The Anchor at Salterforth

Travis

Featured Posts

We got a new landlord in the Anchor just before Christmas. Previous to this the pub was on a downward slide as far as quality was concerned. Thankfully the new landlord Martin has turned out to be a 'belter.

Old faces who went elsewhere are returning, good honest food is now served seven days a week, the staff smile when you come in now and the place is starting get busy again. At last!

Is this a "plug" for the Anchor?...Bloody right it is, perfect location and friendly locals help as well. Pop in and see.

Andy.

Nice one Andy

I heard that Martin had taken the helm and if anyone can do it he can.

Our guests used to love staying at Salterforth on the last night as it is only a 10 minute pootle back to us - sadly over the past couple of years we have recommended the cafe at Foulridge as we found the dismal state of the place was not the right memory for the last night of their hols.

Once SWMBO has recovered from her op, we will be taking a walk down to say hello and gather some literature for the boats.

Good to hear,

we liked to use it as start or end point when taking friends for a cruise or for overnighting be good if the pub is worth a visit again.

In these difficult times for pubs they need all the custom they can get and boaters could be a great source of extra custom.

Took one of my customers there,about 18 months ago.The guy behind the bar then was a miserable git and we were glad to get out.

That sums him up.

We went with the kids in Summer 2011. Lovely hot day and kids playing in beer garden.

Beer munchies kicked in so I popped inside to order a couple of rounds of sandwiches etc.

"Where are you sitting" says Mr Landlord.

"Outside"

"We don't bring food outside but you can sit there and carry it out yourself" says Mr Landlord

"Ok, keep your bread, cheese etc and I'll keep my £15"

A most bizarre approach to customer service.

We got a new landlord in the Anchor just before Christmas. Previous to this the pub was on a downward slide as far as quality was concerned. Thankfully the new landlord Martin has turned out to be a 'belter.

Old faces who went elsewhere are returning, good honest food is now served seven days a week, the staff smile when you come in now and the place is starting get busy again. At last!

Is this a "plug" for the Anchor?...Bloody right it is, perfect location and friendly locals help as well. Pop in and see.

Andy.

Thanks for that Andy, I've avoided that place for some time now, it used to feel like you were doing the staff a favour if you went in for a drink and if you asked for food, well what can I say !!!!!

We'll give it a try when we come up in the Spring.

Dave

We went there in 1996. I don't remember who was in charge but the food and beer was excellent. If I remember correctly there was a flexible closing time.(Lock-In excuse the pun) A young man who lived in a boat nearby got up early the next morning just to help us through the next locks. Happy memories

Dekker :cheers:

Just having returned from a prolonged tea-time sesh I would like to agree with all your comments. Happy Days are here again! :rolleyes:

That's really great to hear! It was a lovely little pub when we met you there in 2009 and the trip down to the old cellar was fascinating. I was really sad to hear it had gone downhill.

Happy days indeed :cheers:

Andy.

Andy

Thanks for that, best news I've heard from your neck of the woods in ages :cheers:

Would love to pop in and have a jar with you and Wendy but we're stuck the wrong side of the T&M breach :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds idylic up there,don't suppose you know if there's any nice quiet long term moorings available nearby ?? :unsure::lol:

As I recall it's a Scottish & Newcastle House last time I was in there,a couple of days after the Jubilee Weekend, I ordered two pints of Cask Ale, it tasted terrible.

I was told by the barmaid "it must be OK as the landlord had put a new barrel on before the weekend" and as she had poured it "I was stuck with it" :banghead:

I vowed never to return and spent the next few weeks walking past the Anchor to go to the Greyhound where there was more choice and the beer was 50p a pint cheaper :clapping:

Hello John,

I wondered where you were, now I know.

I tried the Greyhound a couple of times but alas (I need to be careful here as the landlord is in there) mine host was about as happy as the old one at the Anchor.

Anyway...the Anchor is looking up!

Andy.

ps, Tommy two guns died in his sleep at Christmas. Hell of a shock but he had a hell of a send-off.

I vowed never to return and spent the next few weeks walking past the Anchor to go to the Greyhound where there was more choice and the beer was 50p a pint cheaper :clapping:

Is it the Greyhound that was bought by a customer co-operative? I've not been that way on for one of my quests lately.

Andy

Thanks for that, best news I've heard from your neck of the woods in ages :cheers:

Would love to pop in and have a jar with you and Wendy but we're stuck the wrong side of the T&M breach :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds idylic up there,don't suppose you know if there's any nice quiet long term moorings available nearby ?? :unsure::lol:

As I recall it's a Scottish & Newcastle House last time I was in there,a couple of days after the Jubilee Weekend, I ordered two pints of Cask Ale, it tasted terrible.

I was told by the barmaid "it must be OK as the landlord had put a new barrel on before the weekend" and as she had poured it "I was stuck with it" :banghead:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the beer, or its price, but maybe i'm out of practice ! Seem to recall a good selection of thwaites and jennings plus the usual euro fizz (lagers) last year.

Andy.

That was my impression when I popped in for a couple of pints last October. Expensive and indifferent beer. I remember thinking it deserved better, so glad to hear of the new management.

Given the C&RT mooring just outside it will be my first stop when I start cruising again in a few weeks, weather permitting.

Is it the Greyhound that was bought by a customer co-operative? I've not been that way on for one of my quests lately.

Thats the one

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the beer, or its price, but maybe i'm out of practice ! Seem to recall a good selection of thwaites and jennings plus the usual euro fizz (lagers) last year.

I was practicing everynight .... Believe me the Cask ale was Crap served by kids who thought everybody should drink eurofizz and should text rather than speak.

I don't have a problem with paying if the service and product is reasonable the fact he's gone says it all to me

yay four times I have called in last summer arrived about 5 to order five meals (not all for me ) told each time your too late or we don't serve food on a Friday once we were told don't serve food only on a Friday if he smiled I would have looked behind me for death coming to get me ,,,