Jim Shead Site ?????

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have had this from Jim:

Hi Richard,

This time they are not giving me the option of changing it so as far as they are concerned that is the end of the matter. I do have an appointment with a solicitor next Tuesday so we will see what he can do. Many thanks for your good wishes and support.

Regards,

Jim.

Richard

Found this on another forum.

http://web.archive.org/web/200804020...ways/boats.htm

Not updated from 2008 though.

Hmm. Not only is our motor listed twice, but the butty is wrongly described as "unpowered". I've never bothered to look on the Jim Shead site, so I don't know whether the information was wrong there as well.

Hmm. Not only is our motor listed twice, but the butty is wrongly described as "unpowered". I've never bothered to look on the Jim Shead site, so I don't know whether the information was wrong there as well.

That was Jim Shead's site, archived in 2008. The information would be that which came from BW, presumably what you gave them :P

Richard

Is Mr Mountain's boat on there?

There is a RLM Bahama by the name of 'Harpagon' Built 1969., Length 30 feet 10 inches., Beam 9 feet 6 inches., 2 Diesel inboard engines total power of 120 HP., E.A. Thames Registration No. 35978 on the archived Boat Listing.

In a posting dated 07/07/2009 on another boating related website someone by the name of Timothy mentions "our RLM Bahama is heading off from Oxford to the Medway " and in an earlier posting he berates himself as a "sad anorak" for his obsession with maintaining an accurate log of his voyages.

I believe this individual to be Mr. Timothy Mountain, the man who back in 2005 launched a vituperative attack on Jim Shead and his excellent website, and who could well go down in history as the 'sad anorak' who through his obstructive behaviour has denied the simple pleasure of purusing a list of boat names and specifications to hundreds of his fellow boaters. That he should still be obsessing over this trivial intrusion into his privileged existence beggars belief, and I sincerely hope that he realises the strength of feeling this has engendered and comes down off his high-horse, or should that be climbs down, Mr Mountain ?

Les

Edited by lameduck
  • Greenie 1

There is a RLM Bahama by the name of 'Harpagon' Built 1969., Length 30 feet 10 inches., Beam 9 feet 6 inches., 2 Diesel inboard engines total power of 120 HP., E.A. Thames Registration No. 35978 on the archived Boat Listing.

In a posting dated 07/07/2009 on another boating related website someone by the name of Timothy mentions "our RLM Bahama is heading off from Oxford to the Medway " and in an earlier posting he berates himself as a "sad anorak" for his obsession with maintaining an accurate log of his voyages.

I believe this individual to be Mr. Timothy Mountain, the man who back in 2005 launched a vituperative attack on Jim Shead and his excellent website, and who could well go down in history as the 'sad anorak' who through his obstructive behaviour has denied the simple pleasure of purusing a list of boat names and specifications to hundreds of his fellow boaters. That he should still be obsessing over this trivial intrusion into his privileged existence beggars belief, and I sincerely hope that he realises the strength of feeling this has engendered and comes down off his high-horse, or should that be climbs down, Mr Mountain ?

Les

My cousin had an RLM Bahama (built on a Senior hull) built in 1969, named "Mark Charles"....I wonder if this is the same boat?

Mr Molehill gets around a bit...

Upware Boat Club Linky

Edited by TNC

Before visiting any boat for the first time I always checked out Jim Shead's site to confirm the identity of the boat I am about to examine.

BSS encourage examiners to use that site for this purpose.

Yesterday I visited a boat the owner of which is uncertain of the boats builder or year of build. On other websites the registration brings up a different name but of a different length, and also an old registration plate found on board which also brings up a different name and length. The owner , in poor health, is quite paranoid in the belief that he has bought an illegal or stolen boat. He says he has brought the matter up with the person who sold him the boat, and was met with some hostility. He also says that there are defects with the boat which the seller promised to fix, but either have not done so or have done in a shoddy fashion. He claims to be threatened by the two sons of the seller and police and BW have been involved.

I tried to help. I Spent hours going through the unorganised papers he had, which brought up another boat name which again did not fit in with the criteria I already had.

How I missed Jim Shead's Site. !

It was very important to me.

PS I would appreciate it if CWDF members do not attempt to Identify this boat or vendor for obvious reasons. (The mental health of the present owner being one of them) I believe that there has been a registrational cock up rather than deliberate deceit or theft.

Anyone here familiar with Wiki editing? Perhaps they could add Mr Mountain to the list on that wiki entry...

After all, all publicity is good publicity isn't it?

Sadly, it wouldn't cut the mustard, because there are no reliable sources that wiki would accept, and it would probably be deemed non-notable at present.

I could put an edit in, but I would be reverted within minutes.

Les

But wasn't Mr Mountain complaining about TWO boats. Let us not forget;

TT HARPAGON Built by AVON INFLATABLES in 1987 - Length 2.5 metres (8 feet 2 inches ) - Beam 1.3 metres (4 feet 3 inches ) a Petrol Outboard engine with a power of 4HP. Registered with EA Thames Region number M3402 as a Non Hire Annual. Last registration recorded on 02/03/2006.

That is from Google's archive of the boat listing on 17th January this year. It has been an awful long time since Mr Mountain licenced his tender.

My cousin had an RLM Bahama (built on a Senior hull) built in 1969, named "Mark Charles"....I wonder if this is the same boat?

Mr Molehill gets around a bit...

Upware Boat Club Linky

I wonder why Mr.Anorak hasn't had a moan about being on this site?

Maybe he thinks that this one is upmarket, whereas he thinks Jim Sheads site is a bit below him.

Les

Totally agree but could someone in the know name and shame Mr Sheades internet service provider, they must bear some blame in this debacle, if BW (CRT) and EA are happy to release the info with no data protection act implications who are they to censor?

123-Reg

It's in the earlier posts

Richard

And can someone here who is in touch with Jim suggest he changes his site host please? In particular I suggest he checks out www.andrewsandarnold.co.uk Run by Rev Adrian Kenard who takes a very dim view of censorship on the internet. I'm sure he'd be happy to host Jim's site, given his views on the subject.

MtB

Edited to add: Trying to insert a link to www.andrewsandarnold.co.uk , but for some reason it won't work as a link for me. I'll try again . Well THAT worked!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman