Chirk Marina

kienik

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

I've been looking around for a short while at new mooring places/marinas, I am currently on a farm mooring and have decided I'd like something a bit cleaner and user friendly (can't be dong with the mud being walked through the boat),

Having searched the monthlys and the net I've come across a few that I've short listed, these are below

1. Tattenhall Marina,

Not sure about this one, prices are ok. But it's still a bit out of the way, I.e a couple of days cruising before I get to my fav canal the llan

2. Nantwich. Marina

Bit pricey for what's on offer, good location tho

4. Swanley

No vacancies

5. Venetian

No vacancies

6. Chirk marina

Exactly where I want to be, good prices, although limited electricity and no wifi, this is my favourite out of the lot and I've been seriously thinking about this place.

I've been past a few times but never stopped off, it's looks to be a nice place, does anyone have any comments regarding Chirk marina, good or bad would be much appreciated.

To add, I'm not a live aboard, I live just outside Chester so chirk isn't too far from home, I generally get a coup,e of weeks a year free to cruise but I generally go out for a few hours on the bot most weeks when I'm off work, don't particularly want to do loads of locks when I go out for short journeys,

I think I've already sold myself on Chirk but would really appreciate some feedback from others.

Many thanks

Nik

Edited by kienik

We are at Tattenhall at the moment. It suits us and I quite enjoy the journey and locks up to Barbridge (though Beeston Iron Lock can be a pain on your own).

Have called in once at Chirk Marina for a gas bottle. Absolutely hated the floating pontoons...they were leathal. Not sure if all the pontoons are the same, but getting on and off the boat was very dodgy. Apart from that I can't say much...I was only there about 10 minutes.

Edited by Thorfast

We are at Tattenhall at the moment. It suits us and I quite enjoy the journey and locks up to Barbridge (though Beeston Iron Lock can be a pain on your own).

Have called in once at Chirk Marina for a gas bottle. Absolutely hated the floating pontoons...they were leathal. Not sure if all the pontoons are the same, but getting on and off the boat was very dodgy. Apart from that I can't say much...I was only there about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the comments, Tattenhall is very close to me as I'm currently on Golden Nook, I viewed Tattenhall a few times and was impressed by the facilities and the prices were reasonable, I think I want something a bit closer to or on the llan

Thanks for your comments tho

Nik

We stayed overnight in Chirk last year when Foxton Locks had a few hours of bother and we needed gas, diesel etc. so decided it was a good opportunity. Really really nice people - all the moorers we met were delightful. Pubs within walking distance and everything seemed fine to us.

I went to have a look around Tattenhall last friday as a possible mooring for Apache. Its one of the closest for my up-comming relocation.

I thought it was OK, lots of room, reasonably priced, the facilities were very clean and tidy and the staff I spoke to were very helpful.

It looked to be affected by the wind a bit but with a couple of pubs within a couple of hours ( supposedly lock free) cruising each way it seems a reasonable prospect for keeping a weekender boat, personally i'd not fancy living there (or indeed any marina) but that's me.

No fishing is a bit of a downer though :lol: and I though I saw somewhere it had a Bar but I don't remember seeing that.

Paul

We stayed overnight in Chirk last year when Foxton Locks had a few hours of bother and we needed gas, diesel etc. so decided it was a good opportunity. Really really nice people - all the moorers we met were delightful. Pubs within walking distance and everything seemed fine to us.

Ummm, Crick?

Flippin heck your boat must be fast Mr! Didn't you know there was a 4mph speed limit? :lol:

I think you may be mixing Crick with Chirk which is on the Llangollen branch of the Shroppie.

You should consider Blackwater Meadow in Ellesmere. Similar size to Chirk but easier to get to and in a much better spot on the Llangollen in my opinion (and pretty much lock-free) - plus great facilities and Ellesmere is a great little town, although the marina still feels quite countrified. Around Chirk can be a pain in the a*** in the summer, but from Ellesmere you've got the option of escaping down the Monty or Prees in the silly season (although Blackwater is a Canaltime base, which can be a nuisance). Blackwater is always popular but there are generally one or two moorings available up to 50ft.

Neil

You should consider Blackwater Meadow in Ellesmere. Similar size to Chirk but easier to get to and in a much better spot on the Llangollen in my opinion (and pretty much lock-free) - plus great facilities and Ellesmere is a great little town, although the marina still feels quite countrified. Around Chirk can be a pain in the a*** in the summer, but from Ellesmere you've got the option of escaping down the Monty or Prees in the silly season (although Blackwater is a Canaltime base, which can be a nuisance). Blackwater is always popular but there are generally one or two moorings available up to 50ft.

Yep I have a friend with a boat in Blackwater marina we usually stay on his boat when we go to visit, nice helpful friendly boaters and staff, gets busy on turnround days but great base to cruise from on the llangollen

Neil

We had to go into tattenhall marina for breakdown engineer very helpful & knowledgable, also let us stayover

Night free of charge impressed with marina &service.

Have you looked at church minstral marina new 2009 approx 3 miles from barbridge junction v impresed with this marina as well contact is robert or sue

You could hang on for a vacancy (or two) to come up at Venetian Marina? It has no vacancies because they're going to be doing work replacing the pontoons this spring/summer, so they don't want any more boats right at the moment; but will have space later. I'm sure Chirk is fine but its cruising opportunities are a bit limited. Venetian is a bit more central to a couple of other cruising routes etc.

Afternoon all,

I've been looking around for a short while at new mooring places/marinas, I am currently on a farm mooring and have decided I'd like something a bit cleaner and user friendly (can't be dong with the mud being walked through the boat),

Having searched the monthlys and the net I've come across a few that I've short listed, these are below

1. Tattenhall Marina,

Not sure about this one, prices are ok. But it's still a bit out of the way, I.e a couple of days cruising before I get to my fav canal the llan

2. Nantwich. Marina

Bit pricey for what's on offer, good location tho

4. Swanley

No vacancies

5. Venetian

No vacancies

6. Chirk marina

Exactly where I want to be, good prices, although limited electricity and no wifi, this is my favourite out of the lot and I've been seriously thinking about this place.

I've been past a few times but never stopped off, it's looks to be a nice place, does anyone have any comments regarding Chirk marina, good or bad would be much appreciated.

To add, I'm not a live aboard, I live just outside Chester so chirk isn't too far from home, I generally get a coup,e of weeks a year free to cruise but I generally go out for a few hours on the bot most weeks when I'm off work, don't particularly want to do loads of locks when I go out for short journeys,

I think I've already sold myself on Chirk but would really appreciate some feedback from others.

Many thanks

Nik

hi. we have been at chirk since 06 pm me some time for the low down. bob

Keep in touch with Swanley, as there may be vacancies coming up on the 60' pontoons - there are three boats on brokerage on the pontoons close to where we are. There are vacancies on the 70' and 50' pontoons as far as I can see.

Dave