Three Prospective Buyers coming this weekend

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

As you may have noticed, we're selling our boat

http://nbluckyduck.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/exciting-future-boat-plans.html

We've got three sets of potential buyers coming to look at it this weekend. Does anyone have any tips?

We've spent the past couple of days scrubbing and cleaning etc, and the weather looks like it will be good for showing off the boat.

Fingers crossed and I hope someone falls in love with it like we did!

Edited by Black Ibis

Invite them all to come at the same time and watch a bidding war break out.

Yes, I was joking.

The ideal is to make the boat look lived in (= cosy, welcoming) but not cluttered (=neglected, scruffy). E.g. row of books = good, heap of books thrown in corner = bad. Dressing gown lain neatly across bed = good, heap of discarded clothes on bed or floor = bad). Light the stove if you have one, preferably feed it on something fairly smokeless. Clean the windows and open up that front cratch cover (boat needs to look light and bright inside). This may seem like stating the bloody obvious, but if you had seen the state in which some boats which we have been to view were "presented".....

De-clutter, nothing puts me off as much as a boat full of someones else's personal stuff. I think people (well me anyway) find it difficult to relate to the boat possibly becoming yours when all the things in there are telling you it belongs to someone else. I think the word they use on the House Doctor is de-personalise it. Bung it in the boot of your car then put it all back when they've gone.

One of them is bound to buy it though anyway, as assuming it's as sound as it looks it is an absolute bargain, if anything I'd be looking for the catch as it seems almost too cheap for such a such a lovely boat.

Good luck selling it.

K

Honesty.

Answer questions truefully, don't tell porkies.

Be positive. Say only what they need to know. What I mean by that is, don't tell them about that thingymagig that caused all sorts of problems that you have now fixed and won't give 'them' any trouble, hyperthetical thingmagig.

Martyn

Honesty.

Answer questions truefully, don't tell porkies.

Be positive. Say only what they need to know. What I mean by that is, don't tell them about that thingymagig that caused all sorts of problems that you have now fixed and won't give 'them' any trouble, hyperthetical thingmagig.

Martyn

This a good one for us actually. The boat has had loads of problems in the past, all fixed now, but there's no need to go into them because they have been properly fixed such that they won't go wrong again (e,g raw water cooling removed and replaced with skin tank)

Be prepared for them wanting to look literally everywhere, and allow them to, any attempt not to will be seen as trying to conceal something bad. Tidy and clean is very important but don't go over the top as nobody appreciates a sterile environment. Looking at the advert I would say it's a done deal. Good luck.

We've got three sets of potential buyers coming to look at it this weekend. Does anyone have any tips?

We've spent the past couple of days scrubbing and cleaning etc, and the weather looks like it will be good for showing off the boat.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is to consider the location of the boat. If you have a permanent mooring then make that look as appealing as possible (they will be buying into the lifestyle and the dream etc). If you don't have a permanent mooring but will meet them somewhere on the cut, make it the most visually appealing but easily accessible to non boaty folk as possible.

Good luck.

Just demonstrate how much you loved it, oh and be honest about the foibles becuase very boat has them.

This a good one for us actually. The boat has had loads of problems in the past, all fixed now, but there's no need to go into them because they have been properly fixed such that they won't go wrong again (e,g raw water cooling removed and replaced with skin tank)

... and anyway, the prospective buyers can read all about them on your blog ;)

MP.

You're doing it already bringing up a problem you've had in the past with the boat "...won't go wrong again..." should be "one of the many improvements we made was to put in a skin tank, so much better than raw water cooled,even though it wasn't cheap to do but so much better etc". Both are true but if you say them out loud one to me sound so much better. Come on think positive, it's as good as sold anyway at that price.

How will you handle it if the first buyer offers you the full asking price (subject to a survey) and you've still got 2 more to come, what's your strategy?

K

You're doing it already bringing up a problem you've had in the past with the boat "...won't go wrong again..." should be "one of the many improvements we made was to put in a skin tank, so much better than raw water cooled,even though it wasn't cheap to do but so much better etc". Both are true but if you say them out loud one to me sound so much better. Come on think positive, it's as good as sold anyway at that price.

How will you handle it if the first buyer offers you the full asking price (subject to a survey) and you've still got 2 more to come, what's your strategy?

K

Phone up the others, tell them that it's under offer, but tell them that they can come and see it anyway if they want to, in case it falls through.

When I sold my previous NB I was totally honest with the chap, I insisted he come out on a trip with me and once out of the marina, I gave him the tiller and 30 seconds of instruction (long straight) while I nipped down for a quick wee. When I came back I saw he was doing OK, so I asked if he wanted a cuppa to which I got a yes. I made this while looking out the window to see all was going as it should. When I delivered the cuppa I knew the deal was done. By the end of the cuppa we had shook hands on a deal.

I think putting him on the tiller right off sold it.

This was the second serious viewer.

I think you will be fine. People buy people and you are both really nice.

Edited by Biggles

Take each of them out for a cruise!

Nothing like taking a viewer out for a cruise to get them feeling a bit more committed to you and YOUR boat than the others, who didn't bother.....

MtB

P.S. haha Biggles and me are agreed on that then!

• Greenie 1

I wouldn't be taking everyone who views the boat out for a cruise unless they come back for a second viewing and are serious. You'll just end up taking tyre-kickers for cheap days out. I had loads of people come to view my narrowboat who really just wanted to get on a boat for a look. If I'd have taken them all out for a cruise I'm sure it would have given them a nice day out, but I'd have just been wasting my time.

The one thing I would say is leave them to look around by themselves until they're ready to talk. It gives them the chance to imagine themselves being in the boat on their own and owning it. There's nothing quite as off-putting as being followed around, especially in the limited space of a narrow boat where more than 2 people is a crowd.

Edited by blackrose

If you follow all house selling advice, then as well as brewing coffee, smells of home baking is often recommend as a mood setter. Also fresh flowers in vases.

Slightly more down to earth I found on too many boats we viewed three were distinct smells of toilet arrangements - few things put me off more!

If you follow all house selling advice, then as well as brewing coffee, smells of home baking is often recommend as a mood setter. Also fresh flowers in vases.

Slightly more down to earth I found on too many boats we viewed three were distinct smells of toilet arrangements - few things put me off more!

Surely the boating equivalent of brewing coffee and smells of home baking would be fresh diesel oil and the aroma of a decent beer . . .