The "slow down" shouters

charles123

Featured Posts

I consider myself a considerate boater and for most of the time slow down when passing moored boats. There have been two incidents recently that got me wondering what it is with some people.

One of them was last week on the Bridgewater which is deep and wide therefore has much less effect on moored boats. I went past a moored private boat too quickly, granted this is one of the few occasions that I did not slow down, I think I was day dreaming not really paying too much attention, anyway this guy who was on the bank started raving. I never give agression back as there is no point as I am out boating for pleasure not agravation. Anyway I just gave him the thumbs up as I saw no point in shouting back, this seemed to make it worse as he went balistic, fortunately I could not hear what he was saying above the noise of the engine but was gesticulating violently. Maybe they expect agression back and that placates them I dont know.

Anyone got any experiences to offer?

Charles

Charles

Hi Charles,

We went past a moored boat at tickover last week, I smiled and waved at the woman hanging out of the hatch and she just shouted "Bloody well slow down" I just said "isn't it a pleasant evening" and smiled again! I'm considering the retort "get a caravan" or "have you considered something with wheels" next time but then it just disturbs my peace of mind to get angry back, I wouldn't have minded but her mooring ropes were like last tuedays washing, not suprising they moved when we went past, it was on the Bridgewater and we were hardly creating any wash. some pepole need to leave the worries of the world behind when they set foot on board..after all that's why we do it :blush:

Regards,

Ally P.

I had an afternoon kip just outside Marple yesterday - it was like the M6.

In an hour 30+ boats must have come past, I don't think more than 2 slowed down. It's a bit shallow there and I was right on the bottom, so was beached when I decided to leave.

I don't bother shouting at people, but I think hire boaters in particular should not try and go so far, I don't see the point if they have to go tearing home in the last few days doing 10h a day. Why not do less and have a break rather than stressing whether you'll make it back in time.

Whenever I'm going through flights I usually get talking to boats coming the other way and the topic of conversation more often than not with hire boaters is how they're not sure they'll make if back in time.

On the Stratford canal, up near Wilmcot / Wooten Wowen (sp?) there was a hote lboat moored about 100 yards from the lock. As we came out I can it a bit of weely to get the boat moving as someone was aiting to come in, once fully out of the lock wall I put the boat on tick over. Anyway, once past the hotel boat ( which was double berthed on a narrow stretch by the lock I add ) for some reason I looked back.

Out of the front of the hotel boat came a man with arms raised and shaking his head. I put the boat in neutral and asked what he wanted (well shouted as I was 60 ft away) He stated I should learn to slow down past moored boats and made the 'slow down' sign with his hands.

When on holiday I am very chilled, however, it gave me the right hump. I stopped the boat and turned round and said 'maybe if you were a bit more considerate on the mooring front I would have slowed down. Do you think you could have found a more awkward place to moor?', wit which he gave me the bird, which of course I duly responsd, asked about his prentage and cruised off'.

Now, I was not speeing, I was on tick over. I feel that because I was a hire boat he took exception.

I am always fully prepared to stand my ground at most times, however the Mrs was shocked becuas I am normally so relaxed and laugh that sort of thing off. It just got to me. Wrong, yes, but It felt 'needed'.

So Mr Hotel Boat Owner on the Stratford, learn to moor!!!!

Neil

Edited by Neildudman

Agreed, a pleasant smile is the order of the day, getting into a row just ruins everyone's mood. Also enables both parties to remain on their high-horse!

I have to put up with my boat heaving and waves splashing against the sides when cruisers pass my Avon moorings, and try not to get too uptight about it. So it's absurd to me the way some narrowboaters react to the slight bob (or if they aren't moored properly, bump) caused by me passing by at a considerate but not overly slow 2-3mph on the canals. Depending on the width/depth of the canal.

I think I know who this hotel boat guy at Stratford is, at Evesham I saw a hotel boat driver taking revenge on a boat he had moored abreast with, by spraying them with water from his propeller. Apparently their kids had kept him awake the previous night. He needs to learn to chill out!

Edited by Breals

Charles

Last year after the dry dock, I was passing a boat and I had slowed right down to less than 2 m.p.h. (by GPS) and he still said, "I thought you might have slowed down!".

My reply to that was to pick up the GPS unit, point at it and say "1.8 m.p.h., have a good day".

Earlier this year a fisherman who had not even set up his gear commmented that I was going a bit fast and that there was a speed limit on the canals, to which I replied "Yes I know, 3.8 m.p.h., so don't start".

(It was deep, wide water with no boats in sight).

These have been my only complaints since I got the GPS but it is very handy for settling debates as to what speed I am doing.

Colin

I

Whenever I'm going through flights I usually get talking to boats coming the other way and the topic of conversation more often than not with hire boaters is how they're not sure they'll make if back in time.

Hi Matt,

When we did the four counties a few weeks ago starting at middlewich, we did the hard bit first to get it out of the way, we met loads of hire boats hammering it down heartbreak on Friday night trying to get back to base for the early Saturday return before they ran out of light, to say they were stressed was an understatement.

Regards,

Ally p.

I have two approaches, depending on the mood of the day

1. "Get a life you sad Muppet"

2 cup hand over ear to pretend you didn't hear, when they reply louder, you say " oh.. quarter past ten!" really hacks them off :blush:

I allways slow down for moored boats/anglers but some people haven't got anything better to do with there spare time, sad really.

I consider myself a considerate boater and for most of the time slow down when passing moored boats. There have been two incidents recently that got me wondering what it is with some people.

One of them was last week on the Bridgewater which is deep and wide therefore has much less effect on moored boats. I went past a moored private boat too quickly, granted this is one of the few occasions that I did not slow down, I think I was day dreaming not really paying too much attention, anyway this guy who was on the bank started raving. I never give agression back as there is no point as I am out boating for pleasure not agravation. Anyway I just gave him the thumbs up as I saw no point in shouting back, this seemed to make it worse as he went balistic, fortunately I could not hear what he was saying above the noise of the engine but was gesticulating violently. Maybe they expect agression back and that placates them I dont know.

Charles

Hi Charles

I must admit that, after 30 odd years in the Navy and now 5 years on the inland waterways, I continue to be surprised by how vehement people can be about this. I hear tales of spilt wine, scalding tea or potentially upset chip pans...these people are on a boat and they complain that it wobbles about a bit? But, of course, the BCN is not the North Atlantic so we must make some allowances. I slow down, though as much out of courtesy than anything else.

My theory is that it is more psychology than physical motion: people hear a boat approaching and wait for the drop in engine note that signifies that an effort has been made to slow down. If they don't hear it, then they get upset. The final factor is that a significant number of canal boaters simply do not moor their boats properly (this will cause a stir, I dare say): if you keep your lines tight and at 45 degrees to the boat axis and (better still) fit a spring then there is little boat motion except in the most extreme cases.

As to the response - there are some really good ones posted here, the best being wishing the person a 'good day' with a smile. Politeness always takes the wind out of the sails of these sad people who appear to have so much aggression and resentment in their lives.

Edited by Jaysay

None of the replies given so far take account of the fact that, although the posters may have been wrongly accused of not slowing down, there is a sizeable minority, maybe even a majority,, of boaters, both private and hirers, who make no effort, or only a token effort, to slow down.

Your right to rock my boat ends when I am about to pour scalding water into a cup or pot, or when my wife is about to inject herself with medication

Which hire boaters are the worse? I find that Black Prince boats are the worse for not slowing down, so presumably they are not told. I would have thought it would be easy for boats to put a line on the tachometer ot indicate an appropriate speed to pass moored boats.

I always slow down for boats & anglers (unless, like charles, I am daydreaming - in which case I usually get a quick poke in the ribs from my wife), however I think moorers have a duty to tie up properly as well. It annoys me particularly when people on their own moorings tie up with very slack lines, maybe at 90 degrees to the bank. It's no wonder they get a fore & back surge. It's a bit different when mooring with pins, but even then it makes sense to have the ropes fore & aft at a low angle to the towpath to reduce the surge.

I know on rivers it can be a bit different due to changing water lavels, but on most canals the change in level is negligible.

None of the replies given so far take account of the fact that, although the posters may have been wrongly accused of not slowing down, there is a sizeable minority, maybe even a majority,, of boaters, both private and hirers, who make no effort, or only a token effort, to slow down.

Your right to rock my boat ends when I am about to pour scalding water into a cup or pot, or when my wife is about to inject herself with medication

You are right, no one should be travelling at a speed which causes other boats to rock unduly, although even at very low speeds some motion is inevitable unless the boat is very carefully moored (so if you are performing a delicate operation such as injecting insulin, do have a look up and down to check no-one is about to pass).

But this thread is about the unreasonable attitudes of some boaters who expect their boat never to move despite mooring so loosely that it is inevitable that they will bump around, or moor in awkward places where other boaters will need to use a bit of speed. And after all, I bet all of us lose concentration on our speed occasionally when we are out relaxing and enjoying the cut - does this mean we deserve to have abuse hurled at us?

Edited by Breals

Charles

I'm moored above Brentford Gauging Lock on the outside of the pontoons nearest passing boats.

It does alarm me sometimes how fast people go past. The thing is when you're looking out your windows at a passing boat 3ft away it looks even faster, but I'm sure if you're on the boat in question it doesn't seem fast at all.

The best measure is to look at what's coming from their prop wash (if that's the correct terminology?). I've found that in at least 50% of cases they don't need to be using such high revs and really should be on tickover, especially since if they are heading towards the lock they'll have to stop anyway.

The canal is fairly wide here but there are boats moored on both sides and mine is wide. However, I haven't shouted at anyone yet because I don't like confrontation and don't really see the point as by the time I've looked at their wash they've already gone past.

I have never ever had a boat go past me too fast to annoy me.

I have been working on my boat for 10-12 hours a day every weekend for god alone knows how long. I am doing all sorts of jobs fitting out the boat, most requiring fairly steady hand. Either it is very stable indeed, or the problem is highly exagerated, sure it moves a bit but its a boat and any movement of the boat is not inconvenient in the slightest.

I am not moored tight against the bank because there is a concrete ledge that I have wedge tyres between the boat and said ledge, if I have the ropes tight the tyres squeeze themselves up and the boat rubs against the concrete. So the lines are loose (ish).

Also I am moored about two hundred yards from the Norbury Junction hire base where two hire company boats are moored, and two day boats regularly come and go. So both at the start and the finish of a lot of hire boats. Still no issues with speed.

On one occasion a hire boat just dropped of the yardman after their two hundred yards of training, and immediately revved the engine to flat out and I said woha there, he backed off staitghaway, he just made a miscalculation on the throttle lever. But that was for a second so it didnt rock the boat excessively. That is my only time I have said anything to anyone about speed.

Is it really that much of a problem?

A problem so big that people shout and wave at each other about it?

Whilst not for a moment doubting that many people pass some moored boats too fast, we have also come to the conclusion that there are a few people out there who we now call "serial complainers".

By this, I mean I can go the whole way up the Grand Union to Braunston, with no other complaint, (nor even a stern look), but there is one boat, (well moored on a long linear mooring with lots of others), where the owner can be guaranteed to stick his head out and yell "slow down", at just about whatever speed you are passing.

I was shouted at on our last trip out, depite passing on virtual tickover, with virtually no movement of any of the boats we were passing.....

I think there are just the odd few who actually make a hobby out of this, and who's days would not be complete without yelling at many of the passers by.....

(We are off up past him again tomorrow, so I'll see if my theory still holds!....)

I think there are just the odd few who actually make a hobby out of this, and who's days would not be complete without yelling at many of the passers by.....

I saw one of these a while back when it was moored next to me in the wide between Saltersford and Barnton tunell where there is loads of room and its deep. This woman would pop her head out of the side hatch and shout to slow down, must have done it half a dozen times that I observed. Saw same boat on the Bridgewater and I slowed as we passed, she stuck her head out just as we passed as I looked back and put her head back in as she saw me, I think she was going to say something but though better of it as I saw her, anyway there was a boat following so I kept looking back, and yes as soon as it passed "slow down" was called out, I had to chuckle to myself.

The other one is at Wincham Wharf where Haral take a liberty and brest up their for sale boats sometimes 3 deep, narrowing the canal. This bloke called out from within the depths of his boat to slow down, I said nothing but thought what a pillock, what does he expect mooring there, its so narrow you have to keep the power on to maintain steerage

Charles

On our home moorings, approaching from 'downstream' you pass a couple of moored boats, then through a bridge hole, and immediately see our pontoons. From the other direction we're blind, by the time you see us it's too late to cut revs, your wash is going to get us anyway. Having said that, as you are also approaching a blind bridge hole but can see boats moored through it, I'm quite surprised at some peoples' speed, whether hired or private, but in close on twelve months I think I've only yelled at 3 or 4.

On canals, our engine is happiest at three-and-a-little-bit mph, and is a bit rattly at two-and-a-half. I always slow for moored boats, but must admit my patience wears thin if there's any great length of online moorings, or the weather's grotty.

I was quite surprised, however, to be yelled at to slow down on one particular stretch going up the Shroppie, on a very wide stretch (in our 45-footer we could almost have 'U' turned), with online moorings one side and visitor moorings towpath side, when I reckon I was on fast tickover at about two-and-a-quarter.

To this particular moaner I gave him a puzzled look, stretched my arms wide to give my opinion of the navigable width, and yelled back "set springs if it bothers you!"

It does tend to make you wonder just how slow is slow enough for some people, or if yelling at passing boats is their only interest in life.

Hi,

Can someone humour me as to these 'springs' on the ropes?.

I agree, lot of the problem is the ropes. you do not need any slack in them and you need them at 45 degrees to the boat. I would also suggest that once tied up, you re-tie each end as its amazing what slack they can gain. Also, if you tie up in wet weather, the ropes shrink / expand with the water.

BUT:- YOU ARE NO WATER.... IT MOVES>>>> Get a caravan!!!

Food for thought...

Now.... there springs?......

I must admit I did get a bit of slow down rage when we had moored up for the night on the coventry and although our boat was well tied up and had very little movement, they did come out far too fast especailly asd they were approaching a bridge (we were well away from), but had someone been coming through, there would have been a collision, maybe sending one into us.

We always slow down to tickover. no matter whether they are occupied or not, as I think it sets a good habit (like people who never indicate in cars - but that's a whole other story).

I am guessing that some holiday companies just forget or simply don't tutor their customers very well and so they assume it's OK.

I think the polite smile back and ignore them works for me. They may think your mad, but it will stop them moaning quick smart!

Hi,

Can someone humour me as to these 'springs' on the ropes?.

I agree, lot of the problem is the ropes. you do not need any slack in them and you need them at 45 degrees to the boat. I would also suggest that once tied up, you re-tie each end as its amazing what slack they can gain. Also, if you tie up in wet weather, the ropes shrink / expand with the water.

BUT:- YOU ARE NO WATER.... IT MOVES>>>> Get a caravan!!!

Food for thought...

Now.... there springs?......

Springs are a method of mooring in which you have a long mooring rope passing from bow back towards the stern and attached to the bank near the middle of the boat or even further back. Then another one from the stern going forward in the oposite fashion. You also have bow & stern ropes going out at 45 deg in the usual way. It's supposed to allow the boat to move without pulling out stakes and adds to stability, but really I think it's more useful for shorter rounder boats so I've never bothered.

Scroll down to the second diagram on this link to see how it's done http;//www.sailtrain.co.uk/anchoring/alongside.htm

By the way, your comments on leaving slack on mooring ropes aren't quite correct. It depends where you moor. If there is any possibility of changes in water levels (and I can't think of any waterways where there isn't), then you should leave some slack to allow for this. My home mooring is on a pontoon so I don't leave any slack because the pontoon moves up and down, but I think this is the only exception.

We always slow down to tickover. no matter whether they are occupied or not, as I think it sets a good habit (like people who never indicate in cars - but that's a whole other story).

I am guessing that some holiday companies just forget or simply don't tutor their customers very well and so they assume it's OK.

The car analogy is very relevant. I think a lot of drivers who are new to boats or are hiring, find it difficult to get used to how slowly a boat moves (or at least how slowly it should move!)

Edited by blackrose

Hi BlackRose,

Interesting site, have booked it and will return to feast my mind!!!.

Of course, I meant to say depending on water levels, I was just writing before thinking!!.

I always use the top rope (middle Rope) when we stop for the night at it acts as an extra stabiliser, esp when the kids are running about creating havoc , while the wife is cooking tea, while I sit and read the paper!!! - I'll get me coat!

Neil

Hi BlackRose,

Interesting site, have booked it and will return to feast my mind!!!.

Of course, I meant to say depending on water levels, I was just writing before thinking!!.

I always use the top rope (middle Rope) when we stop for the night at it acts as an extra stabiliser, esp when the kids are running about creating havoc , while the wife is cooking tea, while I sit and read the paper!!! - I'll get me coat!

Neil

Yes, I find a bow, stern & centre rope quite sufficient for mooring up.

I always use the top rope (middle Rope) when we stop for the night at it acts as an extra stabiliser, esp when the kids are running about creating havoc ,

Neil

Hi Neil.

Using the centre line when mooring is not considered a good idea, it tends to increase the rocking action of the boat when other boats pass by.

Using the centre line when mooring is not considered a good idea, it tends to increase the rocking action of the boat when other boats pass by.

I always tie it up, but slacker than the other two - so I've always got a second rope if one of the end ropes comes loose.

I have two quality ropes attached to the centre ring - one at each side for handling the boat - and also I have an old rope I use for mooring as it touchs the side of the roof and when it does take the strain it wares the rope out fast (I wrap an old piece of towel round it if leaving the boat for a while).

Hi Neil.

Hi John,

I shall dip my cap to your wealth of knowledge, I am a mere fledgling!.

We use it when stopped for night, after 7.30pm is. I have personally found that it stops the boat rocking a heck of a lot when we are jsut 'mooching' around it and up and down. From memory, since we have been doing this not one boat has come past!!!?.

Apart from the widebeam 60 seater pleasure craft at Stratford upon Avon tearing up and down causing a 12 inch rear wave 10 foot from our boat.....where anything would have rocked!!

Neil