The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

Thankfully, after months of negotiations with Punch Taverns (T/A Dumb & Dumber),

a lady from Manchester looks likely to be taking on the expensive lease for The Shroppie Fly pub

on the Shropshire Union Canal at Audlem, Cheshire.

According to locals who have spoken to her,

she is keen to maintain the pub's boating traditions and musical heritage.

This good news will please not only the locals to the area,

but also many boaters who pass through Audlem on their travels.

ir17o9.jpg

o0yvio.jpg

After Punch Taverns placed a temporary landlord & landlady in their premises

following the retirement of the previous tenants, the place went rapidly downhill.

Lacking in heating, decent ale and atmosphere.

Even C&RT placed a warning sign on the doors.

2mn10d2.jpg

Meanwhile, one of the pub's most frequent drinkers (from a dog's bowl)

sits eagerly waiting for the grand re-opening day!

szbj1v.jpg

ETA The C&RT sign was borrowed and replaced from the adjoining Elsan

point that was condemned and now repaired!

Edited by Doorman

Meanwhile, one of the pub's most frequent drinkers (from a dog's bowl)

sits eagerly waiting for the grand re-opening day!

szbj1v.jpg

ETA The C&RT sign was borrowed and replaced from the adjoining Elsan

point that was condemned and now repaired!

Where was the dog borrowed from? :P

Where was the dog borrowed from? :P

Our boat! :lol:

His favourite place in the pub was under the pool table. In fact, some of the boater customers who didn't know better, thought that his name was

'Getunder'

As in "get under the table!"

His other favourite pastime is amusing the customers who sit outsdide in the warmer months drinking next to the canal, by diving into the water in spectacular fashion then swimming about for a couple of minutes. We're convinced that it's the thrill of diving that he enjoys more than the actual swimming.

He is truly a nutter!

Edited by Doorman

Our boat! :lol:

His favourite place in the pub was under the pool table. In fact, some of the boater customers who didn't know better, thought that his name was

'Getunder'

As in "get under the table!"

His other favourite pastime is amusing the customers who sit outsdide in the warmer months drinking next to the canal, by diving into the water in spectacular fashion then swimming about for a couple of minutes. We're convinced that it's the thrill of diving that he enjoys more than the actual swimming.

He is truly a nutter!

:lol:

Our remaining dogs (whippet and greyhound) aren't too keen on swimming. The greyhound is a bit thick. It knows it can walk around the decks of the barge, but on two occasions it has tried to walk along the gunwales of the narrowboat. The second time it managed to get half way, before falling in!

Back on topic, glad to see the Shroppie Fly will reopen, as it will be in the "Mrs TNC Gentle Cruising Co" new cruising range.

It was a bit strange that during the second half of last year they weren't doing food just as The Bridge re-opened.

Did the kitchens get condemned Doorman or was it all part of the dispute with the owners.

Kate and Andy had been tenants for many years, but gave in notice in the normal way, and left in early October. They stopped doing food about three or four weeks beforehand.

Temporary managers came in soon after, and started doing food, albeit light snacks in the main. But there really weren't any customers - a common phenomenon when a pub is between landlords. So they gave up the food after a short while, and then reduced opening hours to a couple at lunchtime, and early evening - and then only Tuesday to Saturday. Still hardly any customers, and they left before Christmas.

The new landlady has told me that she wants to be in for Easter, but that there's quite a bit of work to be done. As yet, there's no signs of any contractors. Watch this space .....

Kate and Andy had been tenants for many years, but gave in notice in the normal way, and left in early October. They stopped doing food about three or four weeks beforehand.

Temporary managers came in soon after, and started doing food, albeit light snacks in the main. But there really weren't any customers - a common phenomenon when a pub is between landlords. So they gave up the food after a short while, and then reduced opening hours to a couple at lunchtime, and early evening - and then only Tuesday to Saturday. Still hardly any customers, and they left before Christmas.

The new landlady has told me that she wants to be in for Easter, but that there's quite a bit of work to be done. As yet, there's no signs of any contractors. Watch this space .....

Thanks for the update. We shall have to see what the spring brings. Otherwise it will be the Lord Combermere for us.

Thanks for the update. We shall have to see what the spring brings. Otherwise it will be the Lord Combermere for us.

As regulars in The Shroppie Fly since we moved to Audlem, we shall wait and see what the new tenant has to offer in terms of hospitality, good ale and food. In the meantime, we too frequent both The Lord Combermere and The Bridge where the respective hosts offer all that's important in a good welcoming pub.

The only thing lacking there is the close proximity of the canal, where you can while away the summer days as you enjoy a pint or three and your dog can cool off with an occasional dip in the cut. Some of the sights we've seen whilst sitting on the benches outside of The Fly are worthy of a 'Carry On' film. What with the hire boat season approaching, if the new tenant doesn't get a move on we'll miss out on some giggles.

Last year we had one hirer attempt driving her boat into lock 13. Nothing unusual there maybe, except that she did it with the lock gate closed :wacko:

Another classic was the private boater who chose to use the water point outside the pub to shampoo and wash his sixty footer. When another boater approached asking what the f**king hell was going on, the boat washer simply pointed to the next water point in the pound below! You can imagine what was said thereafter.

Roll on summer. :cheers:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

As regulars in The Shroppie Fly since we moved to Audlem, we shall wait and see what the new tenant has to offer in terms of hospitality, good ale and food. In the meantime, we too frequent both The Lord Combermere and The Bridge where the respective hosts offer all that's important in a good welcoming pub.

The only thing lacking there is the close proximity of the canal, where you can while away the summer days as you enjoy a pint or three and your dog can cool off with an occasional dip in the cut. Some of the sights we've seen whilst sitting on the benches outside of The Fly are worthy of a 'Carry On' film. What with the hire boat season approaching, if the new tenant doesn't get a move on we'll miss out on some giggles.

Last year we had one hirer attempt driving her boat into lock 13. Nothing unusual there maybe, except that she did it with the lock gate closed :wacko:

Another classic was the private boater who chose to use the water point outside the pub to shampoo and wash his sixty footer. When another boater approached asking what the f**king hell was going on, the boat washer simply pointed to the next water point in the pound below! You can imagine what was said thereafter.

Roll on summer. :cheers:

Mike

Or Mike the boater that decided at the water point to empty his 'toilet cassette' at the same time... but decided that the nearest table (with customers enjoying their lunch in the sunshine)was a very handy place to put the 'full tank' on :sick: lol... You couldnt make it up could you...

Or Mike the boater that decided at the water point to empty his 'toilet cassette' at the same time... but decided that the nearest table (with customers enjoying their lunch in the sunshine)was a very handy place to put the 'full tank' on :sick: lol... You couldnt make it up could you...

Exactly!

We've also witnessed one guy whom was stood proud on the well deck of his boat, directing operations as his wife was at the stern. As their boat approached the concrete abutment next to the water point, she carried on regardlessly and in doing so, clouting the brick wall thus jettisoning her husband overboard and rolling him towards the lock cottage.

Trying to look calm and collected, he brushed himself down whilst all the outside diners wiped the tears from down their legs.

Carry on Shroppie Fly. Bring it on! :lol:

Edited by Doorman

On a more serious note.

This lovely picture is of a young couple approaching lock 13 (with the gate open) outside of the pub during last year's Festival of Transport in Audlem.

If you look closely at the bundle of clothes nestling on the the young lady's lap, you might just see her 8 week old baby snuggling in there!

11k8gzo.jpg

Her partner steered the boat with such precision taking care not to dislodge his valuable cargo.

• 3 weeks later...

The new landlady told me a couple of days ago that there are delays (at the CRT/Punch Taverns level, apparently - CRT actually own the building), but that she hopes to reopen during the second half of April.

If CRT owns the pub, I wonder what the terms of Punch's lease are.

It would be lovely if they could be kicked out and it become a free house.

In the real world that is unlikely, and I wish the new tenants every success.

We will definately aim to call in next time aboard in May.

Wilst in Audlem yesterday we heard that after delicate negotiations she was finally in a position to start work next week and expects this to take 5 weeks. so early April is on the cards.

Hi, whilst there did you notice a handsome sod trying to imitate a lumberjack?

If so, get me his phone number because I need him to do some tree surgery on our own version of the Brazilian rain forest!

Powerful Pierre

Edited by Doorman

If CRT owns the pub, I wonder what the terms of Punch's lease are.

It would be lovely if they could be kicked out and it become a free house.

In the real world that is unlikely, and I wish the new tenants every success.

We will definately aim to call in next time aboard in May.

Yes, in the real world Punch will probably give the new tenant a rent payment holiday whilst she renovates the pub then shaft her with an unrealistic rent. Apparently, this is their usual method of incentive to the hard working people known as Landlords & Landladies. Then, when they've bled them dry, and totally demoralised them, they wonder why so many simply lock the doors on their way out with a months takings in their arse pocket, never to be seen again!

It beggars belief why they do this repeatedly, especially as their share value looks to be on a downward spiral. I believe that at their head office they have a plaque on the wall that says; "Sackings will continue until moral improves!" :wacko:

Yes, in the real world Punch will probably give the new tenant a rent payment holiday whilst she renovates the pub then shaft her with an unrealistic rent. Apparently, this is their usual method of incentive to the hard working people known as Landlords & Landladies. Then, when they've bled them dry, and totally demoralised them, they wonder why so many simply lock the doors on their way out with a months takings in their arse pocket, never to be seen again!

It beggars belief why they do this repeatedly, especially as their share value looks to be on a downward spiral. I believe that at their head office they have a plaque on the wall that says; "Sackings will continue until moral improves!" :wacko:

Sadly Enterprise Inns also use the same techniques in man (and woman) management.

Sadly Enterprise Inns also use the same techniques in man (and woman) management.

When employing a technique, whether it be to do with Human Resource or selling etc., and it clearly doesn't work, why on earth do companies continue to do so? I used to employ 27 women, most of whom stayed in my employment for years, even when on a minimum wage for that service industry.

I have no fancy degrees or letters behind my name, just (hopefully) enough common sense to realise how to motivate people and treat them with the respect that they deserve. If I can do it then why can't the suits whom run the likes of Punch do the same? :rolleyes:

This has been the way pub chains have operated for as long as I can remember. In my opinion it is done totally conscuiously, i.e. the don't wonder why so many lock the door etc, they expect and know it will happen with every landlord eventually. The more effort and money the LL puts in and the longer it takes, the more they rub their hands in glee.

Once a tenant throws in the towel, there is an endless supply of new mugs out there fancying a pub of their own and willing to sink their life savings into 'making a go of it'. When times are good the new tenant keeps their head above water but the bad periods always crop up (eg a week of freezing weather, Olympics, whatever) and each time the LL's finances slip a little deeper into the red. Eventually they are forced into bankruptcy and the cycle repeats. Its a vicious business, pubs, IMO.

Just my reading of the situation...

MtB

This has been the way pub chains have operated for as long as I can remember. In my opinion it is done totally conscuiously, i.e. the don't wonder why so many lock the door etc, they expect and know it will happen with every landlord eventually. The more effort and money the LL puts in and the longer it takes, the more they rub their hands in glee.

Once a tenant throws in the towel, there is an endless supply of new mugs out there fancying a pub of their own and willing to sink their life savings into 'making a go of it'. When times are good the new tenant keeps their head above water but the bad periods always crop up (eg a week of freezing weather, Olympics, whatever) and each time the LL's finances slip a little deeper into the red. Eventually they are forced into bankruptcy and the cycle repeats. Its a vicious business, pubs, IMO.

MtB

Spot on MtB

As per my first post on this thread. If CRT own the pub, what a shame that Punch owns the lease.

One of my favourite pubs on the cut, oh I wish it was a free house. However I will support the new landlady when we are passing.

MtB

That just about sums the situation up very well! :cheers:

One of my favourite pubs on the cut, oh I wish it was a free house. However I will support the new landlady when we are passing.

Let's hope that as promised, she keeps with the traditional boaty style of the place. Oh, and when you are passing, don't be surprised to see a pair of fossils sunning themselves and their pet seal (Labrador) on the wooden benches outside. :cheers:

MtB

When I started drinking the vast majority of pubs were owned by breweries (large and small), and only a small number were free houses. The breweries had a vested interest in maintaining the vitality of the pub sector, since it was the principal outlet for their products. The downside was that in most pubs you had little choice, only the products of the owning brewery, and the free houses complained that they were having to pay a lot more for beer than the brewery-owned pubs.

The government changed the law in the name of competition, so that the big breweries could not own pubs, pub landlords would be free to buy from anywhere, and customers would get more choice.

That's not quite how it worked out. Two of the biggest brewers at the time, Bass Charrington and Whitbread simply swapped assets, so that Bass took on Whitbread's brewing interests, and Whitbread took on Bass's pubs, and became a pubco. The pubcos now had no incentive to maintain the viability of the pub businesses, or be a part of the community. They just became property companies out to make a fast buck. That meant selling off properties that were worth more as houses than as pubs, and fleecing a never ending succession of new landlords prepared to 'invest' their life savings/inheritance/redundancy money in a business that was all too often too fragile to be sustainable in the long term.

The problem in many cases has been that the teneant has taken over an unsuccessful pub and over a couple of years made it into a viable profitable business. The Pubco then turns round and doubles or trebles the rent to the point where the hard-working successful tenant can't make any more profit so they are forced to leave. I can understand the pubco putting up the rent, but not to the point that they take all the potential profit from the business so the tenant has to leave.

Many pubs are taken over by dreamers with no idea that running a pub is a lot of hard work, not just leaning on the bar chatting with the customers. These deserve to fail. But when a tenant works their socks off to create a successful business you would think that the pubco would want to share that success and be part of it rather than killing it stone dead.

About time some of those myopic accountants read the parable of the golden goose.

The problem in many cases has been that the teneant has taken over an unsuccessful pub and over a couple of years made it into a viable profitable business. The Pubco then turns round and doubles or trebles the rent to the point where the hard-working successful tenant can't make any more profit so they are forced to leave. I can understand the pubco putting up the rent, but not to the point that they take all the potential profit from the business so the tenant has to leave.

Many pubs are taken over by dreamers with no idea that running a pub is a lot of hard work, not just leaning on the bar chatting with the customers. These deserve to fail. But when a tenant works their socks off to create a successful business you would think that the pubco would want to share that success and be part of it rather than killing it stone dead.

About time some of those myopic accountants read the parable of the golden goose.

In the case of Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns the accountants are desperate for the goose to keep laying because of the debt that was put in place to acquire the pubs in the first place.

Going back to the Shroppie. I believe that it was one of the pubs acquired along with the one at the bottom of Foxton flight and the one at the bottom of the Erewash canal in the ill fated attempt to go into partnership with Scottish & Newcastle. At the time I expected to see the beer range to change to Theakstons but it never did.

Edited by Cheshire cat