Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Cantley, a Town Class Woolwich with mooring at Rickmansworth.

Apologies if this has been noted before.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=475720

Yes, they have been putting an ad up for this boat on and off for a while.

I think that astronomic price is probably now lower than it started.

I wonder what security of tenure you have on those (presumably private?) moorings.

Clearly that is what much of the pricing is about.

(Incidentally, I think the boat was on that same mooring in the early 1970s).

On 13/06/2017 at 10:40, IanM said:

Pity it is for sale with the mooring, I'd quite like that.

I'm curious to know how one can sell a rented mooring. 

It says the mooring is "transferrable", but this is almost certainly only possible with the landlord's approval which may not be guaranteed to be forthcoming. 

On 14/06/2017 at 15:35, Cloudinspector said:

Note - Capella is spread so is limited to wide canals.

That's one hell of a limitation for a boat with a £50K price tag!

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

That's one hell of a limitation for a boat with a £50K price tag!

If I were interested in this boat I'd want to know whether it has a steel bottom; whether the main cabin is wood or steel and whether there are any steel A frames to prevent the boat spreading further.

Gun-wales or gun-nels, a prop for the ships guns.

The Harmers did much work on CAPELLA during the eighties. A full survey would reveal how the vessel is now. And no, there are no gunnels, CAPELLA having been a butty all its life. [ETA: I suppose that's not strictly true, as when 'with cloths', the gunnels could have been walked along.]

Edited by Derek R.

The term 'long boat' is used in regard to L&LC craft to differentiate them from the 'short boats' which could work over the summit. The A&CN made the same differentiation between boats that could, or couldn't, work onto the C&HN. The advert seems to have been written by a southerner, a group which has devastated the north economically, just as the Vikings did when they came over in their longboats centuries ago.

Lovely though it is as a houseboat, there's probably more usability if it stays in the South.

In the North West, Wigan to Liverpool wouldn't stay magical forever, and the Bridgewater isn't magical to begin with.

In the North East, there is a friendly community of boaters on the Aire and Calder, but then what? Adventures on the Ouse or the Trent?

If I worked in London, I'd snap your hand off for a comfortable 3-bedroomed flat at that price! And for it to be a glorious old boat as well!

• Greenie 3

On 17/06/2017 at 14:42, koukouvagia said:

Bellatrix is for sale (£50K) according to the latest edition of the HNBC magazine.  Apologies if it's been advertised before.

Interestingly it reads as if it still has wooden bottoms.  I can't think of too many unconverted "small" GUCCCo motor boats that still applies to.