Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm not sure you can blame the brokerage if someone who owns a historic and wishes to sell it provides a detailed but incorrect history. Especially when Pete has given them lots of correct details.

I don't think your personal attack is warranted either Mark, out of character for you - will delete this if you amend.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I'm not sure you can blame the brokerage if someone who owns a historic and wishes to sell it provides a detailed but incorrect history. Especially when Pete has given them lots of correct details.

I presume the brokerage took the pictures though, and should be capable of seeing that (on the side shown at least!) it is not in GUCCCo "Coronation" colours of red, white and blue.

I accept some of it may be the vendor supplying duff information, but it does seem odd for the broker to knowingly publish a description that is not supported by the photos they have attached to it.

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I presume the brokerage took the pictures though, and should be capable of seeing that (on the side shown at least!) it is not in GUCCCo "Coronation" colours of red, white and blue.

I accept some of it may be the vendor supplying duff information, but it does seem odd for the broker to knowingly publish a description that is not supported by the photos they have attached to it.

On both sides actually - picture No. 4

1519-04.jpg shows the cabin port side decorated identically to the starboard side. (In BW yellow/blue livery)

Edited by David Schweizer

The Taylors boats are lovely, and really valuable pieces of canal history.

But there are two snags.

One - I can't look at them without thinking about Eric Sykes, in "The Bargee"( I know the boat in the film wasn't one of these); and I haven't got a blazer!

Two- There are a lot more wazzocks about in heavy steel boats than there were in their heyday, and I'd be worried taking them out; and pressure washing and blacking is easier than scraping and varnishing.

The Greenlaw: after all the hilarity has died down, it remains a lovely boat. All those luxury features - makes us feel like a lot of scruffy beggars; although it might benefit from ditching some of the flowers, crocheted frills and furbelows, and maybe some of the solar panels. Unless of course the JP is just for show, and it's really powered by an electric motor.

On 25/05/2017 at 17:39, alan_fincher said:

What is a "Woolwich Trader" FFS?  Has someone at Rugby boats herad the term "Northwich Trader", and believes this to be the Harland and Wolff equivalent? :banghead:

A brokerage that is worth its salt, and selling a proper piece of real canal history should surely be capable of finding out what they have been asked to sell, and describing it with at least some degree of accuracy.

If you read the brochure there's quite a few "moments".....who knew H & W used metric steel sheets......

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I wonder if it's for sale with mooring as it  is difficult to get Cantley off the hedge??

Yes, the privet mooring did sound unusual. Does it get wound round the prop?