Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I see that the hull of Acacia is described as "coppered steel". I'm not sure I understand the term. Does it mean that the six Yarwoods' joshers made like this are less prone to corrosion?

Copper clad steel is definitely a thing. No idea if Acacia was built with it, or how much copper would be left now

Otherwise, copper in steel is usually a contaminant

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Copper clad steel is definitely a thing. No idea if Acacia was built with it, or how much copper would be left now

Otherwise, copper in steel is usually a contaminant

Richard

Copper-clad steel is a bi-metallic product i.e. two layers, as the name suggests. I doubt that's what it means. I think the correct language is copper bearing steel which as is hinted above is an alloy steel with a high copper content that has superior corrosion resistance properties and is easier to work.

I am pretty sure Laurence Hogg and/or Alan Fincher have previously stated that the middle Northwich boats were constructed using such steel, possibly for anticipated use in estuarine waters. It could equally have been to assist the manufacture of the rounded chines.

As for the seven composite FMC boats I would guess the term composite still applies to what we would conventionally understand i.e. metallic sides and wooden bottom?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Does that give them bi-metallic strip qualities?

So in the Summer they go round bends easier, or do they tend to hog like a wooden boat does?

Wooden boats dont hog there just having a stretch.

I belive coppered steel was an attempt to reduce corrosion in very corrosive waters like the wever is.

Isn't that an st3 though?

It is but not bad price if the box is any good. There was a jp on there not so long ago for just under 5 with box was a bolinder 1113 think it was.

I know of a lister ts2 15hp marine unit for 1k for sale

Edited by billybobbooth

When I first knew Acacia she was fitted with a JP3 (2)? The then owner, Frances Beechey, put the Gardner in after a very near miss with an oncoming boat in a bridge hole....the JP was slower to pick up in an emergency! At the time, he dealt in motors in a small way.

Dave

Coppered? Coopered? just a thought, to achieve the fore end slightly barrel shape maybe also a slightly rounded chine. Can't say I've ever seen copper plated steel of any type and I've never heard of teredo worm attacking narrow boats steel sides or wooden bottoms.

I believe it means "copper bearing" rather than having a coppered layer?

I can't recall the Middle Northwich boats using it, (I may be wrong though!), although some GUCCCo ones were specified to.

When we had a lot of steelwork done on "Sickle". (Middle Northwich) recently Graeme Pearce at Stockton Dry Dock described the original steel as being more like wrought iron when he worked on it, and quite unlike modern steels, particularly when welded.

I see the advert for Acacia no longer claims it is a "Fish" class boat (!)

I believe it means "copper bearing" rather than having a coppered layer?

I can't recall the Middle Northwich boats using it, (I may be wrong though!), although some GUCCCo ones were specified to.

When we had a lot of steelwork done on "Sickle". (Middle Northwich) recently Graeme Pearce at Stockton Dry Dock described the original steel as being more like wrought iron when he worked on it, and quite unlike modern steels, particularly when welded.

That sounds consistent with an alloy steel containing a high copper percentage. Wrought iron is more malleable than mild steel at an equivalent temperature.

JP

Victoria, and presumably the other Yarwood Royalty boats were made from Coppered Steel. As people have said, it's an alloy. There is a stamp on the steel on Victoria, however I have lost the image from the last paint stripping.

Mike

I don't know about a Springer, but feel sure there is/was a cruiser made from gas holder plate. Blow'd if I can remember the name though.

Was built by Roger Sharpe at Shardlow and moored there for years, very likely still extant.

When I first knew Acacia she was fitted with a JP3 (2)? The then owner, Frances Beechey, put the Gardner in after a very near miss with an oncoming boat in a bridge hole....the JP was slower to pick up in an emergency! At the time, he dealt in motors in a small way.

Dave

I bought a load of JP spares from Francis when I was building up my engine in the late 80s/early 90s.On the last occasion I spoke to him, he was waxing lyrical about Acacia with its 4LW. It was a sad day for me when I heard he had passed away. He was a veritable mine of information,always willing to help, and a great guy.