TV AERIAL

gaz_88

Featured Posts

Hello Folks

Just wondering if anyone has some advice on which Tv Aerials are the best.

Cheers!

Hiya.

We went for a satellite dish in order to access Freesat. Fairly simple system, with a Multimo dish. To this we added the optional magnet, and with a magnetic mat on the roof, simples! Well it is most of the time! Of course you have to have line of sight to the satellite and a freesat receiver, but overall pleased with it. Plonk on the roof, twiddle it and bingo.

Always remember that whatever you source, Google can be your friend. Find what suits you, then search online. Roadpro is good for ideas, if not prices!.

john.

We too have gone down the Freesat route

Almost never have any alignment problems (just point it between the trees & avoid high buildings!)

Bought a cheap kit from Screwfix, inc. dish, cable & receiver box.(I think it was on offer at £75) - I believe that every now and again Lidl offer a similar kit even cheaper.

It handles a good HD signal too!

(and with a grey polyplastic dish - even less to tarnish in the UK weather!)

we use one the torpedo shaped magnetic jobbies that can be had for a tenner or so.

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-Base-DVB-T-HDTV-Digital-Freeview-15dBi-Antenna-TV-Coaxial-/380535079504?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5899a88250

The one we use has a higher gain (will work on weaker signals) but needs a power supply.

found it to be as good as 'proper' house type aerial that used to be a right faff to set up.

We also have an 'aldi' cheapo freesat which is a bit fiddly to set up but works brilliantly when it is.

Hello Folks

Cheers!

This one has never failed me yet just lying on the roof of my boat.

$(KGrHqV,!oUFDCYT-WkyBQ2687Oyuw~~60_1.JPG

Remember some transmitters use vertical polarisation so you need to be a bit inventive if its just placed on the roof.

Remember some transmitters use vertical polarisation so you need to be a bit inventive if its just placed on the roof.

This is similar to mine only the "spikes" are more circular on mine. The best bit on mine is that the pole is fixed to the front bulkhead and fed through a hole in the roof overhang of the cratch. This means it can be extended, retracted, and rotated from inside the cratch and sits nicely on the roof when retracted. It works very well.

The aerial above is a "log periodic" and has the advantage that it can be stored flat (more conventional aerials have a V- shaped reflector that gets in the way). An other advantage of the log variety is that it is very good at rejecting unwanted signals - Digital TV devices are much more susceptible cross channel interference than the old "steam tv" ever was. I'm speaking from experience here....

If your cruising area us midlands / south, then a shorter version of the above would most likely be adequate and less unsightly.

I use one.

BUT then that's only for emergencies as we find satellite is more reliable and predictable (- that wasn't your question...)

Edit:

I don NOT recommend a stub type aerial because of the inteference issue. If you are moored in a strong signal area - near to the transmitter, then they "are likely" to give good results. Out cruising - then I have my doubts.

Looking at your profile - I see that you are - at the uttermost ends of the Empire - and it might be worthwhile going to the trade section of this site where you can get an indication of the signal strength where you are.

Edited by OldGoat

Hello Folks

Cheers!

Have a look at what other boaters are using. Many use the Image aerial, as we do, with very satisfactory results.

This is the one http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/image-430-uhf-fm-vhf-european-digital-and-analogue-reception-.html

Edited by Rich

We use both freesat, and for when satellite reception is poor, we also have a free view set top box linked to this Avtex STH1000 digital aerial.

My link

It has worked perfectly in all the locations we have used it.

Edited to repair link!

Edited by NB Ellisiana

After doing a lot of reading around on it, I went for a DM Log periodic aerial and a telescopic mast. The long mast is quite marginal, but in a canal, it helps. The aerial was about £35 and the pole £35 too, although I think you can get the pole cheaper.

DSC_0660reduced.jpg

(Cable has since been connected!!!)

After doing a lot of reading around on it, I went for a DM Log periodic aerial and a telescopic mast. The long mast is quite marginal, but in a canal, it helps. The aerial was about £35 and the pole £35 too, although I think you can get the pole cheaper.

DSC_0660reduced.jpg

(Cable has since been connected!!!)

That's some aerial on the boat just around the bend behind you. :mellow:

We use both freesat, and for when satellite reception is poor, we also have a free view set top box linked to this Avtex STH1000 digital aerial.

My link

It has worked perfectly in all the locations we have used it.

Edited to repair link!

Still doesn 't work - try here

http://www.ropersleisure.co.uk/caravan-and-motorhome-accessories/avtex-sth1000-antenna.html

That's another omni-directional aerial. If it works, fine. Wouldn't for me on the Thames (we had a souped up Maxview and it was "not very good")

For a log periodic (a shorter version of what's up the mast in the picture) looky here on eBay I've bought a long and short from this guy, cheap and cheerful, but works and the quality is as good as those from Antiference.

'suppose my point is that technically a complex array is more likely to work in difficult areas than a simple dipole (which is waht the other are).

• Greenie 1

My link

What do you guys think of this one?

that partucular one looks a bit like snake oil, 90db gain is huge, and I find the claims its work on any voltage 12-240v but is a 'passive' device with no external supply at little odd. The price is high, but if really has such a high gain that could justify it.

The one i use has a more beliveable gain of 28dB but needs a power supply to send 5 volts up the co-ax lead to power it. I replaced a big high gain domestic style antenna with it and found it to be as good if not better, doesn't need pointing at the transmitter, or changing for vertical/horizontal polarisation and mine cost about £15. Ocassionally when we can't get a signal we talk to each other or play cards - amazing !

that partucular one looks a bit like snake oil, 90db gain is huge, and I find the claims its work on any voltage 12-240v but is a 'passive' device with no external supply at little odd. The price is high, but if really has such a high gain that could justify it.

The one i use has a more beliveable gain of 28dB but needs a power supply to send 5 volts up the co-ax lead to power it. I replaced a big high gain domestic style antenna with it and found it to be as good if not better, doesn't need pointing at the transmitter, or changing for vertical/horizontal polarisation and mine cost about £15. Ocassionally when we can't get a signal we talk to each other or play cards - amazing !

Absolutely, someone seeing sense at last. Even so figures can be fudged and/or misrepresented.

In any event, even with a good amplifier, you're only increasing the non signal noise. What is needed first is a good antenna which can reject as much unwanted radiation as possible, and then a reasonable masthead (dunno why a masthead amp is best - if the cable run is small) or an amplifier just inside the boat.

At times it can be a black art.

You can't get 'owt for n'owt.

Maybe they are saying that its performance is so poor that it neds a signal 90dB above that which would be acceptable with any other aerial?

Incidentally I use an Omnimax aerial most of the time; it works perfectly well in most areas. If you live in (or are travelling through) a poor signal aerial you need something better. I would estimate that 75% of the time I can use the Omnimax, 20% of the time I have to swap to a small directional aerial, and the other 5% of the time I have to use the satellite dish.

My directional aerial is an old indoor aerial, actually a Labgear Tristar AN310 (picture here) although that exact one is not available any more, with the base replaced by a few inches of plastic sink-waste pipe. I like it because it's strongl;y made and doesn't have any sharp points. The pipe is a perfect fit over the Omnimax base, so I just pull off the Omni, transfer the connector to the Tristar, and place the pipe over the base before rotating it for the best signal.

Still doesn 't work - try here

http://www.ropersleisure.co.uk/caravan-and-motorhome-accessories/avtex-sth1000-antenna.html

That's another omni-directional aerial. If it works, fine. Wouldn't for me on the Thames (we had a souped up Maxview and it was "not very good")

For a log periodic (a shorter version of what's up the mast in the picture) looky here on eBay I've bought a long and short from this guy, cheap and cheerful, but works and the quality is as good as those from Antiference.

'suppose my point is that technically a complex array is more likely to work in difficult areas than a simple dipole (which is waht the other are).

Interesting. I haven't used it on the Thames, but hope to be down that way this summer. May have to be prepared to invest in a log periodic as well then! Or maybe I'll just read a book! :)

Maybe they are saying that its performance is so poor that it neds a signal 90dB above that which would be acceptable with any other aerial?

Incidentally I use an Omnimax aerial most of the time; it works perfectly well in most areas. If you live in (or are travelling through) a poor signal aerial you need something better. I would estimate that 75% of the time I can use the Omnimax, 20% of the time I have to swap to a small directional aerial, and the other 5% of the time I have to use the satellite dish.

My directional aerial is an old indoor aerial, actually a Labgear Tristar AN310 (picture here) although that exact one is not available any more, with the base replaced by a few inches of plastic sink-waste pipe. I like it because it's strongl;y made and doesn't have any sharp points. The pipe is a perfect fit over the Omnimax base, so I just pull off the Omni, transfer the connector to the Tristar, and place the pipe over the base before rotating it for the best signal.

Oh dear, I can see I've got an knowledgeable adversary - CQ G3xxx, CQ G3xxx, so I'd better shut up.

Your response above goes against what little I have gleaned to date. Like you we use satellite as the main means of watching tv - more predictable.

However, II will drag out my very old Omnimax and give it another try. Chuck out the Toppy (shame still a great box) - very susceptible to interference from other transmitters - and replace it with a Humax 300 which doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Let battle commence!

I must say it's very seductive, not to have to venture outside (always while it's tipping down) to find a signal - so I want it to succeed.

BTW if you read this, pretty please - does the Omnimax have a pre-amp in the base of the assembly (or it in the control box)? I ask because there's a a LED in the assembly and I can't see the point if the pre-amp is elsewhere.

Thanks!

Oh dear, I can see I've got an knowledgeable adversary - CQ G3xxx, CQ G3xxx, so I'd better shut up.

Your response above goes against what little I have gleaned to date. Like you we use satellite as the main means of watching tv - more predictable.

However, II will drag out my very old Omnimax and give it another try. Chuck out the Toppy (shame still a great box) - very susceptible to interference from other transmitters - and replace it with a Humax 300 which doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Let battle commence!

I must say it's very seductive, not to have to venture outside (always while it's tipping down) to find a signal - so I want it to succeed.

BTW if you read this, pretty please - does the Omnimax have a pre-amp in the base of the assembly (or it in the control box)? I ask because there's a a LED in the assembly and I can't see the point if the pre-amp is elsewhere.

Thanks!

The earliest Omnimaxes had a preamplifier that was built into a short black tube, from memory about 3" long and 1" diameter, with a connector on each end. It fitted inside the base after first being screwed onto the bottom of aerial itself. ISTR it was actually an optional extra when first released. It needed a 12v supply to it up the cable, for which there was a small box inside the boat that contained only a filter and no actual electronics.

Problems arose when people lost the 12v feed because then they lost the signal. Most people didn't understand what was going on, so an early modification was to fit an LED that showed you when you had power at the aerial.

When they changed to having a pre-amplifier built into the in-board box instead at the aerial itself, they kept the LED as it was a useful indicator that at least the coax cable hadn't broken. These early pre-amps therefore still supplied 12v up the cable. The performance was just as good as a masthead pre-amp because the cable losses were rarely more than a couple of dB (the cable was generally quite short) and the amplifiers were considerably better, being built with much lower-noise transistors.

Finally the LED and the power feed were discontinued - presumably to save costs - to arrive at the present situation. They seem to be pretty good, although the pre-amp is prone to overloading if you have a very strong signal, particularly as it is extremely wideband, and will almost certainly need a filter when the new 4G signals become common.

All this is just from memory so I may have some details wrong, it's just that I happened to be buying one around the time of each of the major design changes so spent some time talking to their engineers.

73 de G3XJO