am geographically.

Alec

• Greenie 1