River Soar

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Hi all, am planning a cruise in May going along Trent and Mersey and down the River Soar past Foxton and onwards. Anyone know where the best places for over night mooring are down the Soar please? I hear they are few and far between.

Hi all, am planning a cruise in May going along Trent and Mersey and down the River Soar past Foxton and onwards. Anyone know where the best places for over night mooring are down the Soar please? I hear they are few and far between.

There are many mooring spots, however, ones secure if the river goes into flood are less available.

After Sawley Cut, you turn onto the Soar and can moor below Kegworth Flood Lock, and then above the deep lock. You can then moor above Zouch lock - this is also flood safe. Then you can moor in several spots in Loughborough, and have virtually 2 miles of (!!)flood free canal. Above Barrow Deep lock is next, this does rise as the sluices are inoperable, however, only by 2 feet maximum.

After this, mountsorrel lock has moorings below and above, Sileby lock, above Cossington Lock, quite a long stretch above Junction Lock past the Hope and Anchor and Gravel pits.

Birstall has visitor moorings, then Leicester city centre castle garden moorings (pontoon so flood protected), Kings Lock and then you are on canal again. Kilby Bridge has good moorings and services, after this, it is normal canal moorings all the way to Foxton - my favourite is non towpath side at Wistow.

We moored opposite MGM boats at Thurmaston - what I can't recall now is whether that is on a canalised bit or a river bit - somebody else will know though.

Just along from the Mill Lane Bridge at Barrow-upon-Soar was a good spot too - handy for a 'decentish' pub - The Navigation.

Edited by The Dog House

We moored opposite MGM boats at Thurmaston - what I can't recall now is whether that is on a canalised bit or a river bit - somebody else will know though.

same place as the Pearleys moored then!!

definitely river affected here,especially when the city sluices are opened.

Edited by matty40s

same place as the Pearleys moored then!!

definitely river affected here,especially when the city sluices are opened.

Indeed I recall it now -

It looked slightly less threatening in a very dry 2 weeks in April 2010

IMG_0127.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Well..........

I would recommend any of the following coming upstream from the Trent.

Just below Kegworth Shallow (Flood) lock. Anchor Pub a short walk over the bridge. Limited space off towpath below bridge also.

Above Kegworth Deep Lock (After the Narrow stretch & The Otter) up to the Devils Elbow (maybe 1-2 miles before Zouch) You may be lucky & find a mooring at the Otter if you need a pub.

Zouch Cut - Above the lock , can get busy but a friendly welcome at the Rose & Crown (Typically you will have to cross the foot or roadbridge to reach - A few mins walk)

Normanton - The Plough moorings (Normally Full !)

Loughborough - Around the Albion / Junction - Not my favourite as much nicer areas available but town nearby & favoured by many (Also consider the basin)

Barrow - Best on the Cut above Barrow Deep lock & before the weir past Barrow boating. The Navigation , Riverside & Soar Bridge Pubs riverside or nearby plus an Indian.(We favour the Navvy or Bridge!)

Mountsorrel - The Waterside Inn , Moorings below the lock or above.

Sileby - Below lock Towpath Side or above.

Cossington - Above Lock

Syston - Above Junction Lock before the Wreake Junction very peaceful.

Thurmaston - Not my choice but below / above the lock

Birstall - Below lock & very limited space above lock (Again not my choice)

Leicester - Castle Park , Fairly secure moorings in town - may be noisy , not moored there as we usually are on route.

After that , the river ends just below Kings lock , we have moored below when the water restrictions were on & usually quiet but you may be visited by the local lads who are fine if you are ok with them !!!! Above Kings lock & out of sight of the lock you will have a perfectly quiet evening.

Then - Carry on to Kilby bridge best spot for the night with one of the few facility spots on the Leics Line / Soar (There are plenty of Nice spots after Kilby)

I'm sure others will add to this!

Edited by benfordboy

Well..........

I would recommend any of the following coming upstream from the Trent.

Just below Kegworth Shallow (Flood) lock. Anchor Pub a short walk over the bridge. Limited space off towpath below bridge also.

Above Kegworth Deep Lock (After the Narrow stretch & The Otter) up to the Devils Elbow (maybe 1-2 miles before Zouch) You may be lucky & find a mooring at the Otter if you need a pub.

Zouch Cut - Above the lock , can get busy but a friendly welcome at the Rose & Crown (Typically you will have to cross the foot or roadbridge to reach - A few mins walk)

Normanton - The Plough moorings (Normally Full !)

Loughborough - Around the Albion / Junction - Not my favourite as much nicer areas available but town nearby & favoured by many (Also consider the basin)

Barrow - Best on the Cut above Barrow Deep lock & before the weir past Barrow boating. The Navigation , Riverside & Soar Bridge Pubs riverside or nearby plus an Indian.(We favour the Navvy or Bridge!)

Mountsorrel - The Waterside Inn , Moorings below the lock or above.

BenfordBoy has missed some pubs out further up - don't worry, there are quite a lot.......

Can thoroughly recommend the pub on the zouch cut. We managed to moor right in the beer garden and had a great night there followed by a great breakfast in the pub the following day.

We also spent a good night in the basin at Loughborough although this seems to split moorers a little some like it some don't.

We didn't get to see as much of the soar as we would have liked. But from what we did see we very much liked it. The lower reaches are stunning. The soar is certainly on our list of inland rivers to revisit when we get the chance.