WARDLE LOCK

Deerhoundjess

Featured Posts

Just wondering whether anyone knows what is happening to Maureen's place now. Work started last year and then stopped again ...............

She would turn in her grave if she could see it now. :angry: Will whoever owns it be working on it again this year?

Any news welcome.

The new owner posted on here some time back, so maybe they will tell you.

Edit

They post under the name of Wardle Lock Cottage.

Edited by ditchcrawler

The job of renovating such an old house is never going to be straightforward , a simple looking job that at the start looks to be do-able in a day or two turns into something huge , i think they have restrictions on what they can and cant do as well so no doubt it will take time , would be good to see how work is progressing and what is being done and how , nothing like getting stuck into a good rip out , putting new life into something worth saving.

Just wondering whether anyone knows what is happening to Maureen's place now. Work started last year and then stopped again ...............She would turn in her grave if she could see it now. :angry: Will whoever owns it be working on it again this year?Any news welcome.

I must admit to finding the OP's post a little strange given that she previously posted

Hi

Looking forward to meeting you all when you finally move in - it looks such a sad cottage at the moment, can't wait for work to begin. You will know me when you see me - I am the lady with the three lurchers and walk that way most days in the afternoon. Shall be looking forward to trying the biccies!!!!

As a local surely she is better placed to ask the new owner who posted as Bubblefizz in the original Wardle Lock post.

The apparent lack of progress by the new owners she draws attention to is probably causing them a lot more grief than a mere passer by

Edited by Offcumden

Maybe they are trying to get planning permission. Just guessing as I don't know

Agreed.

If it is a listed cottage they will have to have staged inspections too, examining the work and its progress.

Work may have come to a halt whilst they are waiting for the officials to arrive.

Edited by carlt

I've met the new owner, he's doing a lot of the work himself & like many of these jobs once he got into it more problems where found. He did indicate it would be a slow job, fitting it in between his work. Also the cottage has since been broken into having it's copper pipes stolen causing damage. I would guess come spring work will recommence, circumstances allowing.

If it is a G2 listed building, it could take some time. The school where I work is such a building, and doing anything is a complete nightmare. A recent re-roofing job has been put back a year because it turned out that the new roof would be 2 inches higher owing to insulation boards, and this was unacceptable. Getting anything done with the parties responsible is like breeding elephants. There are lots of jobsworths in there.

Tried a serach for applications on the local council web page but it wasn't working very well so got no results.

Tried "wardle" in the Cheshire East planning site; came up with one for the footbridge and one for the wooden bollards (remember them!). Nothing for the cottage.

I looked at the place before the auction and had the legal pack. It needed a huge amount of work doing and the restrictions placed on it by both listing status and BW were very onerous. BW's bywash goes under the cottage!

Hi thanks for all the replies. Yes it is becoming an eyesore as it is being broken into now. The window being the latest and now boarded with a couple of pieces of wood. I too have tried very hard to find any planning applications and cannot find any. :banghead: The new owner had done a lot of work when they first got the cottage, stripping the walls back to brick and virtually re-building the inside - then suddenly stopped well before the end of last year. I walk past this cottage virtually every day and find it quite upsetting to see its deterioration and hope that soon work will recommence to make it the quaint cottage it should be.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, Let me re-introduce myself. I'm Dave, the owner of the cottage, along with my wife and 2 young children. We are still fully intending it to be our family home as and when we can get the rennovations completed.

As PPs have said, it is a long and involved process, of which I have made a start. The work is being done between paid work for both me and my wife and our family life. It was never going to be a quick process.

Work stopped at the end of last summer when I arranged a visit from the Council to discuss moving some walls etc. Listed Building Consent has to be obtained for any further work and this is taking time. I don't think that any applications will show on the council planning website as we don't need Planning permission for any of the immediate changes we are proposing.

The cottage was broken into last summer and all heating and water pipes along with most of the electric cabling were stolen. This has significantly hindered progress, particularly through the winter.

Who should she ask? I haven't seen anyone at the cottage and it looks as though locals don't know. Maybe they are trying to get planning permission. Just guessing as I don't know

I've not been there often over the winter as there is little I can do at the moment. A couple of the neighbours, Middlewich Narrowboats and NB Alton all have my contact details, as do the local police.

We went through on Saturday 12 Jan & a front window had obviously been forced. The place looks very sad at

the moment

We didn't know about this break-in until several days after this. In future, could anyone please report any suspicious occurences or criminal damage to the police immediately. If you ever see anyone there, please talk to them, if it's me or my family, we'd be more than happy to meet you. The cottage does now have an alarm fitted, so that should deter most of the scrotes.

If any of you would like to offer any help, please get in touch, and I'll let you know when I need you. ;)

Thanks

• Greenie 1

Firstly, Let me re-introduce myself. I'm Dave, the owner of the cottage, along with my wife and 2 young children. We are still fully intending it to be our family home as and when we can get the rennovations completed.

As PPs have said, it is a long and involved process, of which I have made a start. The work is being done between paid work for both me and my wife and our family life. It was never going to be a quick process.

Work stopped at the end of last summer when I arranged a visit from the Council to discuss moving some walls etc. Listed Building Consent has to be obtained for any further work and this is taking time. I don't think that any applications will show on the council planning website as we don't need Planning permission for any of the immediate changes we are proposing.

The cottage was broken into last summer and all heating and water pipes along with most of the electric cabling were stolen. This has significantly hindered progress, particularly through the winter.

I've not been there often over the winter as there is little I can do at the moment. A couple of the neighbours, Middlewich Narrowboats and NB Alton all have my contact details, as do the local police.

We didn't know about this break-in until several days after this. In future, could anyone please report any suspicious occurences or criminal damage to the police immediately. If you ever see anyone there, please talk to them, if it's me or my family, we'd be more than happy to meet you. The cottage does now have an alarm fitted, so that should deter most of the scrotes.

If any of you would like to offer any help, please get in touch, and I'll let you know when I need you. ;)

Thanks

:) good luck with the renovations and I am sure that when finished it will be a wonderful, lovely home for you and your family :) I know its not always easy, I bought an old stone Welsh cottage that had been empty for years for myself and my saplings, and with working fulltime it took me 5 years to turn it into a pretty family home. :) when problems arise .. just think .. ok!! once its all completed it will have been worth it :)

:smiley_offtopic: but only slightly !

Maureen Shaw to be honoured this weekend with canalside tribute

http://www.middlewichguardian.co.uk/news/10305246.Maureen_Shaw_to_be_honoured_this_weekend_with_canalside_tribute/

Would love to be there but unfortunately not :( Can imagine Maureen standing there, like in passed years viewing the 'goings on at her lock' God bless her and may she rest in peace :cheers: