River conditions

DillyDally

Featured Posts

Ok, I'm holding my hand up as a complete numpty to ask this question from you guys as I'm just going round in circles myself!

So, we're sitting in the marina (Barton Under Needwood on the T&M) this morning thinking hey it's lovely out, think we'll have a trip down to Streethay wharf to enquire about getting some seats made and fitted for the stern. Checked out how far on Water Explorer - no problem, then thought better check River section conditons at Alrewas on the Trent and Mersey. Thinking there must be a site for this... Sure I've seen it mentioned on here before so searched and came up with Waterscape. Can't seem to find it on here so tried to log-in/register thinking perhaps you have to be a member. When I click 'create an account' it takes me to the 'Boaters Update Page' on the CaRT site. About 3 paragraphs down is a link for 'My Trust' so clicked that and it takes me to another page on the CaRT site where there's various links including one for 'My stoppages / closures', clicked this only to find a message temporarily reverting you back to the Waterscape site!

Arghhhh... Somebody please help before I lose the will to live?

The environment agency have a river levels page on their website but to make any sense of the information you really need to know what normal river levels are.

The CRT website has lists of stoppages but unless flood gates are shut on that stretch it won't give you much information.

We're actually moored in the marina (have been for a couple of months) so am aware of the sign outside and could of course go look see (did that a couple of weeks ago when we went out) but I thought I'd check on line for the information. I mean, where would you check/what would you do if your cruising along and not familiar with that particular waterway... Just moor-up at any stoppages/floods you come to? :banghead:

We're actually moored in the marina (have been for a couple of months) so am aware of the sign outside and could of course go look see (did that a couple of weeks ago when we went out) but I thought I'd check on line for the information. I mean, where would you check/what would you do if your cruising along and not familiar with that particular waterway... Just moor-up at any stoppages/floods you come to? :banghead:

Here's the Environment Page that gives detailed information from a number of fixed reading points

(EA Site)

• Greenie 1

Yes. You could check everything on Saturday and by Wednesday it could be in flood so you just have to stop.

I'm also moored at Barton Marina :cheers:

I went to Alrewas lock yesterday and the Trent was 2 inches from the top of the red board and the lock was chained shut with a closed notice. When I brought my boat up just after Christmas I had to wait 3 days for the Trent to go down. It certainly was very high again yesterday.

Unfortunately I never found any info on the trent crossing online apart from either word of mouth of fellow boaters and being stuck there!

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?
  • Greenie 1

There aren't many measurement points in your area. If you drill down on the EA site and have a good idea of geography, you may get some useful info.

All I could find is Shardlow - Looky here

The table gives some history as well as 'is it higher or lower than useful'

• 2 weeks later...

GoodGurl and cl@rkey, I had seen/found both of those but thanks for mentioning them here. I've bookmarked them for future ref although it's a shame EA don't have an app for the flood section for making it easier to read on phones. Mind you, by the time we get out on the cut and rivers this year it'll be a lot busier and so 'word of mouth' from other boaters will be more accurate. ;)