Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

There are two complete raw water intake systems, including two water pumps, with a changeover valve.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. The two occasions in the past sixteen years when the Kelvin let me down was when the water inlet was blocked.

Two water inlets and valves feeding the mudbox was standard on the National powered GU boats. I was told that this was to allow for loaded and light operation where the bottom was too near the top.

My " Josher " Lily had the same setup, a higher & low water inlet valves with pipe work in the hull side to a mud box towards the forward engine room bulkhead. I was " advised" when running loaded to draw water from the higher inlet. Empty working most often required the lower inlet, the water pump for cooling was a piston type pump with brass penny disks both used for inlet & outlet non return valves, any foreign bodies of any description that got through the mud box/filters the pump suffered any thing between a slight decease, to total lack of cooling water exiting the outlet in the hulls side & the one pot Seffle semi diesel not liking the reduced cooling one bit. A piece of foam rubber encased in a brass wire gauze a tight fit in the top part of the mud box seemed to work well.

I can't imagine some of those fitting under Nell Bridge!

They did travel much of the system, though - the height is deceptive.

I always wondered what had become of them.

And I think the 'handrail' at the front is actually a bar for the front mooring line - much the same principle as the bar on the back of the cabin on a trad working boat.

And I think the 'handrail' at the front is actually a bar for the front mooring line - much the same principle as the bar on the back of the cabin on a trad working boat.

That does seem to be how it is used in the newspaper photo

Richard

TAY now has a 'For Sale' sign on its roof in the marina.

Whilst I think it has been for sale for quite a while, it's probably stayed under a few radars as as far as I know it's not been advertised online yet.

My dad said to me about this a while prob miles out of my price but a toc boat i have to ask any one know what shes going for? (Any one know a hit man i need to claim on the life insurance) but on a real side i would like to know as i cant resist a tco boat as im currently convincing the wife to beech and slowly winning she has agreed to go see it.

I don't normally bother posting Humber keels to this thread, but here is Beecliffe, which the late Tim Leech and others took across to the continent in 1975 - might well have been the first one ever to make the trip.

Now at an eyewatering price with a residential mooring in the London Docklands, but still with its original boatmans cabin.

1.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

Now that's really beautiful, what engine has it got? Or have you a link to an advert?

The photos link to the broker's page for it, doesn't say much!

Engine used to be a Lister HA2 but don't know if it still is.

There were a whole set of keels with names ending in "-cliffe", it was the naming scheme for one of the operating companies. Shirecliffe is also for sale in the same marina, built 1925, still with the JP2 that was fitted when she was converted from sail in the 30s or 40s.

There were a whole set of keels with names ending in "-cliffe", it was the naming scheme for one of the operating companies. Shirecliffe is also for sale in the same marina, built 1925, still with the JP2 that was fitted when she was converted from sail in the 30s or 40s.

If you go from the home page it shows Beecliffe and Shirecliffe as sold.

Thanks for that, for some reason the photos don't link to anything for me. Its only interest, the silly price tag puts me off.

Regards kris

When I first saw Beecliffe in the early 70's, she moored in the same harbor in Amsterdam that I was moored, Tim Leech wasn't on board but his partners showed me around and we had tea in the bow cabin, the hold wasn't fitted out at the time.

She had a Lister HA-3 then, the first engine it ever had was a Lister JP-2, and when I saw them again in '81 somewhere on the Rhône they had replaced the Lister HA-3 with a Gardner LW, I don't remember if it was a 4-5 or 6LW, and I suppose that that's the engine she still has now.

Btw, the ad has been posted several times before, no idea if she never sold in the meantime, or if they're still trying, it's a lot of money crazy London prices

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Dows she keep on being offered for sale by successive owners, or has she been perpetually on sale and hasn't sold at all? For someone who doesn't insist on a truly traditional interior, she's a high-spec boat for a probably sensible price (which I think has gone down since the last time I noticed her for sale).

They did travel much of the system, though - the height is deceptive.

I always wondered what had become of them.

I've been doing some mechanical work on what was the destroyer "London"* today. It was known as "The Frigate" after de-commissioning. She still has one or two RN features but looks like a lot of other canal boats these days. The old superstructures and guns were made of wood and could easily be removed to clear bridges etc. At 44 years old does she qualify for historic status yet?

* The RN changed the name depending on which town they were visiting , that was supposed to help with recruitment

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of engine?

How many berths?

ER, it's a butty, Zen, hence there is no engine. As the hold is open, I would guess that it has just the fold-down (nominally) double bed in the back cabin.

ER, it's a butty, Zen, hence there is no engine. As the hold is open, I would guess that it has just the fold-down (nominally) double bed in the back cabin.

From talking to people who have sold butties, you wouldn't believe how often the "what kind of engine does it have?" question is asked.