Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, IanM said:

I believe Denebola has wooden bottoms still and is unconverted.

The person who has posted before you will certainly be able to confirm that(!)  I'm guessing Alcor is one of the converted ones - would need to think about another.....

Archie57 has covered the small Woolwich boats.

I'm uncertain about the Northwich ones, but Sculptor certainly, and from the advert it would appear Bellatrix also.  Do any others of those with "trust" or CRT connections still retain them, or is it only Sculptor?

21 minutes ago, IanM said:

So that's two more than archie57 says there is :P

I doubt he will be proved wrong!  He specifically only mentions Woowich boats, and Denebola will definitely be in his count.

Edited by alan_fincher

For some reason I thought Bellatrix was a Woolwich, my mistake.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The person who has posted before you will certainly be able to confirm that(!) 

Why's that then?

Didnt Princess Anne have new wooden bottoms fitted recently (last couple of years)? ex Plato.

No but she had some recaulking work done at sheet stores late last year. Still wooden bottoms.

Edited by AMModels

14 minutes ago, IanM said:

For some reason I thought Bellatrix was a Woolwich, my mistake.

I'm now wondering what Bellatrix's history can have been.

The George and the Mary, (not an infallible source though!) says it was never health registered, and was sold off by the GUCCCo as early as 1942

Edited by alan_fincher

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm now wondering what Bellatrix's historyc an have been.

The George and the Mary, (not an infallible source though!) says it was never heath registered, and was sold off by the GUCCCo as early as 1942

Sold to the Wulfruna Coal Co., Wolverhampton, circa. 1939 / 40, and gauged for BCN by them. In 1966 was run as a trip boat at Kinver by Midland Navigation. By Sep 1990 restored to carrying condition.

She was based at Greensforge on the S&W and was always very very smart, very much original imo.

10 minutes ago, AMModels said:

She was based at Greensforge on the S&W and was always very very smart, very much original imo

Yes, I definitely recall admiring her each time we have passed.

I need to remind myself I already have a "Large" and a "Middle" Northwich, and whilst a "Small" to complete the collection would be lovely, it ain't really practical!

From 2011 (Was it really that long ago?)

IMG_0257.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I need to remind myself I already have a "Large" and a "Middle" Northwich, and whilst a "Small" to complete the collection would be lovely, it ain't really practical!

Im sure you could find crew to help out without a problem.... you know you want to. :D 

50 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Sold to the Wulfruna Coal Co., Wolverhampton, circa. 1939 / 40, and gauged for BCN by them. In 1966 was run as a trip boat at Kinver by Midland Navigation. By Sep 1990 restored to carrying condition.

She was based at Greensforge on the S&W and was always very very smart, very much original imo.

Fortunately BELLATRIX has a very traceable history, and is rare (but not unique) in having only three owners since it was built. I can supply specific dates for transfer of ownership, gaugings e.t.c., and as usual I will pass these on to the next owner upon their request.

Last week I bought a fairly expensive car so although BELLATRIX would have been a boat I would offer on it will not be on this occasion :captain: 

2 hours ago, AMModels said:

Didnt Princess Anne have new wooden bottoms fitted recently (last couple of years)? ex Plato.

No but she had some recaulking work done at sheet stores late last year. Still wooden bottoms.

Yes, you're right - (this is what comes of sticking my head above the parapet!)   It struck me also that afaik the "Venus" is still around - does that qualify as a Little Woolwich? (not composite though)

Just now, archie57 said:

Yes, you're right - (this is what comes of sticking my head above the parapet!)   It struck me also that afaik the "Venus" is still around - does that qualify as a Little Woolwich? (not composite though)

hehe its one of the perils of daring to speak out, I know Ive been shot down enough times in the past ;) 

I think Venus qualifies as she does indeed have wooden bottoms...and everything else :D 

Interesting comment that 50000 is strong for a boat too wide to go everywhere, given that people pay over 100000 for a  new fat boat that can't go anywhere and will depreciate faster than a full elsan. All small woolwich boats have width issues, I recal a certain motor having the guards removed to get off the Llangollen.

On 27/05/2017 at 13:06, carlt said:

Historic as far as I'm concerned but not in the eyes of others.

There always seems to be a flurry of Taylors of Chester beauties come up whenever I haven't got the dosh to hand:

Ivy May

ivy-may_f_5_895_1.jpg.7b9a7d7dc3a628fa342902d3919dfede.jpg

Lady Avon

59296b860a2e5_LadyAvonatWhiteleyGreenMacclesfieldCanal_900.jpg.bbc17496a46fd933a0b21884a20e1add.jpg

The second one is very much like the boats mum and dad used to hire in the seventies when I was preoccupied on big grey ships with guns and stuff.

They would have names like Gay Monica etc. Perhaps this lady was 'Gay' once.

On 27/05/2017 at 13:06, carlt said:

Historic as far as I'm concerned but not in the eyes of others.

There always seems to be a flurry of Taylors of Chester beauties come up whenever I haven't got the dosh to hand:

Ivy May

ivy-may_f_5_895_1.jpg.7b9a7d7dc3a628fa342902d3919dfede.jpg

Lady Avon

59296b860a2e5_LadyAvonatWhiteleyGreenMacclesfieldCanal_900.jpg.bbc17496a46fd933a0b21884a20e1add.jpg

That image of Lady Avon has triggered a memory. I vaguely recall going on a boating holiday in the very early 60's with my grandparents, on the rivers Cam and Great Ouse on a boat like that. Must have been about 6 at the time :).

There is yet another Taylors of Chester boat (I think) for sale on the K&A in the Hungerford to Devizes area.

It looks to my eye exactly like the Lady Avon but is only about 28ft. Price is £30k according to the adverts displayed in the windows. I should have taken some photos as I've encountered it several times. Not seen it for a few weeks now though.

>They would have names like Gay Monica etc.

Could that be Barbara Joan and Lindy Helen? If so, I spent the summer Saturdays of my youth working for the man who hired them out - the very best job I ever had! Memory of descending Tyrley Locks on an October midnight with Barbara Joan as part of a weekend ferry trip from Wheaton Aston to Llangollen... Wonderful.

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

ROE has been for sale on Apollo Duck for a week or so, and as nobody has mentioned it yet here it is:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=521049

:captain:

And of course nobody who might spend £100K on it wants to know what the outside of it looks like!.......

On 2017-6-21 at 11:32, alan_fincher said:

From 2011 (Was it really that long ago?)

IMG_0257.JPG

Looking much the same yesterday as we came past.

20170703_120647.jpg.73d604296a2f98345405e0f82c7aa52e.jpg

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

And of course nobody who might spend £100K on it wants to know what the outside of it looks like!.......

There are a couple of pictures on the HNBC site http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/roe   

I see there are more pictures now on ApolloDuck.  

I jumped the gun a bit when criticising the lack of photos.

I still think it's a bit pricey.

Edited by koukouvagia

Not a lot of boat for the money I feel.  A butchered butty from the ugliest period of working boats with a surfeit of light paint and tiles.

All that and an engine better suited to propelling single decker buses and medium sized trucks at grand velocity.